てもらう - Grammar Discussion

to get someone to do, to have someone do

Structure

• Verb[] + もらう

View on Bunpro

1 Like

What about ていただけますか as in

免許証を見せていただけますか。

Would ていただけますか rather belong to this grammar as a polite version of てもらう plus potential plus question? Or rather to this grammar:

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/134

Just received the following sentence for てもらう:
雨が降りそうだから、(その人たちに)傘を もっていってもらって ね。[持もって行いく]
And I’m simply not grokking how the filled in part works.
Granted, I haven’t done the readings, but a quick skim of Tae Kim shows it wouldn’t have prepared me anyway.
So can I get an explanation how this break down?

1 Like

Hey :smiley:

雨が降りそうだから、その人たちに)傘を もっていってもらって ね。

もらって is contraction of もらってください。
So:
雨が降りそうだから、(その人たちに)傘を もっていってもらってくださいね。
It looks like rain, so please have them take umbrelas (for my/our sake).

If something is still not clear, then please ask!

2 Likes

So the fact it’s もらって also informs the もっていって before it?
I kind of understand this in vacuum, specifically here, but what would have informed me that this kind of form was needed? The please?

I’m also confused about this sentence.
雨(あめ)が降(ふ)りそうだから、(その人(ひと)たちに)傘(かさ)を もっていってもらって
Why is it もっていってもらって and not もっていってあげて? (It often confuses me when to use もらうand when あげる/くれる.)

I sincerely hope this doesn’t come off as pedantic but in the following example sentence

雑誌にあった漢字の読み方が分からなかったので、ネイディブに読んでもらう。

What is the past tense of ある doing before 漢字? I understand that its modifying the noun as taught in Verb[た] + Noun, but in my head all I can read it as, is “the kanji that exisited (kanji that was)”

I only ask because if I was writing the sentence I would have left it out, which makes me think i’m missing some nuance here or there.

He couldn’t understand the reading of the kanji in the magazine (past tense) so he’s going to ask a native (future). I think it’s natural to use the past tense of ある (“kanji that were written in the magazine”) when talking about the past. It doesn’t mean that they don’t exist anymore.

BTW: Did you copy the sentence or did you type it with your keyboard? Something got messed up with the IME I think :wink: But that shows that Bunpro really needs a “copy sentence” button by default.

1 Like

Thank you for the prompt reply, Anthropos!

“kanji that we’re written” Ahhh! why didn’t I pick this up, being an obvious contextual clue since its in a magazine. Seems silly now but you helped me tons!

Ah! I typed my answer out this time to avoid mistakes, but alas it looks like Google-IME gave priority to a word I recently typed making it 感じ instead of 漢字 haha!

1 Like

I don’t really understand what it means by “Aてもらう often indicates that A was requested before.”

@Enecororo Welcome to the community!

This just means that whatever is being asked for has most likely been asked for before or happens on a regular basis. Let’s take the first sentence on Bunpro as an example: 私は母に宿題をしてもらった 。We can infer that this is probably not the first time the speaker has had their mom do their homework for them. Keep in mind that this is not always the case, it is just often the case. Cheers!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I already know the answer but just to be sure. This sentence implies the whole phrase “I drove and he rode in the back” is what I received right?

Or could this also be interpreted as I drove and only received “him riding in back” as if I didn’t want him in the passenger seat or something?

1 Like

@Johnathan-Weir
Hey :cowboy_hat_face:

You can think of it as:
彼は運転が下手だから、私が運転した。そして、彼には後ろに乗ってもらった。
“And I had him sit in the back. = He sat in the back. + I asked him to do so.”
So it would mean that sitting him in a back was the benefit I received.

I hope it helps,
Cheers!

4 Likes

Is it just me, or is this phrase generally a bit pushy and rude feeling? The English translations all come across this way, and I’m curious if the 日本語 connotes the same feelings?

よろしくお願いします。

1 Like

Hey @solaero

Good question!
By itself it doesn’t have a nuance like this. It is good to think about it as:
“to receive some benefit from someone’s action” and てもらう often implies that we convinced that somebody to do that action (that’s often difference between もらう and くれる).

Though with some verbs it certainly might sound rude:
辞めてもらう
死んでもらう
去ってもらう
黙ってもらう

I hope it helps,
Cheers!

2 Likes

I am struggling big time not confusing てもらう and てくれる. Some videos tell me that the subject “I” should be at least indicated with てもらう but in the example sentence
あの人は誰にでも何でもしてもらうことが出来

I was certain that with another person being talked about that てくれる would need to be used but it seems like I am missing something fundamental here.

Thank you!

Usually “I” is the subject of てもらう, but the verb もらう means “receive” so the subject can be anyone as long as the giver is not the speaker (because then you need あげる). くれる means “to give” and has an implied direction from outside group to inside group, that’s why it’s usually translated as “give to me”.

Aは…てもらう。 A receives the benefit of something from someone
Aは…てくれる。 A gives the benefit of something to me/us

1 Like

Why in this sample

It looks like it might rain, so have them take an umbrella (for me)
雨が降りそうだから、(その人たちに)傘を[casual request]ね。[持って行く]

Correct answer is もっていってもらって and not もっていってもらう

it comes from もっていってもらって (ください)
the もらって form is at the end is because its wanting you to provide a casual request, a request just ommitting the ください to make it more casual

1 Like

Thank you very much. Is there any chance to point Bunpro tutorial over this pattern?