といわれている - Grammar Discussion

it is said that
is known as

Structure

• Phrase + と・いわれている

View on Bunpro

Is there a grammar point which the after こと comes from?

Is it https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/199 ?

I am constantly confusing といわれている and とされている…

彼かれが力強ちからづよいから、ゴリラマンといわれている。 He is know as~~
Is it not possible to also have としてしられている here? :thinking:

Interesting question! Depends on the English translation for this I guess. If it is “he is known as” then I’m not sure there is anything wrong with your suggestion. I stand waiting to be corrected however.

彼が力強から、ゴリラマン といわれている
He is called Gorilla-man as he’s so strong.
彼が力強から、ゴリラマン として知られている
He is known as Gorilla-man as he’s so strong.

As in English, the meaning is very similar, the nuance is just slightly different. I feel として知られている also feels a little serious/ almost up-tight even, given the context.

1 Like

Ooh I see, that’s interesting!

The official translation from bunpro is “He is known as Gorilla Man because he is strong.”, but I didn’t know that として知られている had a more ‘formal’ nuance.

For some reason, I kind of have it as a set phrase in my head more so than と言いわれている which is why it’s the answer I keep jumping to, but since it’s just supposed to be in a casual context then it would make sense for と言いわれている to be the preferred :smile:

Yeh, its obviously a tongue in cheek sentence so i feel として知られてる is a little stiff.

Grammatically i dont think theres anything wrong with what youve said. What do you reckon @Pushindawood?

For the sentence:

私の妹は歌たを上手に歌るとよくいわれている

Wouldn’t it be a little redundant to use “とよく”? Especially since that’s shoehorned into the grammar point to make it a bit more confusing? What’s wrong with 私の妹は歌たを上手に歌るといわれている? Or is that sentence more like She is good at singing a good song?

The と in this grammar point is the quotation particle. Anything following it is not part of the quote. The よく applies to the verb 言う and is where the “often” comes from in “it is often said”. よく often means “frequently”.

The first half 私の妹はを上手に歌える means “my sister can sing songs skilfully”. To say “good songs”, the noun would have to be modified e.g. いい歌.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. My bad for not being used to reading quotes without the 「」s

Sooo… if the ‘と’ here is the quotation particle, is the ‘言われている’ in this grammar point combining

‘言われる’ (passive) and

‘–ている’ (present progressive)?

So a very literal translation might be something like ‘it is being said that…’? Or am I misunderstanding this?

1 Like

Hi and welcome!
Yes, pretty much exactly how you explained it. I don’t think you would even need ‘being’ - just “It is said that…”

1 Like

Ah thank you! I think understanding this will help me remember it

Revisiting this grammar point from my understanding the difference is:

といわれている
Repeating or reporting on something that has been said by someone else.

とされている
Reporting on a wildly held belief or opinion held by others.

1 Like

from the textbook 完全マスター it say といわれている something that is generally believed, more like people say that. which is very similar to me とされいてる is widely considered 。 does anyone know if they are interchangeable if so when or not? is とされているmore stuffy?

2 Likes