GrammarInTheWild - November 2021

November 9th
で

Text: 世界ハンバーガーコンテストで2年連続チャンピオンになったシェフ

7 Likes
たくなる

It’s correct, no problem at all grammatically. たい is technically a 助動詞 (auxiliary verb), but it has all the same conjugation rules as an い-adjective. Basically meaning anything you can do to an い-adjective, you can also do to たい.

3 Likes

Sorry, I should have spent more than zero seconds looking it up but makes sense given the conversion :blush: The nuance seems subtle though…I feel it implies that intransitive outside force to desire, so if anything it sounds a bit stronger, or at least how I’m hearing it…but I’m not sure, sometimes it sounds the same too regular たい

I see alot of たくなるような。。。。which is hilarious because you are making a verb turn into an adjective back into a verb and then back into an adjective again, ha! Or better yet, it’s verb i-adjective verb noun phrase na adjective…no wonder it’s easier to say i-adjectives are verbs and na adjectives are nouns.

4 Likes
Summary

The chef who makes this yummy hamburger won the world hamburger championship two years on the trot!
Also thanks for making me hungry :weary:

6 Likes
Translation

A chef who has won the world hamburger contest two years in a row.

6 Likes
Summary

Chef Adam Lawson-shi, champion of the World Hamburger Contest two years running, invented the recipe for the Dragon Burger! Please enjoy the taste of this creative recipe which was inspired by Kyoto!

6 Likes
T

World hamburger contest 2 time consecutive year champion chef.

U

あそこでハンバーガチャンピオンシェフがいるんだって。

5 Likes
Summary

“The chef became the champion for 2 consecutive years in the World Hamburger Contest”

4 Likes
...

World Hamburger Contest winner (two years in a row!), chef Mr. Adam Lawson invented the exclusive Dragonburger recipe!
Please enjoy the Kyoto inspired original recipe’s taste!

Aren’t dragons endangered species? I hope they use soy dragon meat in it.

@s1212z

Some redundancy in any language is a commonplace. It doesn’t work like every word should convey a distinct meaning, I think it’s better to consider things like this like a “meaning blob”, a set expression.
My favorite one is an expressive French “What’s it?”: “Qu’est-ce que c’est que ça?”, it contains three “what”, two “is” and three “it” (And not expressive one contains just two words less.) :grin:

4 Likes
HotAirGun

I kinda admire the robustness of the grammar phrase here on how malleable a user can stretch a phrase on various grammar rules; strangely it all makes sense on a grammar level to be logical to trace the meaning pretty reasonably. I think it’s a good lesson why relaying an English translation is actually hindering the understanding rather than helping for grammar. There are other instances, like idioms or double negatives which I find more ‘bloby’ where the culture is influencing the language more. I find these just have to memorized or in the case of double negatives, acknowledging the indirect passive aggressive nature or exasperating a phrase to soften in politeness scale is just cultural.

That sounds fun to say! I want to use it some how though I have no French skills :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

世界ハンバーガーコンテストで2年連続チャンピオンになったシェフ
アダム・ローソン氏がドラゴンバーガーの為だけにレシピを考案!
京都をイメージした、独創的なレシピの味をご賞味ください!

Full translation

Chef Adam Rawson, who became champion of the world hamburger competition two years in a row , invented this recipe just for Dragon Burger!
Please appreciate the taste of this creative recipe, inspired by Kyoto!

Use case

ドラゴンバーガーで美味しくて独創的なハンバーガーを食べられそうです。

Use cases' translation

@s1212z 会議に遅くなった。ですが、僕の同僚がアップデートを教えたから迷っていません。
I was late for the meeting. However, because my colleagues updated me, I wasn’t lost.
あそこでハンバーガチャンピオンシェフがいるんだって。
It is said that over there is chef that is a hamburger champion.

3 Likes

November 9th Translation

Notes:
While this で is taught as a different grammar point to the で used for ‘by’ (in relation to a tool used for something), it may still be thought of as quite similar, with the nuance being that the place/situation was what allowed a certain result.

7 Likes

November 10th
もって

Text: 講談師が出航から着船までの間、起承転結をもって語っていきます。

Note : As a fun challenge, see if you can find the kokuji (kanji unique to Japan) in this sign!

7 Likes
Summary

“During the time from departure to arrival, the storyteller will speak in view of the stories development”

There’s a lot of kanji I don’t recognise so the kokuji isn’t any different to me!

6 Likes
Translation

Since the story teller has departed we will be discussing (a kind of) Chinese poetry until he comes back.

5 Likes
T

The duration from intro to ending, the storyteller held the story form by means of their narration.

噺

U

アカウントの認証メールをもって管理人にご連絡してください。

UT

Dragon Burger sounds like a delicious original burger to eat.

4 Likes

保津川下り特別便
「明智水軍、京へ!」
丹波所縁の武将「明智光秀」について、講談師が出航から着船までの間、起承転結をもって語っていきます。
史実を元に、新たな「噺」を創作し、川下り悪所の案内も織り交ぜながら、2時間の
飽きさせない船旅を楽しみください。

Translation

Special opportunity while going down river Hozu
“Akechi’s navy, toward the capital!”
Between the departure of the boat and its arrival, a professional storyteller will tell by means of story and composition about the military commander Akechi Mitsuhide, in connection with the Tanba province.
While he will create a new “tale” based on historical facts and interweave information about the dangerous places donwstream, please enjoy the cruise without losing interest.

My guess about the kokuji

image

My true guess

噺

Use case

翻訳するための捜査を以てその所の歴史について情報を見つけました。

Use case's translation

@s1212z アカウントの認証メールをもって管理人にご連絡してください。
Please contact the administrators by means of the account confirmation mail.

5 Likes

Is it not 船旅 instead?

4 Likes

November 10th Translation

Notes:
噺(はなし) is a kokuji that has the same meaning as 話, but is used more frequently to describe professionally told stories, or traditional Japanese storytelling forms, like rakugo.

7 Likes

November 11th
的

Text: 京都の文化財や歴史的景観を守り伝える京都府・市基金へ皆様からのあたたかいご支援を

8 Likes