GrammarInTheWild - Daily Discussion

Summary

It’s ‘our’ :blush:

3 Likes
Summary

@s1212z
Yes using it as a noun was my intent. When I wrote my sentence it seemed obvious but your first remark made me doubt and, after searching on the Internet or in my paper resources, I couldn’t find anything for or against this usage… (for all that it is worth, bunpo-check does not find any error). I will ask my japanese teachers if this usage is OK. Or maybe someone more advanced than me can confirm/infirm whether it’s OK?

3 Likes
とか

Grammatically speaking it looks fine to me! I don’t use とか like this myself, but I am about 99% certain that I have heard people put it in that part of the sentence before. Words like くらい、とか、ほど、など、etc can be difficult because they are required to come directly after the noun/verb before them (even before particles), but then the sentence just continues like that word doesn’t exist afterward. So whether something sounds natural or not is more about who you ask, than actual grammar (dialect).

5 Likes
Summary

And yet the money you’re playing with is public money, right? It’s our tax money!

I have to admit I struggled a bit trying to think of a natural way to phrase this one, but feel like it turned out quite well ^^ (hopefully it’s not glaringly wrong :stuck_out_tongue: )

6 Likes
T

Furthermore, that entertainment money is probably public funds after all, right?! It’s probably our own tax dollars!!

U

どうせ準備をしているから、どこかで夕食をたべましょう。

Summary

A sitting talent will go farther than a walking fool.

Sounds like words of wisdom from a proverb (I have not heard it).

Sorry to cast any doubt, @Asher 's explanation makes sense and these are great discussions to help learn so thanks for confirming on hearing it before. It appears it is behaving like a clause to be grammatically correct…or at least that is the way I’m seeing it.

4 Likes

Nevertheless, that spending money [money for enjoyment] in any case belongs to all of us, right?! These are taxes we have collected!

4 Likes
Translation

Moreover, that play money is probably public money, isn’t it?! It’s our tax money!

5 Likes

Late on this one, but it’s Berserk so didn’t want to pass it up.

Translation

Compared to Griffith-sama, other military officers are pitiful!

Edit - Hey I got a title next to my name now! @Asher is that your doing? :smiley:

5 Likes

September 29th Translation

Notes :
だろうが・だろが is quite an uncommon, but very strong use of だろう. Basically it is the opposite of the questioning form だろうか. With だろうか the intention is to get an answer to something that you are wondering about, but だろうが has the intention of giving an (obvious) answer, to a question that the other person probably didn’t even ask. It is usually strongly accusational.

8 Likes

September 30th
上がる・上げる

Text :
ポイントカードをお忘れの場合、10日以内に押印が有るお買上げレシートと一緒にレジまでお持ち下さい。

Note :
Bit of a tricky one this time from the fine print of an in-store notification! We added the full sign in the background to give a little bit of extra context about the type of shop it comes from!

8 Likes

Hahah not my doing! But I like it! :rofl:

3 Likes
Translation

In case you’ve forgotten your point card, please bring your stamped purchase receipt with you to the register within 10 days.

一年間ご利用がない場合はポイントが失効します。

In the case of 1 year without utilization, points will expire.

Some other things I noticed from the image:

• 入会費 - No admission fee!
  • 年会費 - No annual fee!
  • 入会後すぐに使える - You can use it right after admission!
9 Likes
Summary

In the event you forget your points card, please bring them together with the marked purchase receipt to the register within 10 days

7 Likes
Translation

If you forget your point card, please bring it to the cashier with your stamped purchase receipt within 10 days.

8 Likes
Translation

In case you forgot your reward card, please bring it within ten days to the register with your purchase receipt stamped with a seal.

Use case

いつ私たちは「日本のすごい競走」を仕上げるかな。

7 Likes

If you forget your points card, please bring it with the stamped sales check to the cash register within 10 days.
If you don’t use points within a year, they will expire.

7 Likes
T

On the occasion you forget your point card, within 10 days please bring your pointcard and purchase receipt to the register for seal imprint.

U

お腹すいたか?インスタントラーメンを作り上げたよ。

Summary

We are wondering when the Amazing Race will finish.

6 Likes

September 30th Translation

Notes :
上がれ・上げれ is another grammar point that is seen in many set phrases. In this case, the nuance is ‘Your -completed- purchase receipt’, as it is referring to the future. Meaning ‘If you finish shopping today, and suddenly realize that you don’t have your point card, bring today’s receipt -from completeing your shopping- to the register with you’.

4 Likes

New thread for October can be found here!

3 Likes

@Asher Thank you! I also got confirmation from one of my teachers that this construction Nとかのせいで is indeed used. But it is slightly incorrect according to her because とか is a bit familiar and used in spoken language whereas せいで is rather formal and written. So one should say Nなどのせいで or Nとかで for instance to be consistent, although Japanese people do use Nとかのせいで. Last のせいで as a nuance of accusation so one should avoid to use it.

2 Likes