GrammarInTheWild - Daily Discussion

Translation

あんだけ遠出するって言ったのに?

あんだけ = kansai-ben of あれだけ (to that extent; to that degree; that much; that many)

遠出 = trip; excursion; outing

する = turns 遠出 from a noun into a verb

って = casual quotation

言った = past of to say; to utter; to declare

のに = despite; even though; and yet

Rough = Despite talking about going on a trip to that extent?

Natural = After all that talk about going on a trip?

6 Likes

I hope you said* you’re going out for a walk that far?
[* to any adult in order to get permission I guess?]

I’m not really sure but I guess that のに is something like “I hope”, “but” here.
Edit: or maybe it’s “even though” indeed, as @blacktide translated it

5 Likes
Summary

あんだけ
To that extent
遠出するって
going on a trip/going away
言ったのに?
Despite him saying

Although he said he was going ?

5 Likes
Summary

“Even though you went as far as saying you’d go on that trip?”

Depending on how あんだけ ties into the sentence it could also be sth completely different, really dont know.

Tldr: I have no clue at all this time. Especially not knowing the context this is said in/ to whom and if this is a “you”/“I” reference. Not even sure about what あんだけ is further describing, the “trip” as in making it into “all this way” or something like that…

or maybe “the quote” as in "even though you said as much as/went as far as … to say [insert rest of sentence] like done in the translation attempt above…?

Looking forward to the solution.
Edit: Fixed some typos.

5 Likes
T

But they said they were going on a trip…

あんだけ is coming up as Kansai ben to あれだけ. I don’t know anything about this plot or if I’m completely here. Particle ending のに might be a nice BP addition.

Little frustrated on that last attempt, but then again I don’t even understand the English (even with the context of cosmetics) so maybe I shouldn’t even care. I’m grasping alot of 2nd and 3rd meanings to fill an interpretive context in some of these scenarios which is backfiring quite a bit. Seems better to just go in google translate mode.

U

彼女氏に電話した時『すみません、あなたは誰ですか』って言った。

4 Likes
Translation

“even though you spoke so much about going away?”

The あんだけ confused me for a bit, but its in Jisho along with あれだけ as ‘to that extent’ ‘that much’

5 Likes

September 14th Translation

Notes :
あんだけ is a word that could potentially be classified as kansaiben, but due to this being a manga, it is very hard to tell if the character is actually from that region, or just using a slang version of あれだけ. With manga, dialectual language is usually very over-expressed, so being able to tell if it is dialect or slang will quickly become obvious.

5 Likes

September 15th

Text :
青銅器の原型・三足土器
殷王朝が成立するよりも前に、3本足をもつ日常生活用の土器が登場します。左の土器は「鬲」とよばれ、穀物を蒸すために使われていました。殷王朝時代の青銅器の原型になりました。

Note : 殷王朝 refers to the Yin Dynasty in ancient China, for which this book is about (and the period before that!).

Extra note : There is another 鬲 on the far left side of the one in the picture, but was cut out due to spacing (you can see in the middle at the top, on one of the pages!)

5 Likes
It's going to be a trend that I'm participating when procrastinating on work or my Japanese homework, lol. Well, I'm still learning Japanese, so it's a productive activity! And usually my tasks get done before the deadline anyway.

Bronze ware prototype * Mitsuashi earthenware

Since before the establishment of the Yin Dynasty, 3-legged earthenware is introduce into the market for everyday life practical use.

The earthenware on the left is to be called “Reki (Chinese kettle with three legs)”, it was put to use to steam grain/cereal/corn.

It has become the Yin Dynasty’s bronze ware prototype.

5 Likes
Translation

Three-legged earthernware, the Prototype of Bronze Ware.
Before the Shang Dynasty was established, three-legs having daily use earthenware made it’s appearance. The left earthenware is called “鬲” (chinese kettle with tree legs). It was used for steaming grains. It became the prototype for the bronzeware of the Shang Dynasty.

5 Likes
translation

Bronze Pot Mold or 3 Legged Clay Pot
Everyday use clay pots with 3 legs from even before Yin Dynasty can be been found. The clay pot to the left (the picture) is a 鬲 (Chinese kettle with 3 legs) and it was used to steam grain. It became a mold for bronze pots from the period of the Yin Dynasty.

6 Likes

Bronze examples of the three legs earthenware
Edit: whoops, looks like it should be “the three legs earthenware, a prototype of a bronze one”.

Three legs earthenware appeared in everyday use even before Yin Dynasty. The earthenware on the left is named “reki”, it was used to cook cereals. In times of Yin Dynasty there appeared rekis made out of bronze. (Edit: This earthenware become prototype for rekis made out of bronze in times of Yin Dynasty.)

5 Likes

Mitsuashi Earthenware, Bronzeware Prototype

Before the formation of the Shang Dynasty 3-legged daily-use earthenware appeared. The earthenware on the left is called “tripod (reki, 鬲)” and was used for steaming grains.

I learned something interesting today.

5 Likes
Summary

Bronze archetypical three-leg pot

Compared to designs before , the three legged everyday daily use pot was introduced in the Shang (Yin) dynasty. The pot on the left is called ‘reki’, was used in order to steam grain. It became the design of Shang Dynasty bronze archetypical type.

5 Likes

After painstakingly looking-up almost every word:

Summary

“Bronzeware prototype – 3 legged earthenware
Before the establishment of the Yin Dynasty, earthenware with three legs appeared for daily use. The earthenware on the left “3 legged kettle” design, was used to steam grains. This became the prototype for bronzeware in the Era of the Yin Dynasty”

Not confident haha!

5 Likes
Translation

Precursor of Bronze-age utensils : Tripodal ceramics

Appearing before the foundation of the Yin Dynasty, three-legged ceramics were often used in daily life. The clay pot on the left, known as a “reki”, was used to steam grain and became the model for later bronze-age utensils.

5 Likes

September 15th Translation

Notes :
Looks like there were lots of really good translations for yesterday’s challenge, despite having a few unusual kanji!

Although it isn’t as common as some of the other uses of より, よりも tends to strengthen the ‘from’ nuance, and is similar to ‘from even before’. 登場します in this sentence is similar to ‘would’ in English, for speaking about things in the past ‘Since before the Yin dynasty is when the pots would make their appearance’. This is an example of how something that does not use past tense may seem unnatural at first glance, but we actually do it in English too!

5 Likes

September 16th
まず

4 Likes
translation

Firstly, feel free to get in contact with or visit the 東急リバブル赤羽センター

5 Likes
Summary

“Please don’t hesitate to contact the Tokyu Livable Akabane Center first. Please come and visit us.”

5 Likes