JLPT December 2024

All the N2 slots in my city were sold out by evening opening day, but I’m going to keep studying as through I was taking the test and just take a bunch of practice tests.

2 Likes

Sounds more like you might be ready for N3 by the time of the JLPT

No Why not go for N4? By the time the test comes around you will be so much further ahead than N5.

No reason to put off N4. I skipped N5 myself to go to N4 directly. It might even be a good motivation for your study. Make sure to do and listen to actual N4 mock tests. I had a bit of a shock when doing the N4 mock listening in particular. For one of the sections, I had no idea what to do at all until the first two questions flew by. Doing the mock test definitely prepared me better for the actual test.

1 Like

I did initially intend to go for N3 but I could only grind up to N4 grammar this summer. I have school coming up soon so my plan is to just review what I have for the next few months and drastically slow new lessons.

I have to travel quite a distance to take the test so I just want to make sure I pass. N4 seems to be the consensus between the few people I’ve asked, so I’ll probably go with that.

Yeah the listening part of the test seems to be everyone’s biggest concern. When I took the N5 practice test on the JLPT website a few weeks ago, it was by far the worst score I got.

I think someone in this thread mentioned how they did/do listening practice, so I’ll look into that. Thanks for the advice.

We are kinda in the same boat progress wise. Level 15 Wanikani right now and half way through N4 grammar on Bunpro. I am going to do N3 in December but I got a full time job and doing all this is kinda tough right now. I do reviews and lessons in the morning + reviews in the evening, listen to audiobooks whenever i do something and watch anime during downtime.

It’s a lot of effort and i felt like putting that in just for N4 wasn’t good enough or motivating enough. N3 seemed just right.

Yeah if that’s what you feel comfortable with, go for it. As for me, I get the impression that the JLPT is probably going to be harder than most of the other tests I’ve taken in my life. Also, school has to be my main priority so going forward I don’t really have the time to learn an entire extra level of content.

1 Like

We are on the same boat. I’m currently lvl30 on Wanikani and planning to take N3 this December '24.

I think N4 would be somewhat easy for you at this point. I passed N4 last year (December '23) halfway thru Bunpro N4 and lvl14 at Wanikani. My score was ギリギリ.

Also going to take JLPT in Stuttgart as a JLPT first-timer! Did not know it was that rough to get a spot :o I just registered on day one because I was I wanted to book the train as soon as possible!

2 Likes

High Five! fellow Stuttgart testtaker :slight_smile: Do you all have to travel much? I just hope I’m not sick then (kids in school and daycare :see_no_evil:).

1 Like

I’m looking forward to trying it for the first time going for the N5. Just finished the grammar for it a few days ago, and I’m at about half of the vocabulary - I’m feeling a bit slow with that, so maybe need to rush it a bit more!

I’m dreaming about taking a week of vacations at work and going to Japan to take it, but I’ve read you need to provide a japanese address for them to send there a letter… I’m wondering if there is some reliable way of doing it, as I’ve found very few info about it, some mentions to using post forwarding services, a hotel address (but then what?), and of course using a japanese friend or relatives address (I’d wish!)

Does someone have ever tried any of this (hopefully in a successful way :slight_smile: ), or have some other ideas?

1 Like

Honestly, I wouldn’t do that. Have you been to Japan before? If it’s going to be your first trip ever to Japan, everything new, jetlag, getting around… it will most probably be very overwhelming. Towards the end of a longer vacation, maybe, but not if it’s only a week.

3 Likes

going to try N5 - i have only barely completed the N5 track - my score is insane because of Wanikani but I’ve gamefied that too much and need to really just work on grammar, listening, and some vocab that might have escaped my immediate attention - was thinking of starting diary if I get registered (my plane is reserved - my only hope is I get a seat in the exam)

Yes, you need to provide a Japanese address. You can actually print the voucher from the website a few days before the exam…I had a printed voucher and it was fine… The voucher has the map of the exam building (and room number) and your number, photo and the provided address.

Edit to make this clearer and I actually forgot about this oops: On the application you have to select the test area (eg Kansai, Hokkaido, Aichi etc check the JLPT website). On the voucher it will say where the test will be. This is very different compared to Europe where is seems like we can just apply through the specific university / organization.

Probably you can just use the hotel that you will be staying at! Just ask them if its OK… The voucher normally arrives 2 weeks to 1 week before the actual exam. Probably you could use your embassy’s address too (as long as you ask).

If possible try to stay a bit longer in Japan, not just one week before the exam to get accustomed a bit more and get enough rest…

1 Like

Planning to take the plane as taking the train from berlin would probably way longe and cost more lol

I am planning on doing this as well (N1 Dec 25) and I have already created an account online using a mail forwarding service for my address.

I have been there last year. Have not yet decided where to take it. Maybe Fukuoka, Yokohama, or even Sapporo :stuck_out_tongue:

Wait hold on… If I use a mail forwarding service I need to be home and get the voucher before I can leave for Japan then right? And what do you mean I have to do it based on the address? So if my mail forwarding service is somewhere north of Hokkaido I’ll have to do it there? (I wouldn’t mind though, just taking the choice away from me is a bit weird)

1 Like

I took the old Level 2 some 25-30 years ago. After a long time off, I will be retaking the N2 this December in Seattle.

4 Likes

I spent a while debating between cramming for the N2 or taking a slower pace and going for the N3, and eventually decided that I feel more comfortable with not pushing myself so soon. My goal for taking this exam is to see if it can open up some job opportunities in Japan, but I’m so early in my career that I need to build up some skills and credentials first. No need to rush myself with Japanese if I’m in no place to go career-wise! Better to familiarize myself with the test and hope I can get N2 and N1 in subsequent years!

Besides, N2 means nothing as a credential if I can’t do an interview in Japanese either, and output is not tested for JLPT levels ( _ _) Gotta get my speaking up eventually…

3 Likes

I am using N2 as a bridge to N1. Most of the work opportunities I am interested in in Japan would require at least N1-level Japanese (even if the actual certificate is not needed).

Once the the voucher has been made, it can be printed off the JLPT website. Soooooooooo in a way, you don’t actually need to receive it… You can just print it off in Japan.

Sorry… I was just saying that on the application you select the test area not the actual test locaiton.
Eg I took the JLPT in Nagoya this year but my exam location was in one part of the city and my friends did it in another area in Nagoya, like an hour away, yet we gave the same address. We didn’t know until the voucher was created.

3 Likes

Ah so you mean I can just specify Yokohama but they don’t tell me where in Yokohama until the time comes?

1 Like