GrammarInTheWild - Daily Discussion

It is often simple to start from the basics, so :

わたしペンです。

My pen

So the pen is the item owned. We can then substitute pen for 好きになる人 (person to fall in love with) for :

わたし[好きになる人]

My (person to fall in love with), so the 私 is the one who falls in love with the 人.

8 Likes
Summary

それに私の好きになる人ってクズみたいな男ばっかだからなぁ
Moreover, the person I fell in love with is only interested in trash things.

Not sure how to separate the sentence so I tried it in one go.
Plus, I think I read the beginning of that manga so free context for me :smiley:

5 Likes

Little late on this one - but I feel like my manga shelf obligates me to translate this.

Translation

フリーザはサイヤ人の底知れぬ可能性をおそれている

Frieza is afraid of the unlimited power potential of the saiyans.

EDIT - Mistakenly translated 可能性 as power instead of potential.

6 Likes
Translation

それに私の好きになる人ってクズみたいな男ばっかだからなぁ

In addition, it’s because people I like are only men who are losers.

This one was more difficult to parse than usual, but this is what I came up with:

• 私の好きになる人 - “people I have come to like”
  • って - casual form of , the topic particle
  • クズみたいな男 - “loser-like men”
  • ばっか - short form of ばかり, means “only” or “nothing more than”
  • だから - “it’s because”
  • なぁ - ending particle usually expressing talking to oneself
6 Likes
translation

それに私の好きになる人ってくずみたいな男ばっかだからなぁ
Moreover it’s because the persons I fell in love with are only men looking like dullards!

use case

自分の翻訳のなかでたくさんのことに自信がありません。「ばっか」とは「ばかり」の略語だと思っているけど自信がありません。それに「って」は「は」の助詞と同じだと仮定しました。

5 Likes
T

Besides, it’s because the men (s.o) falls for are merely losers.

U

気持ちが良くなるように風呂に入ったほうがいいよ。それに君の髪が臭いんだ。

4 Likes
@MZa

Dogs can’t sleep in the wild.

I don’t have alot faith in my translation. I thought “ばっか” was an abbreviation’ばかり’, but I’m not confident. Moreover, I assumed the ‘って’ particle as the same as ‘は’.

4 Likes
T

Besides, the only guys that I end up liking turn out to be jerks

Summary

それに - kind of hard to translate this taken out of context. Could be : also, in addition, plus, besides, etc…

私の好きになる人って - lit. The people my liking becomes

くずみたいな男 - lit. Guys that are like trash. I decided to go for a family-friendly translation here with “jerks”, but some more explicit language would work just as well if not better. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

ばっか - slang for ばっかり/ばかり

だから - because

なぁ - sentence ending expression that reflects things like yearning, regret, envy, etc…

4 Likes

September 18th Translation

Notes :
For common words like ばかり that are used for emphasis, there are often lots of different variations that can be used. Usually if you read a word that looks somewhat like a word that you are used to seeing in that position in a sentence, there is a good chance that it is just a slang variation of the one you know.

5 Likes

September 19th
によって・による

Text :
法律により、年齢確認実施中です。未成年者には酒類を販売しません。

7 Likes
Summary

This is alcohol/alcoholic.

In accordance with the law, age verification is being implemented.
Liquor will not be sold to minors.

6 Likes

Hey, you added the text! :star_struck:

Translation

Due to the law, age verification will be enforced. Alcoholic drinks will not be sold to minors.

5 Likes

My first thought when I saw ばっか was “jeez, they’re already losers, now they’re stupid too?” Then I realized it was a variation of ばかり and not バカ. :sweat_smile:

Like you suggest, バカ wouldn’t really fit in that place in the sentence though so that was my first clue.

2 Likes

Yep! we will add it to everything from now on :partying_face:

It only takes a few seconds extra and if it encourages more people to have a shot at it, then it is time well spent! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This may just be a convention that I have noticed in all of my reading, but another small (but potentially helpful) thing to keep in mind is that adverbs/particles and similar words will usually be emphasized through use of the skip-mora(っ) ばっか, whereas nouns are far more likely to get emphasized through elongation(ー) バーカ.

I would say that this is a pretty regular occurance, and may just be a speech/language habit, rather than any sort of grammatical rule.

4 Likes

I hadn’t thought about that before, but that is really useful! Thank you for the tip! 🙇‍♂️

2 Likes
Translation

法律により、年齢確認実施中です。未成年者には酒類を販売しません。

法律ほうりつ = Law; Statute

により = According to; by (means of); due to; because of

年齢確認ねんれいかくにん = Age verification

実施中じっしちゅう = Being carried out; Being put into practice; In operation

です = be; Is

未成年者みせいねんしゃ = Minor; Person under age; Minor (law)

には = As for; regarding

酒類しゅるい = Alcoholic drinks; Liquor

を = Indicates direct object of action

販売はんばい = Sales; Selling; Marketting

しません = Negative of する (to do; to carry out; to perform)

Rough : Because of the Law age verification is being carried out. As for Persons under age, Alcoholic drinks will not be sold.

Natural : Due to the law, age verification is carried out. Minors won’t be sold alcohol.

A lot of vocabulary I hadn’t come across before ^^

5 Likes
Summary

“Due to the law, age verification is being carried out. Alcohol will not be sold to minors.”

6 Likes
summary

By law age verification will be conducted. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold to minors.

5 Likes

According to the law, we verify the age of customers. We do not sell alcoholic drinks to minors.

5 Likes