GrammarInTheWild - October 2021

Summary

Even if you put something cold inside, condensation won’t form, so it stops your hands from slipping from droplets of water.

5 Likes
Translation

Even inserting cold things will not cause condensation which will prevent (the cup) from sliding out of your hands because of water droplets.

5 Likes
Summary

“Even if you put something cold inside, since no condensation will form it will protect your hand from slipping on a drop of water”

4 Likes
T

Since even adding cold items (ice) won’t condense, it will prevent the possibility of slipping via water drops!

U

笑っても、私はふりしているだけだ。なんちゃって!

3 Likes

No condensation

Even if you put something cold in the cup, it doesn’t sweat, so it protects you against slipping out of your hands due to the droplets.

3 Likes
Translation

Because no condensation forms even when cold things are put inside, it will not slip from your hand because of water drops!

Use case

秋でも暑い。

Use case's translation

@s1212z お前は賢いからと言って、いつも正しくなるわけではない。通を気取るな。
Just because you are clever, this doesn’t mean you are always right. Don’t pretend to know everything.
笑っても、私はふりしているだけだ。なんちゃって!
Even though I am laughing, I am just pretending. Just kidding!

3 Likes

October 30th Translation

Notes :
手を滑らせる(てをすべらせる)is a verb phrase (noun+verb, etc) that is easy to get mixed up with the potential form of 滑らす(ずらす), a different verb that uses the same kanji. This is a common verb phrase that will need to be memorized together.

2 Likes

October 31st

Text :
鍛錬の方法は育手によって多岐にわたるが、大別すると、生身で鬼に立ち向かうための強靭な肉体作りと鬼を斬るための刀の扱いとに分類される。左図は、とある育手が課す鍛錬の一例であり、このほかにも一対一での模擬戦なども行われる。

Notes :
Quite a challenging one today from a character/lore book about Kimetsu no Yaiba.

3 Likes
Translation

According to 育手 the training method is comprehensive, but general classification, strengthening your body for the purpose of fighting demons with your bare hands, and the treatment of swords meant to slay demons all can be classified. The left diagram shows an example of an assessment of the training by 育手. Other than that it is a one to one that can be used for things like mock battles.

5 Likes
Translation

I am not sure about what 育手 is. I make the hypothesis it is some kind of weird writing for 育て (bringing up, raising), which seems to make sense here (maybe with the added meaning that is specifically a “physical” raising, due to the ‘hand’ kanji).

I translate 鍛錬 by ‘toughening’ rather than the more general ‘training’, in order to keep a meaning link with forging (which seems to suit well to 鬼滅の刃).

“Toughening, according to the raising, covers a lot of topics but, if we make a general classification, it is cateogorized in building a strong physique to fight the demons with your own body and handling the sword in order to slice the demons off. The map on the left shows an example of toughening imposing a certain raising. Besides, sham one-to-one fights are also practiced, among other things.”

4 Likes
育手

I had a feeling that a few people (including me!) might not be 100% about this one. It is not an official word, but if you just think of 手 as a suffix in this case, it works. As a suffix it could mean ‘type’, ‘style’, but in this manga itself, I am pretty sure that the author is taking a bit of creative license and using it to refer to the teacher as well. So 育手 could be anything from ‘style of cultivation’, to ‘mentor’.

I like your hypothesis as well, and regualry liken 手 to て depending on the context. They do share a historical relationship afterall.

3 Likes
Summary

As for the tempering method, in regards to hand development, there is a wide range but generally classified as physical demanding method for fighting demons with a strong physique. For the diagram on the left, there is an example of a certain hand development sword technique, moreover it is practiced while paired with a single stroke in mock battles.

4 Likes
育手

Thanks @Asher for these insightful comments. After reading them, I have GOOed 手, which proved very interesting too (but also very straining, due to my current reading skill in Japanese, lol).

What do you mean by “They do share a historical relationship afterall”?

3 Likes

I read kimetsu last year so maybe I read this already, but I don’t remember this passage.

T

Training methods vary depending on the trainer, but in general, training is comprised of: 1) creating a strong body in order to face off against demons, and 2) sword handling for the sake of slaying demons . The image on the left is an example of training assigned by a trainer. In addition to this, one on one mock battles are also conducted.

3 Likes
Summary

“As for the ways of training, there is a range of diverging paths to take that depend on the ‘teacher’, but general classification can be: to fight demon flesh by building a strong body, and to kill demons by handling a sword”

All the particles everywhere was so confusing.
Little short on time so only did the first part.

3 Likes

Toughening up
Numerous trainings for bringing up
As for ways of toughening up, there is a wide range depending on one’s bringing up, but generally speaking it can be classified as developing one’s strong muscles in order to fighting in the flesh against demons and mastering the sword in order to slice demons. On the pictures on the left, there is a certain example of a toughening up training, and also there are many others of them that can happen during a one-to-one sham battle.

Edit: whoops, looks like I screwed the last part up. There should be “there are also one-to-one sham battles conducted [on the trainings]” or something.

2 Likes

October 31st Translation

Notes :
As we could see with this GITW, sometimes words are made up in Japanese in exactly the same way that they are in English. This is much harder to spot as kanji rather than katakana, but will usually be explained through the context of where it appears. Noticing things like this can require a very high vocabulary level, as you would need to know what is and is not a real word in the first place.

Don’t worry if things like this trip you up from time to time, it would be no different than someone that was learning English looking up the words ‘Animorph’ or ‘Horcrux’ or something similar, only to find out that they are not real words outside of the context of the stories they appear in.

Note :
生身 may also be a reference to the buddhist term for ‘the flesh’, or ‘the mortal body’, depending on how the author wanted it to sound.

3 Likes

GrammarInTheWild for November has started guys! You can find the new post here!

3 Likes

I assume the translations is from BP staff, I’d be curious on the Eng version on what choices they made for this passage (if anyone has it).

1 Like

I’d be interested in seeing it too! Not sure if these books got translated into English (as they are outside of the standard series), but they probably did.

1 Like