Immersion Log Let's try something new!

Let’s try 5 minutes of immersion, 5 days a week. Any one is welcome to post what they used for immersion today. Let’s enjoy Japanese together!
Edit: Immersion (in this case) means practicing Japanese intended for Japanese Audiences.

11 Likes

Today I googled onsen in Japanese until I found this site: 絶景露天風呂 眺望抜群の温泉宿 | (jre-travel.com). I spent awhile mostly looking at the pictures, and looking them up in google maps. Not the best immersion, but it counts.

10 Likes

Alright then!

I usually practice reading through NHK News Web EASY with furigana off, amongst other resources. Today I read three articles (記事) that I found interesting: this one, this one and this one.

4 Likes

Alright! I’ve been meaning to read more, so this will give me the push that I needed!

I read this today: once with the voice-over and once without it. For these short N5 pieces, I’ll read it once while looking up words with Yomichan, and then with the voice-over if there is one. I know I should just read it twice, once without looking up anything and then again without, but whatever.

4 Likes

確かに美味しそうですね。アンパンやメロンパン食べてほしいなーw

I read around half an hour of my current book while commuting today.
Trying to get away from using dictionaries atm, so I’ll usually read through a chapter or section without any external help, and then I sometimes read it again while looking up stuff and putting it into anki or occasionally bunpro.

Recently I’ve noticed that reading steadily gives me a pretty substantial boost in how quickly and accurately I read very quickly, so I’m happy to read at least five minutes a day with y’all :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Read the news articles, and now I know the Japanese word for weed 大麻, so thanks ꉂ🤣𐤔

2 Likes

Nice thread idea.

Yesterday:
Read yesterday’s 天声人語 (daily opinion column in the 朝日新聞)
Read some of そして、バトンは渡された
Attended a 忘年会
An episode of 水曜どうでしょう

大麻 is more like the English word “cannabis” than “weed”. For slang I believe 草 and 葉っぱ used but I’d consult a dictionary before trusting me.

7 Likes

I spent the day with Japanese friends.
I watched some bilingual jokes from “Kevin’s English Room”
and I listened to the podcast “Let’s Learn Japanese from Small Talk”

6 Likes

It’s not always for 5 minutes but I often read blog posts on https://note.com/

For anyone at around N3 or higher, these are great for reading practice. If you read one post maybe it’ll take around 5 minutes depending on the blog post and your level.

5 Likes

Today, I spent about 30 minutes reading a few of the easiest easier stories on Tadoku Supporters. I also made a Natively account so I can keep track of my reading from now on.

Yesterday, I watched the latest episodes of Spy x Family and The Apothecary Diaries with English subs, but that doesn’t really count. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Yesterday:

Went to a 肉フェス with a friend
Went to a スポーツサークル event and met some new people
Watched about an hour of TV
Read in snatches on the train

3 Likes

Hi, today I read this. You might know the original story…

多読サイトは本当に面白い図書館です。

3 Likes

While I was at the gym earlier, I decided to listen to the first episode of しろくまカフェ without subs (I was on the treadmill, if you must know). I’ve already seen it several times so I knew what was going on without the screen cues or anything. It…went.

3 Likes

しろくまカフェ goes hard. I read some of the manga; but I’ve found it to be more difficult than I had initially thought - the characters often speak in casual style and use a lot of slang.

I read another fifteen pages or so of 秒速5センチメートル, finally got to part 3 of 3 woo~.
Maybe I’ll be able to finish it until the end of the year. :smile:

2 Likes

Yesterday I took a free lesson set up by the government. If you live in Japan and your level is above N3 I think this is a great chance. Before I couldn’t understand old people at all so it’s good listening practice! :smiley:

4 Likes

Down another 30 pages over the last two days, going strong with my book atm :slight_smile:
At this pace I’ll get done by Christmas instead of at the end of the year. Really glad that my speed seems to be increasing as well, might get to some of the other books in my back log over the holiday season.

If anybody has any Japanese history podcasts (history podcasts in Japanese, not podcasts about Japanese history) to recommend I’d be happy to try some out! I like to neglect my audio input, and I think I want to make the switch to mainly listening to podcasts about topics I enjoy in Japanese.

4 Likes

Besides my Bunpro reviews, I didn’t do anything in Japanese today: I studied Korean instead. Eh, such is life. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

For some time I’ve been reading the first Harry Potter in Japanese. It’s great practice because we all know the story well so as a first book I really enjoy it. I can definitely see the difference between when I started and now: sometimes I can read a few paragraphs before hitting something I don’t understand while I had to read the first 10 pages maybe 30 times to understand the grammar and whatnot.

70% down, 30% to go, hoping to finish before new year :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Let’s go!!
I tried to read some of it a while ago, it’s quite a bit more difficult than 秒速5センチメートル, but I might read it after I get done with my current books.
I have 18 pages left now, looks like I’ll get done on the next or second next train ride :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello, today I came back to 多読 and read this one.

Good て form and ていた practice. I learned some interesting verbs, like 座り込む and 立ち上げる, some useful 形容詞 like 分厚い, the adverb ようやく (which I think would be synonym to 到頭) and the expression 顔を見せる.

In fact, I saw the usefulness of the verb suffix -こむ, which deserves two lessons in N3 (this one and this one).

All in all, I was a good read, 良読りょうどく if I may say so.

2 Likes