Have you done your BunPro Review today?

Well just like with Wanikani aimed at English speakers, same here. However, just like you I do a lot also in my native language (like the example sentences) which are in return easier to remember for me sometimes.

Can you give an example on what you mean with you sometimes do it wholly in Japanese?

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

And props on playing a fully Japanese game through :slight_smile:

I hope you are better now as well again. I was kinda in the same boat. My little 10 month old got a little sick. Got better and then I got it… Well but I guess it’s also this dark, cold and rainy weather outside. None the less tried to do at least the Bunpro reviews the last days.

Done my Review for today. And added two new Grammar Points as well. へ, 来る.
Today’s reviews already went better than the last couple of days. Tho I still have trouble remembering the correct て-Form, hence only two new grammar points for today, to keep focusing on reducing my Ghost reviews.

None the less I’m happy I am able to do this now also on a daily basis.
Better than WK right now. That one set me motivation wise a little backwards, due to the big changes that they have done and me having to redo a lot of my learned vocab. But oh well. Will all be good and forgotten in a couple weeks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This one. I forgot to add だ before と思う though. Bonus: It’s already corrected by a native. ^^ I had other examples when I took a shower this afternoon, but these examples haven’t been corrected by a native in case they’re wrong.

My process usually flows this way:

(1) Know the object in Japanese (this vocabulary finding process is inspired by Lucy, but she talked about learning Spanish and English, anyway. I found that her method can be applied to other languages as well),

(2.a) then if I’m not fluent in which vocab to use (for the suited context), I search it online, jisho, WK, asking senpai in any helpful internet forums or quora or Japanese exchange or HiNative, anything, asking Japanese native speaker(s), until I’m fluent.

(2.b) then if I’m fluent in which vocab to use (for the suited context), I try to construct a sentence based on which grammar point I have learned on BunPro (I’ve been using BunPro as my main reference to learn Japanese Grammar). Just like when I constructed a sentence that’s in my previous paragraph above in front of Mami Sensei, it’d be impossible for me to construct that sentence, if I didn’t learn about that on BunPro, and then watched Misa Sensei, and then read the reference from my favourite book, A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.

Hidden because miaou hazukashii

My other problems are constructing a Japanese sentence usually takes longer than constructing an English sentence. It may need 15 minutes to 3 hours just to construct English sentences, it may even need 3 days to construct Japanese sentences in front of Mami Sensei, if she replied back to me.

Hidden because this subforum is set public

If you didn’t post “album that has photos in it” instead of “album with photos (without in it)”, I probably didn’t think about my sentence in my native language. ^^ Bonus: Some European friends of mine said my native language sounds similar to Japanese. I disagreed when they said that, but compared to, say, Norwegian, as this one of Norwegian ladies in Wanikani said, I consider myself to be lucky. Indeed, I have many similar sound though the translation’s very different, at least, compared to Norwegian. She once said more or less that her language doesn’t have many similar sounds to Japanese. Sorry, I couldn’t find her post when she said that, that’s why I just put her WK profile instead. Oh, actually she’s also here in BunPro ^^ No, I didn’t stalk her, I just happened to read her post in BunPro threads here the other day. cc @MissDagger

Hidden because of the same reason

Last, I often found Omun’s post said what I had in mind (in both WK & BP forums), like saying thanks, or asking/talking about the condition of people around us, I’m not good at it, not as good as they are. Just know that I mean I say thank you too. And I hope your little one is getting well soon. I usually just hit like button instead of talking. Of course I also hope whatever happens to Omun will get better too but I guess they already knew the unspoken of me. Like from telepathy or robot signal. What am I mumbling about.

1 Like

I indeed feel better still today, though I did myself no favours. Cycled through the rain to the stores because we were out of one particular item. Managed to buy a bunch of stuff but I hadn’t put the crucial item on the shopping list! So I got to cycle through the rain yet again right after.

Hope you and your little one will be right as rain cheery sunshine soon!

@nanda
I should do more practice like you are, with really constructing and using it myself outside of study, rather than just listening and reading. Actively using and passively taking it in will always have different results.

I think I plucked up the courage together to say something in the Japanese Only section about two times? Took me forever both times.

My robot telepathy is tingling!

You always manage to make your presence and appreciation known with your generous likes, and I’ll appreciate them even more now that I know it can hide many words from you. ^-^

Always happy to see you around the forums, both here and at WK!

/////-/////

Ever have those days that are just off, learning-wise? :thinking:

My WK reviews have been an annoying drag this whole weekend, and I’ve been forcing myself to do them just because I know I’ll hate myself tomorrow if I don’t.

This has also manifested to only doing reviews on BunPro, and no new lessons. And not thinking well enough on some reviews, like choosing just だけ in use with a な-adjective.

Ah well, I’ve been at this long enough to know this just happens sometimes. Ups and downs will always happen.

3 Likes

Missed Sunday but otherwise hit the whole weekend. Coming back to it today, I can already notice a backslide.

No new grammar yet. Goal this week is to be as consistent with bunpro as anki.

6 Likes
  1. I did my review today and I hit 0 review again both here and WK.
  2. No new lesson.
  3. I put many learning notes on my leeches.

Woah! And also a new 10 Days Streak Badge!

4 Likes

@nanda, @skullclutter, @lopicake, @Andulien and @Omun Hey, everyone! I have set the Bunfire topic to private; this topic is no longer crawlable by search engines. I apologize for the delay! Cheers!

5 Likes

Feeling really good today with my reviews. Got only one wrong of 28 points :slight_smile: んです still does not want to stick for some reason. But at least now I have good hope to finally reduce my Ghost reviews again :slight_smile:

Learned three new grammar points today. でした, もう, だけ.

