GrammarInTheWild - October 2021

Summary

Parking (here) will hinder garbage collection. Please don’t.

Lol my english is the problem

7 Likes
Translation

Since trash collection will be hindered, please refrain from parking.

More naturally - Please refrain from parking here, as it will impede trash collection.

Here’s some additional explanation for となる I gathered a while back:

7 Likes
Summary

ごみの収集に支障となりますので駐車はご遠慮ください。
Because it will become an obstacle for [interfere with] garbage collection, please refrain from parking [here].

8 Likes
Summary

Literal translation: there is interference with rubbish collection, so please refrain from parking here.
How I would translate the sign (in my super polite tone): This is a household waste collection area. In order to avoid any issues with regard to waste collection, we kindly request that you refrain from parking here.
More natural if this was the UK:
WASTE COLLECTION AREA
NO PARKING
Rude version: If you’re sat in your car and you can read this, move.

9 Likes

Please do not park your cars here because it makes difficult to collect the garbage.

6 Likes
T

Please restrain from parking (here) due to hinderance of garbage collection
Lit: It has been established parking (here) is a hinderance of garbage collection, please restrain (from doing so)

U

最近コロナウイルスワクチンの委任統治は米国の政府が強制となっている。

5 Likes
Summary

“Please refrain from parking here, as it will interfere with rubbish collection”

5 Likes

October 2nd Translation

Notes :
The nuance here is very similar to ‘happen to be’ in English, in that it is making the sentence a little bit more polite by making it sound like the action does not have a direct person to blame. This is a very common theme with となる and it’s many different uses.

5 Likes

October 3rd
てほしい

Text :
見逃してほしけりゃあそこでキューロクエアーマックス買ってこいや

Help with slang for those that want it

けりゃ = ければ
こい = くる (imperative)
や = ! (kansai-ben. Sometimes used as だ, sometimes just for exclamation)

8 Likes
Summary

見逃してほしけりゃあそこでキューロクエアーマックス買ってこいや

:arrow_right: If I want you to miss it, then go buy the Air Max over there!

I don’t get this one. I’ll be curious to see the translation for this because google says that this should be “If you want to miss it…”.
キューロクエアーマックス = Nike Air Max '95, according to google search, which sounds right for the era of the manga.

Edit: to be clear, I’m sure my translation is wrong, but I can’t make sense of how to make it right. :man_shrugging:

8 Likes
Summary

I have literally never seen this before, but then again I don’t read manga so that might be the reason. I doubt people say it much in real life.

I disagree. When I first saw this, my instinct was something like “If you want me to turn a blind eye” - I think that fits with the context.

Thank you. You’ve saved me time. I assume these are trainers (sneakers for my American cousins) so in my translation I’ll just go with ‘trainers’.

Summary within a summary! Summaryception!

Nice version: If you would like me to turn a blind eye [to what just happened], then go and buy those trainers over there for me.
This sentence uses the imperative form, so the more accurate translation would probably look more like this: Mate, if you want me to pretend like I haven’t seen [what just happened], you best go and get me them trainers over the road…

Wow, my inner Lancashire is really coming out in this thread…

10 Likes
Woohoo, a manga that I own ^^

Translation : If you want us to overlook it, go buy some '95 air max over there.

A bit of context : This is at the start of the manga, right after he gets rejected for a job application and he’s caught looking up girls skirts at an escalator by two thugs. They threaten him for some air max.

Those air max were highly wanted by the way, article about sneakers in question :
エアマックス狩り - Wikipedia

Edit :

Also a quick thank you to this thread for giving me a reason to come back every day and not missing any reviews, finally have a 30-day streak :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes
2nd Attempt

Ah. I think it just clicked for me.
ほしい could mean “I want” or “you want”, but in subjectless Japanese, in a statement it usually means “I want” and in a question it means “you want”.
So then the same thing applies for 〜てほしい (but I’d only heard it used as “I want you to ~”). In a statement it’s “I want you to ~” and in a question it’s “do you want me to ~?”.
So, using ければ, it’s like asking for confirmation “is this the situation?”, so the subject is “you” not “I”.

So the translation is then:
:arrow_right: If you want me to overlook it, then go buy the Air Max over there!

@matt_in_mito @mathijsdm Thanks for making me think about this again and for the context! :bowing_man: :blush:

9 Likes

Thanks for slang explanation Asher and Matt! This one was slightly easier than the other days’, although I did have to look up 見逃す

t

If you want me to overlook (whatever event just happened, go buy those air max’s over there.
(for me? - I assume this is left out because it’s a casual conversation)

9 Likes
Translation

If I wanted you to overlook, go and buy the kyuroku air max.

All this makes no sense…
Edit after reading you guys’ translations and comments: like FredKore I missed that the guy who want the other guy do something is not “I” but “You”. Now that makes sense… Thanks! So: “If you want me to overlook, go and buy the 95’s air max.”

Use case

ちゃんと説明してほしい。

9 Likes
T

If I want to overlook over there then buy me curok air max (?).

I have no idea what キューロクエアーマックス is… エアーマックス comes up as a Nike shoe or something.

U

昨日一緒に話したのについて考えてほしいです。

6 Likes
Summary

I want you to explain it clearly/properly

5 Likes

If I want you to overlook [things], I’d send you to buy Kyuroku Air Max over there.

Edit: oh, so it’s “if you want me to overlook”. But how can someone guess it without a context? It is a common way to say “you want me”, or it depends on the context every time? :thinking:

5 Likes
Summary

“If you want to overlook it, go and buy those airmax’s…”

Full disclosure: I had to sneak a look at another translation to get the ‘95 Air max’, I was completely stumped. Also theres a lot of context/nuance I’m missing haha

6 Likes

October 3rd Translation

Notes :
Because of the ‘often’ indirect nature of Japanese, some grammar structures like てほしい will often be used in speech enquiring about what other people want you to do, rather than what you personally want them to do. Although both uses are common, ~てほしい is more likely to be heard in questions.

Side Note :
The キューロク here could have had a few different translations, depending on how you interpret it (we couldn’t find an equivalent English name). A mixture of 九 and 六 makes the most sense.

8 Likes