この - Grammar Discussion

this

Structure
この + Noun
Noun near the speaker

View on Bunpro

In which situations would you use ここの instead of この? I can understand if you are using の as a possessive particle like the example sentence:
ここ の食たべ物ものは不味まずいです。
This place 's food isn’t good.

But why wouldn’t you use この in this example sentence:
ここ の店みせは美味おいしいですか。
Is this store/restaurant delicious?

When would you use そこの, あそこの, and どこの?

I think it’s the English translation phrasing feels a bit awkward and I would use the orange box as a rephrasing guideline. Part of it is Japanese giving redundancy of “here” and specified place (store) that makes it a little goofy on a literal translations.

I hear “The food here isn’t that good”. It’s easier to say and more concise while adhering to using “here” for ここ. I also hear "this place’s food (here) isn’t that good.

I wouldn’t phrase like this either…sounds like someone is eating a restaurant.

I hear “Is the food here (restuarant/store) delicious”? or “This store/restaurant here is delicious”

I think they are somewhat interchangeable depending if the emphasis is on objects or locations. They had this example in the この grammar point:

この 公園(こうえん)は広ひろいでしょう。
This park is spacious, isn’t it?

For the other way, I think it still works, just slightly different.
ここの公園は広いでしょう。
This park (here) is spacious, isn’t it?

3 Likes

This makes more sense, thank you!

2 Likes

I wish the tips for this item included “has to be followed by a noun”, as well as the rest of the Xの items.

1 Like

@SilverGoffer Thank you for your suggestion! I have updated the structures for all “Xの” items as well as the hints/warnings displayed to include this information. Cheers!

I feel this should be here, rather than ここ, but why, in this example, is it written ここのレストラン, instead of このレストラン?

1 Like

I have a slightly different question than above…

What is the difference between this example:
このケーキは大きいです。
and this alternative (assuming I wrote this sentence correctly…):
これは大きなケーキです。

I think the former is “this cake is big” and the latter is “this is a big cake” but I’m not sure if one is more correct than the other, or if it’s just two ways to say the same thing.

They’re equivalent as far as I can tell. Except 大きい is an いadjective. So do not use な. な is for nouns only (な adjectives are actually nouns)

1 Like

Actually it’s okay. 大きい and 小さい are odd in that they can also be used as 大きな and 小さな. (Although I think the な variant is more common when spoken.)

2 Likes

Your translations are correct. Just like in English, they are different sentences emphasizing different parts.

What do you have there?
This is a big cake.
(“This cake is big” doesn’t make sense here)

What do you think of that cake?
This cake is big.
(“This is a big cake” could work too.)

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the help everyone, very much appreciated!

1 Like