Have you done your BunPro Review today?

Did all my reviews, and this time 100% correct :smiley:
Did three new Lessons, with to go to and negatives .
I leveled up from 11 to 12 as well
All in all a pretty good day on Bunpro :slight_smile:
Not gonna talk about WK since I’m still trying to get my reviews back to 0…

5 Likes

Did my reviews while also out shopping in Osaka yesterday despite feeling the slightest bit of burnout. Decided to get at the root cause and properly learn the differences between my leeches. (Or at least the BP hints for each one.)

Can’t afford to
てはいられないー ない forms of verbs change it do はいられない (Which BP did not address in the grammar point structure but has sentences for. :neutral_face:)
わけにはいかない ー No verb will be given to conjugate (ないわけにはいかない will though!)

Unless…
ないことには~ないー The second ない will be highlighted
てからでないとー May have a ない ending sentence but the ない will not be highlighted.

B is because of A…
上はー Is formal
からには ー If it doesn’t say formal it’s this one.

These seriously were the nightmares of my review. The hints are written almost exactly the same. And I started to confuse them for completely different grammar points. Hopefully that’ll work. I reset all of them to get a fresh start.

Though the list can go on and on…have you guys ever searched the grammar points that mean “In addition to…”? Because there’s only 1 of those that’s not in my reviews :scream:

I hope they purposefully wait to a bit more before they add N1 because I already heard that it’s mostly formal/literature equivalents of N2 grammar and I’m scared of all those synonyms…

4 Likes
  • しやすい instead of し易かった for was easy. I often have problems with being asked past, I answer it with present. :cry:
  • I have many more reds than what I show it here.
  • I think I’m still confused about なくてはならない. I must be able to create my own sentences in order to get used to it.
  • My ghosts went up from 5 to 6/7.
  • I got Fuji-san badge after 10k XP.
  • It’s good to see that Study Streak 15. ^^
  • Did I say I added lessons? I’m not sure, but I’ve learned about なさい maybe not three lessons yet :man_shrugging: I spent much longer time than I should have on Tae Kim’s site because of my limited English comprehension :sob:
  • Did I say I hit 0 reviews on WK and BunPro? Oh sure!

4 Likes

I think it’s funny how you all are struggling with てはいけない・なくてはいけない and てはならない・なくてはならない because those two were literally my original leeches/burnout grammar points!

In fact, I got so sick of them they are what made me initially create my Japanese Study diary!

jd

It wasn’t this format when I started but I remember that the first thing I wrote was “NEED TO REVIEW てはいけない・なくてはいけない and てはならない・なくてはならない” Hahaha!

みんな頑張って!

5 Likes

Did my BunPro reviews consistently throughout the day.
My WK reviews, and 15-20 vocab lessons throughout the day, although still have about 30 left >_<
Did a tiny bit of intro TaeKim exercises, and my WK bookclub reading.
Decided to try handwriting kanji again, writing out my “daily sentence” from here a bunch of times and trying the WK lvl3 kanji, then writing out the first 3 lvls kanji a bunch. I actually seem to really like handwriting the kanji which seem more complicated to me. And learning the stroke order from jisho, I’m actually learning something about the kanji I lack when just reading it. I don’t try and write nicely, just fast.

3 Likes

Still in an annoying slump. grumble

I’ve managed to keep up with doing BP reviews at least once day, though I didn’t add any new lessons for a few days. Hit my 14 day streak today.

My WK stride being completely off, in combination with getting sick in the week has meant little progress and loads of frustration.

Time to white-knuckle, and keep at it until things get better again. When times are hardest is when I have to keep going the most, lest I be tempted to take a break and fall out of the study habit. That happened twice in these past nine months (once for four whole weeks!!), so I’d like to avoid that.

3 Likes

If I get the verb wrong it’s usually a ru verb I didn’t know if it was ichidan or godan. I just cheat and re-do the question. I only want to be tested on the grammar point, not knowing words I’m not familiar with. Te form verbs take a bit of time to learn. Easiest way is to just guess, and cheat if you get it wrong. Eventually you’ll pick them up. Be aware that iku is sort of nonstandard.

2 Likes

If things get too much, I turn off ghost reviews, put wanikani on vacation, and just do my bunpro. And don’t do any lessons for a bit. If I have too many reviews I don’t always translate all the sentence. And if I get something wrong that’s not the grammar point, I just redo it (cheat).

2 Likes

Feeling better today. Done reviews and did lesson on そこ. Hope to get back to doing a daily Japanese sentence tomorrow when I’m not hanging with family anymore. Also keeping up with WK and added 10 vocab and 5 kanji lessons and KW reviews and 10 new lessons. For some reason hanging with family got me back in routine for doing regular KW and Bunpro lessons on top of new WK lessons. Haha, life is strange sometimes.

4 Likes

Felt a bit to much on my end today, with a bit of a crazy Sunday privately speaking.
But I stuck through it for now. Did all my Bunpro which went pretty well except for some う Verbs wrong… Well like @veryslowlearner said. Just trying over and over until it sticks :slight_smile:
Did three new Lessons, the biggest one being on ない the other two pretty simple, hence why I didn’t mind adding them.
If I get to I’ll do my sentence of the day later today in the evening or so.

That :arrow_up: Finally got all my WK Reviews to 0 again. So maybe tomorrow I’ll start the catch up with adding new vocab again.

On another note, I still sometimes feel a bit all over the place, not sure why. I would like to take the N5 this coming summer, but feel not near enough of having a clear plan on how to get there :frowning: I know BP-N5 & WK-Lvl10 will be a good starting point but gotta figure out how to cover the rest as well.

