Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

They’re effectively the same as burned. Some of us want to have an option where you can still obtain (rarely) a review for mastered subjects but it has not or will not be implemented.

2 Likes

I see what you are saying about this one, and I agree. And if you report it to the bunpro team they answer they will give you is a bit unsatisfactory normally.

They normally just say something like
“the grammar point says :‘nd そうな carry the meaning of ‘seeming like (A)’, or ‘looking like (A)’.’ That is enough information to understand that this is a low confidence phrase.”

But either way it isn’t terribly important, it’s just there to help you learn the proper emphasis of the phrase. In other words, you just get used to it.

Hello!
Could we get an option somewhere in the settings (or is there already one) to get back the previous SRS Tile Zone with the gold seals and cool spooky ghost on the Dashboard?

2 Likes

Hello,

Maybe someone has already proposed this, but it could be great a simple animation when you slay a ghost. I think it would be very satisfying!

Beside this aspect of gamifying Bunpro, at the moment you don’t really know if you have «killed» a ghost, unless you check your dashboard.

Have a nice day!

3 Likes

It would be nice to have an option to only study only grammar from 1 level at a time.

I’ve reached the point where I’m getting a lot of similar grammar points and I’m getting a lot of reviews wrong. Even some N4 and N5 believing them to be a more complex grammar point form N3 or N2.

Knowing from what level my answer is coming from would I feel give me better insight into what I should choose. It would also help out in clearing out easier grammar reviews. Some may benefit from doing those as a warm up, or even at another time during their study session. Especially if you’re somewhere and want to do a few, but don’t want to get too deep in the meta of later grammar.

Having visibility of seeing how many reviews you have in each grammar level can also ease the tension if reviews pile up. You can tackle one at a time, especially if one took a little break.

Who knows, maybe this feature exists and I may not even know it. If it does, please let me know.

1 Like

I’d love to have an option where I can see what I typed not only in hiragana but also in romaji.

Why? Because around 10-20% of my wrong answers are actually correct but I just mistyped somewhere.

E.g. I type “ki” but wanted to type “ke”, I press backspace and expect the i to be erased but as it’s already transformed into き I deleted the whole character and it ends up being え.
Or I use my Lenovo Miix, a Windows tablet that has the annoying feature to set the docked keyboard into standby after a few seconds. Often the first character is killed by that. So if I write “ki” the k is not recognized but just wakes the keyboard and it recognizes only the i resulting in い instead of き.
Or I just mistype something naturally because the muscle memory of my native language sabotages me typing Japanese.

Of course I could proofread everything but as no kanji is in the Japanese text I can’t just scan it, I really have to read it because I’m not used to Japanese without kanji at all. And that takes time, it’s annoying and even then I don’t discover all mistakes (I actually tried it).

With an additional romaji text my brain could go into scan mode and I would recognizes mistakes much more easily.

I wonder whether other users have the same problem? Or is it just me?

I have to say I love the deep-friedness of this :rofl:

Any particular reason you’d like to go back to the old ones?

1 Like

So, something like a review reordering feature? Aka, click on something that says “Only review N5 Grammar”, or something among those lines that’ll filter out your reviews/reorder them.

2 Likes

Yes, something like that would be very helpful I think.

1 Like

Not related, so sorry for being off topic, but I didn’t recognise @Daru without the enthusiastic support of Matsuoka Shuzo…

However. Cat. Cat good.

1 Like

Sure,
The red-to-gold emblems scratched my game progression itch, and the old ghost was kind of a lowkey mascot character for me. I assume he’s been replaced by a FontAwesome one?

Overall, to me it seems like one step towards the common stylistic trajectory of many apps that started out unique and fun, and then became more “flat” as time went on and they got bigger. A bit of aesthetic personality was lost to fit with what is prescribed as correct for the times, or to make it more phone-friendly.

If I’m the only one, I’d settle for hotlinks to the old pngs to jury-rig it for myself with a custom css extension, lol :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

More decks would be great, though I just had the idea that a deck for 古文 in the same manner of the 関西弁 deck would be exceedingly useful

1 Like

Hi Okayfrog, sorry for the late reply from us! Most of that specific type of hint was written a very long time ago, and we would like to improve this in addition to other polishing work we are currently doing.

Apologies for the poor experience here! We will do our best to make this consistent with the primary grammar page as soon as possible. :bowing_man:

In the meantime, perhaps using the nuance hint may be helpful? They were all rewritten quite recently and should reflect the information you would have learned on the grammar page a lot closer.

Looks like N3 items got shifted with overflow to the left two times. Most of these items near the end of N3 I remember being at the beginning of it.

Edit: Whoops, didn’t notice there was a separate feedback thread for bugs.

1 Like

Long time SRS user… was using Stackz on Windows & Windows Mobile (pre-iPhone) and moved my vocabulary lists to Flashcards Deluxe.

Bunpro is great because it helps take care of grammar examples - my weakest area.

I tend to make the same mistakes even with simple grammar points, and one possible reason is not having a firm grasp on the differences, nuances, or rules for each grammar concept.

In addition to grammar sentences, it might be beneficial to add several different approaches that emphasize the fundamentals of each grammar point as multiple choice.

This could be expressed in several different ways:
- True / False
- Pick the Most Appropriate
- Select why

True / False
Examples: (Correct answers are bolded)

• だ = to be, is
    • True or False
  • です = to be, is
    • True or False
  • だ cannot be used with い-adjectives
    • True or False
  • だ can be used with い-adjectives
  • True or False

Pick the Most Appropriate
Fill in the ______, which is the most appropriate?
_____寝坊したの?

1. また
  2. だいたい
  3. ところが
  4. から

Fill in the ______, which is the most appropriate?
私は、___旅行に行くつもりです。

1. そして
  2. だいたい
  3. ところが
  4. また

Select why
In the following example, why is grammar point most appropriate?
ここがいいだろう
Definitions of the incorrect answers were pulled from かしら、ここ、も as a proof-of-concept.

1. だろうExpresses that the speaker thinks that something is true (assertion/expectation), and also that the listener would probably agree with them.
  2. だろうis a standalone 終助詞しゅうじょし (sentence-ending particle) that works in a similar way to かも, by expressing the speaker’s uncertainty about the previous statement.
  3. だろう represents ‘this place’, or simply ‘here’.
  4. だろう can mean ‘too/also’, or ‘even’, or ‘neither/either’, depending on if the sentence is affirmative or negative.
2 Likes

Hey, I’m not sure if it’s been suggested before, but I would like it if I could select either the male or female voice for auto playing during reviews.
Same for what is default during lesson examples. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like the sample sentences for the vocabulary but I struggle with reading in the way they’re shown at the moment. Any plans on displaying the kanji with furigana on top, instead of showing it in parentheses?

Or can I change it somewhere in the settings?

2 Likes

And… talking of example sentences for vocab, is there any way to cram those too?

1 Like

This is a bug we will have fixed with the next patch! Sorry about that.

@Marcus there isn’t right now, but it is on the roadmap…

2 Likes

Wow! That’ll be amazing! You guys are amazing!

2 Likes