GrammarInTheWild - Daily Discussion

Even if we are separated, wherever we are, we are the team.

5 Likes

はなれていても、どこにいても、わたしたちはTEAMチームだ。

Translation (Attempt)

Regardless of how distant we are or where we are, we’re a team.

* Guess about verb usage

Is it because the verbs are referencing location and state of being of the team, rather than an action being performed by the team? For instance - if it were “Regardless of whether we win or lose, we’re a team” then it would use 〜にしても〜にしても instead?

My Sentence

食べるにしても、食べないにしても、いつもお腹が空いている。

5 Likes
translation

No matter if we are separated or where we are, we are a team.

use case

氷を入るにしても入らないにしてもウイスキーが好きではありません。

@blacktide's use case translation

食べるにしても、食べないにしても、いつもお腹が空いている。
Regardless of whether I eat or not, I am always hungy.

4 Likes
T

Regardless of whether we are apart or somewhere else, we are a team

U

合格にしても失敗にしても一所懸命に務めて続けなくてはいけない。

blacktide

Regardless whether I eat or not, I’m always hungry

MZa

Regardless whether I add water or not, I don’t like whiskey.

入る I believe is incorrect, perhaps 入れる or 足す?

Don’t give up, there are many excellent whiskeys out there.

3 Likes
@s1212z

Regardless of whether I pass or fail, I must continue to work with the utmost effort.

Two small things - I believe the pattern for continue to do something is masu stem + つづける, so it would be 努め続ける instead.

Also, 務める is specifically for working for someone, or being employed at somewhere. Maybe 頑張る would be appropriate?

I’m far from an expert though so I could be wrong. :sweat_smile:

@MZa

Regardless of whether I add ice or not, I don’t like whiskey.

Same here @MZa, I’ve tried to like it but I just… can’t.

3 Likes

August 29th Translation

Notes :
This sentence does not use にしても… Why not? The answer is due to the types of verbs that are being used. If you notice that in each case, the verb has to do with the way a person is ‘existing’, not performing a specific action. にしても can also be used in this way, to show that something is ‘Regardless of where you are’ (not just what you do).

:bowing_man: to @blacktide who got it correct on the first guess!

5 Likes

August 30th
い-Adjectives

Note :
There are a few ‘missing’ words in this sign, so try to add in the words that you think fit best!

4 Likes

Thanks for the shoutout @Asher, glad I was on the right track :partying_face:

水分、塩分の補給はこまめに涼しい場所で小休止

Literal Translation

Water, salt replenishment frequently, short break in a cool place.

Natural Translation

Drink water and electrolytes frequently, and take short breaks in a cool place.

Translation note - I changed salt to electrolytes here, mainly because I think that was the original intention (sports drinks on the poster), and I don’t think we’d ever tell someone to “drink salt” in English lol

Use Case

寒いピザと暑いピザとどちらが好きなの?

6 Likes
Summary

Boy lots of fill-in-the-blank on this one!

Interpretation:
[Be safe and make sure] to frequently check and replenish [lost] liquids and salts.
[Be sure to take] short breaks [often] in a cool place.

EDIT: ah! “electrolytes”! I couldn’t think of the word. Good one @blacktide !

6 Likes
translation

Frequently replenish with liquid and salts (edit: or electrolytes as @blacktide smartly proposed).
Take breaks in a cool place.

use case

今回のは欠落の言葉が多いからまず難しく見えたけど本当に易いです。

you guys' use case translation

@blacktide 寒いピザと暑いピザとどちらが好きなの?
Do you prefer a hot or cold pizza?

@s1212z 合格にしても失敗にしても一所懸命に務めて続けなくてはいけない。
Regardless of whether I pass or fail I have to continue working as hard as I can

4 Likes
blacktide (MZ too)

You are correct, it should be 勤め続ける :sweat_smile: I even double checked 続ける just before posting for a sanity check and still managed to type it wrong (doh), probably because I’m always hearing 務めている

The attempted expression was “Regardless whether you succeed or fail, you must continue to strive (as hard as you can)”. It wasn’t meant to be a pass/fail examination intent. You are right, it does have a ‘service’ nuance…hopefully it still holds water for what I wanted.

T

Take care of your water/sodium replenishment in a cool rest area.

U

めんこいな~

blacktide use case

Which do you prefer, hot or cold pizza?

MZa use case

This time’s (translation) since there are alot of missing words, at first it was difficult but it actually really easy.

Please confirm, I believe the intent is ‘at first’ but まず may not fit here. Otherwise I may be wrong but I usually hear まず in the beginning with a “First of all, …” flavor.

4 Likes
Confirmation to @s1212z

Yes, congratulations, you got most of what I wanted to mean. Just “it seemed difficult” (難しく見えた) instead of “it was difficult”. I hope I used this point in the proper context, because I am still a bit confused with all the ように, みたい, はず and so on but it’s getting clearer with time… (hopefully)

3 Likes

This sort of pattern actually happens a lot and is part of a more general pattern, I think.

Once I was going through one of the example sentences in the Tobira textbook, and I was utterly confused by the following sentence:

こんなまずい料理おいしいなどと言ったのは誰だ?

So I asked about why を was used here, and got many responses from native Japanese speakers on HiNative, but the short story is that: AをBと言う ≒ say that A is B ≒ say A as B

In response to this, I made my own example sentence and asked if it was natural, and 5/5 Japanese people on HiNative graded the following sentence as natural:

そのテスト簡単だと言った人はめっちゃ頭がいいなぁ。羨ましい。

So it seems that the following pattern occurs often:
[something]を[judgement (of quality, difficulty, etc.)]と[quotation verb (e.g.: 思う・言う)]

The DeathNote sentence example seems to fit this nicely:
僕は既に「死神のノート」を現実だと疑ってなかったが
死神のノート is the “something” that is being judged/evaluated
現実だ is the judgment (of it being a reality)
と疑ってなかった is the quotation particle and verb.

Hope that helps in parsing things! I remember when I first learned this, I started seeing it everywhere haha

7 Likes

Bookmarked this post to review it later, what an explanation. Thanks!

4 Likes

Remember to drink enough water and take in some salt
Take a short break in a cool place

4 Likes

If it’s so common, I wonder if we can add it as a grammar point :thinking:

With your sentence, and all the other examples, が would be equally as natural, so I’ll have to do a bit of research about whether there is a limitation on the types of verbs it uses (communication/feelings/etc). 疑う isn’t a form of communication, but if it implied ‘to doubtingly say’ (out loud or in your head) that would make sense.

I’ll look more into it! 🙇🏼‍♂️😁

Thanks for you input! If we can make a pattern of it that would be cool!

7 Likes

August 30th Translation

Notes :
Fluids and electrolytes would probably be the most natural for this one, as ‘salts’ is not often used outside of medical terminology in English (and even then it would probably be sodium). When used in warnings, こまめに can come across as ‘to be attentive to/while’.

5 Likes

August 31st
場合は

Bit of a long one this time with quite a few grammar points we could have chosen! How many individual grammar points can you count used in this sign?

6 Likes

I think on the left side it’s supposed to say 入居者以外 instead of 以上.

4 Likes

Oh dang good catch! Will change now!

Changed!

以上 or 以外?

(Both would be natural on this type of sign. 以上 would just be more ‘above and beyond what’s on your contract’, where as 以外 is ‘anything outside of your contract’)

5 Likes