GrammarInTheWild - October 2021

Summary

As well as ‘that’ [something that was probably said in the previous speech bubble], you should make sure you tell your friends how you’re honestly feeling.
改めて is something along the lines of ‘make sure of’ I suppose.

6 Likes

For that reason, express true feelings to your friend again…
or
For that reason, tell it honestly to your friend again…

I can’t figure out what’s the real meaning of 正直な気持ちを here.
I wonder if I guess right that 伝え is an imperative form of 伝える, though.

Edit: a missing verb

If there is a missing verb, as Asher says, then I can throw another guess:

For that reason, go to your friend again and tell him how you feel…

5 Likes
Summary

Without real context, but I feel like it’s probably a case of not having had the courage to confess yet, so I feel like the translation should be something like :

And then I’ll (properly) tell my friend how I really feel…

5 Likes
Translation

After this I will change and tell my friends my true feelings.

Edit: well it seems I am the only one that understood 改めて as the suspensive form of 改める and made two connected clauses… Furthermore I also understood 伝え as a suspensive form (it seems that the stem of a verb is often used as such in newspaper and soon…) because of the suspension points. Can’t wait until tomorrow for the proper meaning.

Use case

そのテキストの翻訳した上でいい翻訳かどうかわからない。

5 Likes
T

Upon conveying my candid feelings to my friend once again…

U

友達と相談した上で、間違えたかもしれないと気がついた。

Summary

After translating the text, I’m not sure if it’s a good translation.

5 Likes
Summary

After this (or maybe “from now on”?) I’ll make sure to tell my friends my honest feelings

4 Likes
t

After this, make sure to convey your true feelings to your friend.

Translation is a mess, and it’s very much a case of “know ~70% and then ignore the other parts I can’t translate” lmao. After looking through the answers I assumed 改めて was just the generic te form, but evidently it’s a whole different word! Tomorrow’s a new day :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

October 5th Translation

Notes :
改めて can have a few different meanings, but most of the time it refers to reattempting/redoing/remaking something that already existed in some way. にって could also have a few different interpretations. The one we chose to go for was verb omission. The verb in question being なる

9 Likes

October 6th
のは

Text :
彼女が監禁されているのは垂金の別荘の一室だ

Note :
Last manga post for a few days, going sign hunting again today!

8 Likes
Summary

She is being confined in 1 of the rooms of Tarukane’s villa.

7 Likes
Translation

I didn’t realize 垂金 was a name until I took a sneaky peak at @Flavyouu 's translation, then my confusion with the sentence finally cleared up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

She’s being held in a room in Tarukane’s villa.

I was a bit in doubt about 別荘 because it can mean both vacation house; villa and a colloquialism for prison/jail. But I feel the word choice of 監禁されている makes it more likely to be a “held against will” than “imprisoned” situation, not entirely sure though :man_shrugging:

7 Likes
Translation

She’s being held captive in a room in Tarukane’s prison.

Translation note - in the anime they refer to it as his “stronghold,” so I went with prison instead of villa/vacation home.

6 Likes
Summary

“She’s being confined in a solitary room in jail”

Turns out 垂金 is a name, couldn’t work it out a all. So updated version would be:
“She being confined in a room in Tarakune’s villa (or jail?)”

5 Likes
Summary

Man, I have absolutely no idea…

The place where she his being held captive is Tarukane’s holiday home.

Is Tarukane the name of a character?
Yeah you’ve got me on this one.

EDIT - just read everyone else’s translations and realised I’m closer than I thought I was.

6 Likes

She is confined in one of the rooms of the Tarukane’s holiday house.

5 Likes
T

As for her imprisonment, it’s Tarukane Gonzo’s one room jail cell.

U

この文を読んでいる人のは本当に凄いです。

5 Likes
T

The place where she is being confined is a room in the Prison of Dripping Gold

Summary

The use of が here suggests to me that this in response to a question like “where is she being confined?” because it’s a bit strange seeing が followed by a passive verb.

のは - is an example of how to turn a verb into a noun phrase (nominalization). Same as V+こと. (e.g. たべること)The は, as the topic particle, indicates that what precedes it is the topic and what follows is commentary on that topic.

I chose to translate each kanji of what is presumably the name of the prison for a bit of poetic flair 垂- drooping; hanging; dripping 金 -gold

5 Likes

October 6th Translation

Notes :
The translation we went with here keeps the ‘villa’, but as a few people mentioned, it is more of a stronghold in this case. These kind of colloquial translations will usually be up to the translator as to whether they are kept colloquial, or changed to something more direct. One of the hardest things in Japanese, even at an advanced level, is recognizing names. In manga, many characters will have names that have hidden meanings, or are word jokes. 垂金 is likely to be a word joke about ‘oozing with money’. Can you guys think of any other word joke names?

7 Likes

October 7th

Text :
お子様、妊娠中または授乳中の方、カフェインに敏感な方にはお進めしません。

Note :
This one was actually a bit tricky to get a clear photo of because of the curved can, but there was some great grammar here! Feel free to try translate some of the other parts as well!

8 Likes
Summary

Children, pregnant or breastfeeding women and those who are sensitive to caffeine, do not drink me plz.
@Asher did you just think ‘oh crap I need a GITW today’ and just grab the nearest thing to you? :joy:

6 Likes