Have you written your Japanese Sentence today?

How did you add furigana?

like this: (漢字ふりがな)

<ruby>漢字<rt>ふりがな</rt></ruby>

Or you can split it up per character: (ふりがな)

<ruby>漢<rt>ふり</rt>字<rt>がな</rt></ruby>
2 Likes

私はレストランで食べてから、もっと食事を注文しましたが後で食べります。

Translation

I ate at the restaurant, then ordered more food to eat later.

私は日本語を話すことのが上手になりたいから、今日勉強しなきゃ。

Translation

I want to get better at speaking Japanese, so I have to study today.

この場所に入てはいけません。

Translation

Do not enter this place.

Corrections welcomed & appreciated!

私は安いケーキを食べた。よくなかった。

Translation!

I ate some cheap cake. It wasn’t good.

I wanted to use よくなかった. I had to look up the past plain tense of 食べる. Hopefully going to tackle godan and ichidan verb conjugations today and tomorrow. If anyone has any tips for understanding them, please share :heart:

Hi there!

Given your English translation, I would rephrase the first sentence as:

私はレストランで食べたが、後で食べるためにもっと食事を注文しました。

I think this is a more natural way to express that thought. Also, you wrote 食べます, and since the verb 食べる is an Ichidan Verb, the 「り 」is not necessary.

The second sentence has an extra sentence nominaliser (こと and の) but we only need one. In this case, we use の when using 上手 or 下手, so it ends up being:

私は日本語を話すのが上手になりたいから、今日も勉強しなきゃ。

I added も after 今日 in order to make it sound more natural.

As for sentence number 3, you missed the small っ in the verb 入る, which is a Godan verb. Since the person above this post is asking, I’ll put a link of a thread I made about Japanese Conjugations in the reply to that post. I think you should check it out too :blush:.

Anyway, here’s the corrected 3rd sentence:

この場所に入ってはいけません。

HTH!

1 Like

Here’s a thread I made, with videos that explain Japanese verb conjugations. Personally, I think this is the best way to learn them (rather than the way it’s taught in books such as Genki I, which I think is confusing). It’ll make more sense once you watch the videos posted there. Here’s the link:

Once you learn the conjugation rules, if you want to practice them, there’s this website, as well as an app (if you prefer) that can be used for that purpose:

HTH!

3 Likes

友1:えっ?彼女かのじょかせたのかい?
友2:彼女かのじょいてたからこそあやまったんだよ。

Translation

Friend 1: What? You made your girlfriend cry?
Friend 2: It’s precisely because she was crying that I apologized.

Corrections welcome :hugs:

Wow, I learned a lot from these!
このスレッドを読む、だから新しい言葉は知る。

Translation

I read this thread, that way I learn new words.

Please correct + improve upon my Japanese (❁´◡`❁)

1 Like

You have to rephrase your ideas so that they sound natural in the other language. For example, in Japanese it is common to give the reason first before stating the action taken.

Also, in this case, you want to use the verb 学ぶ = “To Learn” since the verb 知る means “To Know”. So you end up with the following sentence:

新しい言葉を学ぶためにこのスレッドを読む。

HTH!

3 Likes

I see, thank you so much! Why does ために sound more natural than だから here? Does it convey more of an intentional causation, like I’m choosing to take Action A to cause Action B?

1 Like

ために is often translated as “in order to,” so it seems to match your intended meaning better. So:
あたらしい言葉ことばまなぶためにこのスレッドをむ。
Might be translated something like:
“I read this thread in order to learn new words.”

だから has a meaning more like “because,” which is similar but sounds a little different from what I think you’re trying to convey. So:
このスレッドをむ。だから、あたらしい言葉ことばまなぶ。
Might be translated something like:
“I read this thread. Because of that, I learn new words.”
You can also instead write it as:

このスレッドをむから、あたらしい言葉ことばまなぶ。
To get something more like:
Because I read this thread, I learn new words.”

So I guess you’re right, there’s more intention to ために than だから. I’ve never thought of it that way before, but it’s a good way to distinguish them quickly.

Hope that makes sense and was maybe a little helpful. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

今日、「ばかり」を使う言葉しか勉強しなかった。 :exploding_head:

ははらないものばかりってる。
このじゅぎょうむずしくなっているばかりだ。
ねんわすれたばかりに、彼女かのじょぼくのこととわかれた。

Translation

All my mom buys is stuff she doesn’t need.
This class keeps getting harder.
Just because I forgot our anniversary, my girlfriend broke up with me.

Corrections welcome :smiley:

2 Likes

私は毛糸を買いたいけど、配送費が高すぎる。配今のバーゲンセールの割引は配送費に比べて小さい。配送費が無量セールに待ちなきゃいけない。

Translation | 翻訳

I want to buy yarn, but the shipping fee is too expensive. The current sale isn’t enough to make up for the shipping costs. I have to wait for a ‘free shipping’ sale.

It’s not an exact translation, since I wrote the Japanese first, and then tried to reiterate my feelings in English. Corrections/suggestions are welcome.

2 Likes

よく 健康 けんこうのために 毎日 まいにち 散歩 さんぽするは 必要ひつようです。

Translation

It is necessary to take a walk every day for good health.

今私は仕事しているですが、今夜休みます。

Translation

I’m working now, but I’ll take tonight off.

誰かがあそこに私の数学の本を動かしたですか?

Translation

Did someone move my math book over there?

Corrections welcomed & appreciated :slight_smile:

なぜか「訳がない」という文法を覚えることができる訳がない。でも、全然覚えられないみたいだ。

Translation / 英訳

For some reason, there is no way I can remember the “訳がない” grammar. But it looks like I can’t remember it.

今、日本語のクラスで日本語を勉強しています。

1 Like

私は毎日画面を見すぎます。でも仕事のせいで仕方がありません。

Trans

I look at screens too much every day. But I can’t help it because of work.

corrections are welcomed

私は昨晩夢を見た。夢の中で、 夜空は紫だった。思えば、 全ても紫だった。迚も紫の夢だった。

Translation

I had a dream last night. In my dream, the night sky was purple. Come to think of it, everything was purple. It was a very purple dream.

I really wanted to use 思えば. Originally, I wanted to say “Come to think of it, it could have been because I played Skyrim. Skyrim’s night sky is very purple.” The idea was way too complex for me to express though…
Please correct and improve upon my Japanese ♪(^∇^*)

3 Likes

先週末は水族館から追い出された。そちらの人々はとても意地悪!何が問題分かりません。標識は「フラッシュ写真をとるか動物に餌をするな」って言った。「釣りは禁止されている」って言わなかった。

Translation

I was kicked out of the aquarium last weekend. The people over there are very mean! I don’t know what the problem is. The sign said, “Don’t take flash photography or feed the animals.” It didn’t say, “Fishing is prohibited.”

Corrections are welcome

1 Like