while, during, between

Structure:
Verb + 間に
いAdj + 間に
Noun・の + 間に
なAdj・な + 間に

View on Bunpro

Regarding this example sentence: 私が暇なあいだに 、電話をかけてください。

Why is it wrong to say “私が暇なうちに、電話をかけてください” ?

1 Like

It is not wrong and you can say it!

Though AうちB has a nuance, that it is best to do B during A (before situation changes, and likely will make B hard/impossible etc).

So,
Please, call me when I am free, because I will be busy or something and won’t be able to answer.

vs simple
Please, call me when I am free.
aidauchi

間 simply means period. :+1:

4 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Similar question!
私が家にいる間に 、電話をかけてください。

May I ask why is
私が家にいるうちに 、電話をかけてください。
wrong?

Based on your explanation, it sounds like うちに would actually be better here.
Thank you!

1 Like

Hey and welcome on the community forums :blush:

Very well observed! You are right, “私が家にいるうちに 、電話をかけてください。” is correct, and it has more emphasis than 間に.

(Simple “Please call me while you are at home” vs "Please call me while you are at home (because you won’t be able to do it when you are not there, or some other circumstances.)

You need to use 間 simply to advance the SRS. If you write うち the answer is considered correct (yellow) but the system asks for another solution.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your answer! I asked this specifically because when I typed “うちに” my answer was rejected, it was not yellow, so I got a little confused.

1 Like

:bowing_man:

It turned out that only うち(by itself) has been added as the alternative answer! Now, うちに is also included, so it should work properly from now on!

Thank you very much for the feedback! :bowing_man:

2 Likes

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello!
I have another similar question!
For the sentence ちょっと見ない間に随分大人になってね。
why is ちょっと見ないうちに随分大人になってね。incorrect? (I just typed うちに and it rejected it.) I thought that their meaning is similar. I have asked about this on hinative and they told me うちに is correct. ( https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/14660891 )
So maybe there is a difference I’m unaware of? Thank you!!!

1 Like

Hey :grinning:

It is correct, it turns out that only うち (without に) was added as the alternative answer :bowing_man:

I have fixed it so that うちに is now accepted!

Thank you very much for the feedback, and sorry for the inconvenience!

1 Like

Ah, I see! Thank you so much for the quick fix! I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had some trouble understanding why 間 was usable in some examples (e.g. 仕事に行くまでの 間に…), but this detail made it a lot easier to understand! Perhaps this literal meaning could be added to the grammar point’s meaning section? I think it would help other people understand it better too.

2 Likes

In the following example sentence の is used before that grammar point, which would follow the noun rule, but the sentence actually has a particle before the grammar (まで). Is there a general rule that means that this should be treated like a noun?

仕事しごとに行いくまでのあいだに掃除そうじしたかったけど無理むりだった

2 Likes

I came to ask exactly the same question!

Hi, is there any difference between 3時から4時の間に and 3時から4時までに? I’m always confusing between both and always pick the wrong one (the second one).

2 Likes

@Michakun
Very long time no see!

X時からY時まで(not までに!) and X時からY時の間 are similar in that that both express range of time.

But the first one simply means “from X to Y” while X時からY時の間 、B。has additional nuance, that something (B) continues over the period of time described by 間. Or in case of X時からY時の間にB. that in some moment during the range described by 間に something (B) happened.

このイベントは3時から4時までです。
This event is from 3 to 4.

3時から4時の間、テレビを見ていた。
I have been watching TV (constantly) between 3 and 4.
Expressions like ている・ていた and ずっと are often used with 間

3時から4時の間に、電話が鳴った。
Telephone rang (sometime) between 3 and for.

I hope it helps,
Cheers

1 Like

A 間に B
B takes place, while A

The event B must be of short duration and properly contained within the bounds of activity
A. If B extends throughout the time when A Occurs, we use 間 instead of 間に.

I found this distinction in the Genki textbook helpful so I thought it would be worth sharing.

3 Likes

Can the following sentences be clarified:

この山とあの山の間の谷に、僕の実家がある。
背が高い二人の間に挟まれて、ちょっと嫌だった。

I understand that 間 can refer to space both temporal and spatial, but it seems to me that the focus of this point is largely temporal whereas these sentences are focusing on a spatial use (between mountains and between tall people).

Am I missing something?

2 Likes

This grammar point always refers to space!

The first sentence is “in the valley in the space between the mountains”, whilst the second one is “between two tall people”, like you’ve correctly pointed out.

Could you give a bit more clarification on what is it that you feel like you’re missing? To me it seems like you have a good grasp.