iOS app feedback

Only one way to find out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Updated todayā€¦No difference noted thus far

4 Likes

About the state of the app

Iā€™ve unfortunately been busy lately due to my daily job since I transition to a new workplace.
Because of that I wasnā€™t able to invest a lot of time for the app (Iā€™d like to do much much moreā€¦)

But since BunPro introduces a new dark design, I took the opportunity to bring that to the app as well (no light design yet :/)
So everyone updating to Build 41 will get it :smiley:
Furthermore there are some bugfixes I wanted to get rid of for quite some timeā€¦ like the number of reviews on the app icon that did not update although new came in or got finished. Now it updates and youā€™ll get a more accurate number. Keep in mind that it still can take some time since itā€™s not done with Push Notifications and the OS decides when to update, so donā€™t expect it to update the second you got new reviews :wink:

There is still a bug with turning the device into landscape mode while searching for grammar. This seems to be a general bug in iOS and I reported it to Apple.

@s1212z iOS 12 does not have any issues so far :slight_smile:

On the note of iOS 12, I really want to add the Shortcuts feature for cramming and study soon, so you can tell Siri that itā€™s BunPro Time!

One note to all Beta Tester:
We will transition the app to an official BunPro Account soon, so there will be the need to reenter the Beta program (since itā€™s technically a different app) and youā€™ll need to relogin (Password Autofill to the rescue :D)

If you have features you really miss and want to see in the app, just tell me here (mention please)

Right now there are some missing, like checking off readings, notes, custom study and setting the number of study items. Those are coming, but are not ready yet.

If you have ideas for features iOS provides like Shortcuts or lets say a watchOS app, donā€™t hesitate to discuss it here.

I hope you all like the new design and sorry for not having a light version yet ._.

Build 41 will be the last version released with my private account.
We will provide a TestFlight Beta Link to the new Beta Test soon.

4 Likes

Can I get an invitation to use the app? Thank you.

2 Likes

Sure! Just follow this link. Please let us know what you think. Cheers!

1 Like

Hey, guys!

I just started using Bunpro, and as many others I too come from the WK community. So far, Iā€™m loving it! Youā€™ve really put a lot of effort into it :grinning:

I just downloaded the iOS app and it has been working well so far with iOS 12.1.

@Rion I just have one feedback - I hope it helps :wink:
Since Iā€™m still at the beginning of WK, I still feel the need for furigana. I noticed there was no furigana, but only a ā€œsubtitleā€ at the bottom of the example sentence. Also, Iā€™m using the WK API key to hide the kanji I already know, but the subtitles keep showing up at the bottom even for these kanji. Itā€™s nothing that hinders the example per se, but Iā€™d love to get a version with furigana in the future, if you guys have the time.

I also miss the check boxes for completed readings. Again, nothing major, but it helps feeling like youā€™ve accomplished the grammar point, haha

Other than that, everything is working smoothly with the app.
I hope to see the official app soon!
Cheers! :hugs:

2 Likes

Build 46 is here

There are some changes to the UI:

• The former JLPT Level screen now displays the grammar points directly instead of just displaying the level with some metrics about it.
  • A JLPT Level now has a header with metrics and a progress.
  • The Search Grammar Points screen now features the same progress header for the JLPT (same as the Level)

Bugfixes:

• Fixed a bug where a large amount of reviews lead to freezes and in some cases to crashes.

Note:

1. I have reports of reviews being displayed that are incorrect (like having 29 although the correct amount would be 0) and I wanā€™t able to recreate that but since there was a performance issue with updating larger amounts of reviews, I suspect itā€™s related and potentially fixed.
    If you still experience that, please tell me and I investigate further.

2. Since a now use a new level property that was not saved before, the start of the app after the update will look funny for a few seconds (like no progress on the new headers). The database needs to update first and that can take a moment (a lot of grammarā€¦ boy itā€™s a lot). Donā€™t panic.
    There is a little note to this note: I noticed that in some weird cases I got an unexpected result from the API and we investigate this. If this happens to you, the database will not update and you will need to restart the app. The Update usually takes less than 20 seconds, but that depends on the device, so please be patient :slight_smile:

I hope you like and give me feedback as always :smiley:

Want to test the app? https://testflight.apple.com/join/jx9i7aPp

2 Likes

Furigana is unfortunately not a simple problem right now.
iOS does support it, but a bug prevents it from being displayed and the other solutions I tried are a bit heavy on performanceā€¦
Iā€™d like to have it, too!

The readings check boxes are on my list and I somehow keep postponing it :persevere:

2 Likes

Apparently I was still using the old beta until now. :laughing:

1 Like

:scream:
But you are not alone with that :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Rion Itā€˜s been a while since the last comment in this thread, is the iOS app still in development? What changes have there been lately? And when is the App Store Release planned so people get their updates automatically?

Since Iā€˜m an experienced iOS developer myself and you were writing as if this app was just a hobby project of yours, I wonder if I could be of any help during development? Specifically, I would love to add features and fix bugs that I come across myself.

For example, currently the study paths on the website are not supported within the app. Since Iā€˜m using BunPro alongside the Minna No Nihongo books, thatā€˜s a key feature for me, but I canā€˜t use it within the app, even if I configure it on the website. I always have to go to the website to study and then only return to the app for reviews, which sucks. :sweat_smile:

Iā€˜d love to add that feature myself if you donā€˜t have the time and everybodyā€˜ll profit.

Feel free to checkout my GitHub profile:

4 Likes

Hi @Dschee

that are Features we are working on, but since there is no api yet that delivered those informations, the app cannot provide them at the moment.
Another missing feature is the whole EXP system.
I will be implemented piece by piece in a later version.

A release of the app is planned soon.

There are thoughts of opening it up to contributions but I wanted to clean up some rather messy parts first before haha

Could you get in touch with me to talk about what you want to do? Just write me an email via TestFlight and we can discuss some topics :slight_smile:

And yes it is in Development but I did not have as much time as Iā€™d like to have lately, so it was not much unfortunately.

5 Likes

This area is automatically enable whenever opening a new topic going through the ios app. Iā€™m not sure the purpose but I find it annoying as it sometimes flips back and forth without even tapping it. Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting that could be enabled? I suppose I could homepage the community separately but I prefer the link through the app.

I canā€™t read the dark blue hyperlinks font on top of the dark background, could this be changed?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a bug, so yes, can be changed! Thanks for reporting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is the reader mode activating automatically if you press on ā€žCommunityā€œ from the settings screen of the app?

3 Likes

It usually opens automatically when I select a new discussion topic. When scrolling to view, sometimes it automatically opens again (but not consistently).

1 Like

@Rion can you update the search so it works with kana? I tried searching for ć¾ć , and nothing relevant came back since the grammar points are listed using ęœŖ恠.

3 Likes

ć‚ć‹ć‚Šć¾ć—ćŸ (ļæ£^ļæ£)悞

4 Likes

Adding lessons consistently crashes/exits the app (though the lesson does get added). Is this a know issue? This has been happening for a while now.

1 Like

Can you provide some data?

• Device
  • OS
  • App Version (Build)

If you are using the iOS 13 beta, the app is really unstable at the moment and Iā€˜m working on a fix for that.

1 Like