GrammarInTheWild - Daily Discussion

Translation

Leopalace21 Use Only
Use of this facility is prohibited except for tenants. If you are found to be in violation of the rules, we will collect a fine.

6 Likes

Leo Palace 21 property [for private use]
Can’t be used by non-residents
(You will be fined if such case will be discovered.)

5 Likes
T

Outside tenant use is forbidden.
Detected activity in that location will be fined.
(Lit: In the event of detected activity in that location, it will be fined)

Not sure I would put a comma in the panel like here, it makes feel like the clauses are connecting which can be deceiving. The parenthesis in the actual sign was more foretelling.

U

しっかりしろ!深酒している場合じゃないよ!

5 Likes
translation

Use by people other than occupants is prohibited.
If found in this area, you will get a fine.

use case

知っていた場合は来なかったなあ。

@s1212z 's use case translation

Come on! It’s not a circumstance to drink heavily!

5 Likes

入居者以外の利用を禁ずる(その場で発見した場合は罰金を徴収致します。)

Translation

Use by non-tenants is forbidden. If that situation is discovered (in the case that), a fine will be collected.

I’m a little late but glad I got it in before the translation was posted!

4 Likes
Summary

More literal: [We] forbid the use by anyone other than residents. In the case that [we] discovered [you] in that place, we will [humbly] fine you.

More natural: Usage by anyone other than residents is forbidden. If you are found in that spot, you will be fined.

– I’m assuming this about a parking spot.
– I like how, even when they’re being severe with you, they’re politely telling you.
– I don’t know how many people realize, but when you are speaking politely/formally in English, you often use passive form. (“you will be fined” instead of “we will fine you”)

5 Likes

August 31st Translation

Notes :
This one was quite tricky! @s1212z was correct, I probably should have used brackets to make it easier to differentiate between the two parts of the sign! 申し訳ございません.

A part of this sign that seemed a bit interesting was 徴収, which is a levy. The main difference between a levy and a fine being that a levy will be automatically applied to your next rent fee, and will probably not result in any further punishment (just a lot of wasted money).

4 Likes

September 1st
そんな

6 Likes

そんなのかわいそうだろ……

Translation (Attempt)

That kind of thing is pitiful, isn’t it?

I’m sure there’s a more natural way to translate it based on the context…

EDIT - Maybe “It’s such a pity…” would work for a natural translation?

Use Case

そんな例文は短いけど、難しい。

5 Likes

That one is pitiful I think…

4 Likes
T

Isn’t that pathetic…

U

どんなラーメンが一番好き?

MZa

If you/s.o knew (already), I wonder why you/s.o. didn’t come?

:+1:
Several translations choices here, can also use “this is no time to…”

Oop, forgot one

blacktide

That kind of sentence is short but difficult.

5 Likes

I was going to skip as usual, but it seems Asher has picked today’s soundtrack for me.

[The circumstances are] something [kind of] pitiful…

Going by the pictures I’m assuming this is when the old man was [not quite] dealing with the realities of his life (and body).

4 Likes
translation

This is so pathetic, isn’t it?

use case

そんな毎日の翻訳の問題がとても面白くて便利ですね。

use cases's translation

@blacktide そんな例文は短いけど、難しい。
Such an example sentence is short, but difficult.

@s1212z どん なラーメンが一番好き?
What kind of ramen do you prefer?

5 Likes

Isn’t this a sign for people who aren’t tenants, though? How will they have money added to their rent if they aren’t tenants?

4 Likes

Maybe it’s talking about use from tenants coming from neighboring apartments.

2 Likes

It’s a sign for people that aren’t tenants, but it’s directed at tenants. Meaning if you ‘let’ someone else stay in your apartment, you will be responsible for incurring the cost if you decide to break the rule.

4 Likes

Ahhh I see! Thank you!

2 Likes

September 1st Translation

Notes :
A bit of extra context! This comes from a panel after the main character buys a dog, and his wife suggests to leave the dog in a Kennel outside. In reply he says そんなのかわいそうだろ. Meaning that it is pitiable, or he would feel sorry for it, so he would prefer it if the dog stayed in the house.

5 Likes

September 2nd
ございます

4 Likes

There is an alcohol corner on the back side.

3 Likes