• Verb + ので
  • いAdj + ので
  • Noun・ + ので
  • なAdj・ + ので

[objective cause/reason・emphasis on the effect/sentence as a whole]

View on Bunpro

今日は先生が休みなので、授業がなくなった

Is “なくなった” the same as “なくなった”?

In this case, both examples are basically the same thing, but the nuance lies in the verb なる (past tense なった), which means ‘to become’.
授業がなくなった translates as “there became no lessons” which we obviously wouldn’t usually say in English but is perfectly natural in Japanese.
授業がなかった is the most simple way of saying it and basically means “there were no lessons”.

1 Like

Thank you! It explains my doubt in this matter :smile: However I have another question:

Why なる becomes “なくなった”? According to conjugation table from
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/57
past negative is “ならなかった”. Feel free to just provide link to proper lesson :wink:

Hi
This is because you’re not using the negative form of なる. If you said 授業がならなかった, you would be saying ‘the lessons did not become’, which would be strange as you aren’t saying what they didn’t become.
For example 授業はバイトにならなかった means ‘lessons did not become a part-time job’. I’m not sure of an instance where this would be appropriate but I’m sure one probably exists :joy:

なく is a conjugation of ない, which means ‘not’.
なった is the past tense of なる, which means ‘to become’.

So your example sentence means ‘they became not’, which is why the positive form is used instead of the negative form. They literally BECAME (positive) not there.

Hopefully that makes sense anyway.

1 Like

Now I got it :smiley: Thank you very much for in-depth explanation :slight_smile:

1 Like

私わたしは寿司すし が好すきではない ので 、食たべない。
Shouldn’t it be “なので” since “好き” is a -な adjective?

No, you would only put that in if it came directly after the 好き.
寿司が好きなので食べる。
寿司が好きではないので食べない。

2 Likes

Ok,thanks, i was confused because technically speaking “じゃない” isn’t a verb or an -い adjective, right? so i didn’t know this rule existed.

It’s a verb.

ない/ありません is the negative form of the verb ある/あります - the verb ‘to be.’

It’s also worth mentioning that 好き is an adjective, whereas in English we generally use it as the verb ‘to like’.
In Japanese, 〜が好き literally means “〜 is like [by someone]”

2 Likes

oh ok, got it, thanks for the answer.

2 Likes

Is it ‘wrong’ to think of this as a conjunction? Bunpro, seems to list it as a post-particle / suffix kind of thing. But watching the Japanese Ammo video in the readings, it can also be used at the start of a phrase. It feels like a conjunction to me, but (big disclaimer), I’m viewing from a very anglicized bias. So how exactly would a more native speaker view it?

Hey :blush:

Very interesting question! ので is considered to be conjunction (接続助詞)that expresses reason/cause. Other conjunctions are から、けれども、が、のに and so on.

I hope it helps :wink:
Cheers

2 Likes

Ah ok, thank you! This helps a lot.

I tried clicking “report bug” on the example sentence for this and it was unclear that did anything at all, I thought I’d post this here.

In the example sentences list this one looks fine, but when I get it as a review, there is a rogue がなかった that I don’t believe should be there.

My grammar is awful, and I struggle with everything. And tonight this one has been really bugging me…

… why is the answer ので and not だから? They both mean “because”, right?

Can anyone explain this in really simple terms for me? Thank you so much!

1 Like

My guess is that it’s because it’s asking for “emphasis on the effect”.

Others feel free if I have this wrong.

1 Like

Lucky for you, we just had this discussion like two weeks ago. Not sure if the discussions and links here will help shed light on this (very common) annoyance, let me know if you’re still confused!

2 Likes

Thank you both @Megumin and @EdBunpro ! Much appreciated!

2 Likes

Also 太い is an い adjective so it could only be 太いから, but not だから.

2 Likes