I moved up to level 10 today as well.

Well thanks then for the very extended answer and giving here so much insight :slight_smile: I sure agree with as European the pronunciation of Japanese isn’t to difficult as there are many similar sounds but it does not make the language easier as a whole.

I definitely need to get back to creating my own sentences again, even tho this also takes me ages like you. Tho I personally find English nowadays very easy, I also had my struggles there.

:sun_with_face: Good to hear. All good on our end too AND despite the pooring rain yesterday, the sun is shining bright outside today :sunrise:

4 Likes

I am indeed here, but I am not surprised you didn’t find the post about me talking about Norwegian considering I’m Swedish and I’d argue Swedish have a lot of sounds that are very close to the Japanese one (except j and z sounds which Swedish does not have anything close to). So it was someone else. ^^

I’ve been following this thread for the last couple of days and I’m so impressed you all seem to be able to fit in grammar lessons into your days. Still struggling with that. Although this weekend was overall low motivation on Japanese so even WK was a struggle to commit to.

4 Likes

Is Kumi Norwegian? Hark! My memory is twisted then. Then I must’ve meant Swedish than Norwegian maybe.

Edit: I just found this. Me replying to Kumi. Must be Swedish I was talking about. Kumi’s Swedish just like you. I just don’t know anything about Swedish nor Norwegian except tomat. Cos what I remember was your avatar, instead of “Norwegian” word.

It’s one of my 2019 resolutions ^^ So, yeah, here I am. At least I try to hit 0 review every day though I don’t always add new lessons every day.

2 Likes

For nine months, I was so used to WK being the one thing that I absolutely had to do in a day, learning-wise, that I just forgot to do BunPro on some days. For about two weeks. :sweat_smile: Hurray for the free month trial that I’m using to test the waters and get into the swing of things.

But I’m also finding it very refreshing! It’s nice to have more structure in my grammar work, which I’ve been lacking. I’ve already noticed a difference in my understanding/retention of certain grammar points now that I have something actively testing me on recognising, remembering, and correctly utilising them.

I zero’d my reviews and added three new lessons today. My accuracy is still stuck somewhere in the 80-something % so I’m mildly haunted. I need to do more reading up/cramming.

5 Likes

Yes, Kumi is Swedish too. I like tomat. ^_~

I always go for zero reviews, that part is fairly easy. Doing a new lesson requires more thinking.

@Omun I’m still on the trial too. But finding it hard to regularly get lessons done. I guess because I do WK and KW (so easy to do new lessons here) first. Or maybe because I decided I want to practice hand writing with my grammar because I needed to get it in somewhere and practicing my writing out the example sentences I think is a good idea.

4 Likes

Got my reviews done today and added three new grammar points from Genki.

2 Likes

Good afternoon!

• I did my review today and I hit 0 review again both here and WK.
  • I did about 20 or 30 reviews on anki for my leeches.
  • I added three new lessons about など、やすい、ほしい.
  • Copy pasted from my BunPro note: など A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar p.267.
  • And ほしい A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar p.144.
  • I forgot は particle before なる.

• I found something funny at the end of English hint.

• In summary

• I noticed I probably killed ghosts again :man_shrugging: There used to be 14 ghosts as far as I remember.
  • I probably won’t add lessons again tomorrow. I want to focus learning new lessons on WK. I had stopped learning lessons for 11 days already and yesterday I only learned three new lessons.
2 Likes

Did my reviews. Learned 6 more grammar points. Doing a little bit more this week and next because I intend on taking a 2 week break from new lessons while on winter vacation!

I hate to admit it, but I’m always happy when I click the resource list and it’s just JapaneseTest4You/JGram. :sweat_smile: It makes for very simple notes…even though it’s really the bare minimum haha. I’ll go back over them though and add to it when I find other resources. I wonder if BP should start a thread where we give out resource recommendations for different grammar points. I’m sure a lot of the N2 stuff can be more fleshed out.

Also, I’m deciding on whether I should vacation mode or not while I’m on vacation. I’ll be travelling to a few different countries so the only internet I’ll have is the Wi-Fi in my hostel, but it’s always good to be consistent…I’d also lose my streak…

2 Likes

I wish my summary page was as nice. :disappointed_relieved:

It’s funny, on WK I hated getting anything wrong. I abused Ignore Answer waaaay too much.

But on BP I just accept it as just my natural ineptitude at grammar, haha. I welcome those Ghost Reviews with open arms! :ghost:

3 Likes

Yeah I do my BunPro every day, some of them at least. At the moment WaniKani is on vacation mode while I get on top of things here, I did a lot of lessons in one go and keep forgetting stuff.

1 Like

How come you’re only on level 33 if you’re half way throught N2? I don’t get that. I assume level 100 is when you finish N1. So you are way past half way, surely?

I’m gonna guess it’s because the N2 grammar points, other than Lesson 1, have only 3 review sentences. So that’s a ton of XP that is currently locked.

Also the number of grammar points is heavily weighted on the N2 and N1 side. N5 barely has any in comparison.

Oh, maybe they are adding more sentences to N2. Yeah I know N5 has a lot less. But I’m still on N4 and am on level 22, so I was suprised to see you right up there half way through N2 but only on level 33. I’ll just plod on anyway.

It could just also be that I started using BunPro consistently only since July of this year. So almost none of my grammar points are “mastered” or “burned” or whatever BP calls it. The final review is probably worth a lot more than the first few so that might factor into it.

Not sure when you started but it’s the same case as WK where people can be way higher levels while having a lot less “burned” items than people who are lower than them just because they leveled faster.