But now I’m setup the Christmas tree with my kid for his first Christmas :smiley: Maybe I’ll think some more about things this evening.

I think these kind of threads are good for that type of motivation and remind you of what you’ve achieved so far :wink:

5 Likes

Here’s a good page for そこ. Easier if you learn them all at once and keep this for reference. https://www.learn-japanese-adventure.com/demonstrative-pronouns.html

4 Likes

Did my WK and BP. Added 3 new BP items. より~の方が, which using the examples I think I understand. Every previous time I’ve tried to understand より I could never tell which item was the one which was “better than” the other. But I think I get it from the reviews so we’ll see later on… ~なくちゃいけない which seems odd with the double-negative, but I will try and make it stick, and ~ましょうか which I was already familiar with. I think just writing about the items here gets my thoughts into place about them.

I did my WK bookclub reading and a lot of handwritten kanji again (tackling WK lvl4). I planned to read TaeKim or something but it’s getting late so we’ll see if I do… (turned out I did some KaniWani for the first time in ages. I only do Master level items, and just did the 55 “lessons” for those )

I’d like to do the same. Like you BP-N5 and WK-lvl10 will just happen, but it’s the rest I think I’ll need a new routine in the new year to work towards this. Something with all the katakana words, and other non-WK vocab, not sure how to do this, I know there’s a bunch of other SRS, but having a 3rd on top of BP and WK seems like a lot. And then I’ll have to start some listening practice. I’ve heard there’s quite a lot of test N5 listening videos on youtube.

4 Likes

I missed yesterday but did today. Added the rest of the grammar points from Genki chapter 19. Been making a lot of stupid conjugation mistakes, and mistakes because I didn’t pay attention to the sentence around the grammar point.

Haven’t done Anki yet today, though.

4 Likes

Finished my reviews and all the lessons I plan on doing before vacation. I only have two groups left!

The gramamar points this session weren’t hard at all. Most were connected with other gramamar points I learned or just were fancier versions. つつある seems like a fancy version of ている、やら~やら kind of like や~や、に際して learned that with 際に、より仕方がない pretty easy to understand if you know 仕方がない、etc…

Only true grammar point that felt completely new is はともかく. But I easily made an mnemonic for it “Disregard X , because I will DRAW the HAT AS WELL!” 「ハトも描く」 Very nonsensical and yet very effective.

5 Likes

Good afternoon!

• At last, I hit 0 reviews both on WK and BP today :sob: So Happy!
  • I answered 新幹線で、東京より大阪にも行った。instead of
  • When I did my BP review in the morning, instead of going to Summary, it went blank. My router was reset. I felt like I was gonna crush a stone or two or commit sudoku! Then about two minutes it’s back again. And I could finish squashing all my BP reviews :triumph:
  • I added 3 lessons about なさい、ないで、みたい
  • It felt good to have killed some of my leeches on WK.
  • Been rough day! But I did it!

4 Likes

@lopicake It amused me to see you comment on the WK thread about how much progress people made in a year. Talking about the toll it can take to go through an SRS program like that at full, hardcore speed. Now I see you here with only two N2 sections left. :joy: You clearly don’t lack motivation and skill when it comes to learning. :purple_heart:

And those are the days we should give each other that extra shoulder pat to celebrate! Congrats on squashing both your WK and BP reviews. :confetti_ball:

////-/////

Did my reviews and I’m about to add some lessons.

This afternoon I’m hoping to do some reading, and I’ll definitely watch something in JP. It’s been a while since I watched YT vids of JP-only channels, so maybe I’ll do that. Even with the copious amount of text and subtitles they put on the screen, true, casual Japanese tends to leave me very lost still at its speeds. But sometimes I catch a joke and can chuckle along with them, which feels good. ^-^

5 Likes

Reviews done. At first it looked great, then the score dropped, thanks to incorrect usage of past tense for a quote and having forgotten about のは. Oh well. Guess more Ghosts to squash.

Uhm didn’t you say that already yesterday? :tada: But YAY me too :smiley:

@Omun: What do you watch?

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check it out. I actually knew これ, それ, あれ, ここ, そこ, and あそこ from before Bunpro, so it isn’t a problem for me that lesson-wise they are separated here.

This is exactly how I do KW too, only Master items.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Travelled home after a weekend with family today. I had no time for Japanese before travels and when I came home there was dinner and a good movie on TV. So I’m hitting it late, but finished my reviews on Bunpro. (WK and KW still left. KW will wait until tomorrow. It being midnight and all.)

And I leveled up. Level 8, baby!

5 Likes

Hahaha, yeah I never learn from my mistakes. But going fast is a kind of motivation in itself for me. But I also really have been trying to tell myself to slow down. That’s why I stopped myself from doing lessons about 5 days before vacation so I won’t have a giant review pile. (Though I probably still will.)

I also bought Lifetime for BP which I didn’t do for WK. So there’s no deadline and I plan on resetting grammar points often. :slight_smile:

And also they’ll only be able to release N1 in increments so it’ll force me to slow down and smell the roses whether I like it or not. xD

5 Likes

Did my reviews as usual throughout the day. Today I seemed to just do the BP reviews 1 or 2 at a time whenever they cropped up whenever I had a free minute in the middle of whatever I was doing. Loved how one of my reviews was “you must not take that medicine” which was followed by “i don’t want to take that medicine”. Random, or does BP know! Did the next 3 points in BP’s “study” section as I knew those already. And in WK added the final lvl8 kanji and a bunch of vocab. Had far too much fun again tonight handwriting kanji. Revised the first 4 lvls of WK and added the 5th… soon I’ll be upto where I’m at, and I’ll actually have to try memorising how to write them, rather than getting some visual stimulus first.

7 Likes