Have you written your Japanese Sentence today?

友達の誕生日のためのヒトカゲ編みぐるみはとうとう作り終わりました。

Translation

I finally finished making the Charmander amigurumi for my friend’s birthday

私の日本語のレベルはまだ低いです。 彼女に「世界の女のなかで(彼女の名前)ちゃんは一番怖いです」と言った。 なぜ彼女が私と別れっていました分かりません。

Translation

My Japanese level is still low. I told her, “Out of all the women in the world, you are the ‘cutest’ one.” I don’t know why she broke up with me.

I am open to corrections

1 Like

Took a break over the lenten season. Used the time to discern if Japanese was something I should stick to. Glad to be back. Corrections always appreciated.

漫画喫茶を行くのは、ぼくの姉です。

Translation

My older sister is the one who is going to the manga cafe.

Is it possible to say 行きますのは?

1 Like

Hi and welcome back!

I would just make two suggestions:

漫画喫茶行くのは、僕の姉 の方です。

If you say ‘漫画喫茶行く’ it sounds as if you went through the manga café. Here you can find more information on the differences between 行く and 行く.

As for the addition of の方, please take a look at this grammar point.

Finally, it wouldn’t be possible to say 行きますのは as the polite form ます goes at the end of the sentence. The only exceptions allowed are presented here.

HTH!

3 Likes

Hi Pablo,

The の方 part is unnecessary. The rest of what you said is good though :+1:.

2 Likes

Minor nitpick, but you’re treating the verb 「別れる」like it’s a Godan (う) Verb here, where it’s actually an Ichidan (る) Verb. The correct conjugation for polite past would be 別れていました instead of 別れていました。
Here’s a useful verb conjugation thread for you to look at if you’re interested.
I also believe this is an improper use of the polite form of the verb, and should instead be
「…別れていた分かりません。」
Hope this helps!

3 Likes

2019年12月に日本語能力試験のN4を合格したが、コロナウイルスのせいで、証明書を受け取りませんでした。

翻訳 | Translation

I passed the JLPT N4 in December 2019, but because of Covid, I never got my certificate.

(I requested a new one yesterday)

1 Like

Thank you for the correction! So it should be more like

「なぜ彼女が私と別れていた分かりません」?

1 Like

僕の仕事は難しすぎたから止めて海の下ヘ二万リグズ行った。

Translation

Work was too hard so I quit and went 20,000 leagues under the sea.

I am open to corrections.

1 Like

It should be:

「なぜ彼女が私別れた分かりません。」

You want to use the particle と here, to mean “with” me (not “to” me or “at” me like the particle に would imply). You’re also missing the か particle at the end of 別れる, which is functioning as the question marker in this case. Lastly, you want 別れる to be in the past tense (別れた) since you don’t continuously break up with someone. It just happens once and it’s done.

HTH!

3 Likes

I was attempting to use this grammar point:

You are dead and remain in the state of being dead/she broke up with me and we remain broken up. Does it work differently because the act of breaking up and remaining separated are different verbs, but しぬ applies both ways?

In Japanese, are “I don’t know why she broke up with me.” and “why did she break up with me?” both marked with because in both cases I don’t know the answer?

As far as I know, because I’m not 100% sure in this case, the action of breaking up (別れる) is not continuous. But if you were to use the verb 離れる (はなれる), then you can use the ている form because being separated is continuous. Being dead is also continuous.

I believe that the definition of “To separate” in Jisho is more like the action of “To break up”, since we’re talking about a couple in this case. This is why it’s important to see the word in action because context is super important in order to really understand the actual meaning of words. A lot of words sound similar, but their meaning might be different than what you’re thinking.

It has to do with there being a question inside a phrase. “Why she broke up with me? I don’t know.” That’s literally what you’re saying in Japanese. And since questions are typically marked by か, then you use it to mark it as such. Does that make sense?

2 Likes

Thank you, that does make sense. What a trip.

2 Likes

勝ちに近いと思っているところだったが「ロン」と聞いた。

Translation

Just as I thought I was close to winning, someone said “Ron!”.

六万九千四百二十は本当に可笑しい番号です。

Translation

69420 is a really funny number.

1 Like

英語を話す国に、計算機科学の学生達が初めて作ったアプリは、 たいてい、モニターに"Hello World"が書けるアプリです。

翻訳 | Translation

In English-speaking countries, the first program computer science students write is usually one that prints “Hello World” to the screen.

2 Likes

ほら!先生が聞かないふりをしている内に先生に関係がある噂を教えてね。

Translation / 英訳

Hey! While the teacher pretends not listen, tell me a rumour related to him, OK?

1 Like

妻にバスケットボールサイズなダイアモンドを買ってあげました。私の財布は現金がないけど心はお金持ちです。

Translation

I bought my wife a basketball sized diamond. My wallet is broke but my heart is rich.

I am open to corrections.

1 Like

Hi!

I think it’s perfect, your wife and your heart might think so too. Nice use of in its contrastative role.

The only thing I would comment is that both バスケットボール and サイズ are names (名詞), so it should be バスケットボールサイズのダイアモンド or バスケットボールのサイズのダイアモンド.

1 Like

So if translated literally, would that mean the concept of “basketball sized” is taking ownership of the diamond?

Edit: fixed a typo

1 Like