Lost streak

I like your attitude, man, please keep going.

1 Like

Understood, but I study about once a day as well and have only been doing so for about a year. Again, no disrespect intended, but I don’t understand how it’s mathematically possible.

I think what @ggw1776 is asking is, did you reset anything along the way, or did you take on lots and lots of ghosts? :slight_smile:

It’s totally possible. I am also a slow learner. My current streak is 571 and I’m level 46. I also work full time and between Anki, WaniKani, Bunpro, italki, reading etc… I get my reviews done and 1 or 2 new grammar points a week.

5 Likes

I can say that I have lost my streak twice before, I dont know the reasons, but these are my theories.
The first time was because I had a streak with multiple 1-review only days, it might have been that a grammar point got removed, so the review stats dissapeared (?), or that the time-zone changed and that review got shifted to another day.

The second time might have been because I did my reviews in one session, but the session window was up for a very long time. My theory here is that the session might have timed out even though everything worked, result screen showed percentage etc. but didnt upload any stats. I just closed the page after seeing the results and noticed the next day that I had 0 reviews that done the prevoius day.

My advice is that after you finish your reviews and end up at the score screen - always click back to your profile to make sure stats have been uploaded.

This is what happened with me.

Is it possible to change the time a new day starts? In Anki, we can set the start time of a new day to like 5AM, so that people like me who sometimes study before 12AM and sometimes after 12AM have more flexibility in order to maintain their streak.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Anki streak doesn’t work like that. Setting the new day to start at 5AM just means the new cards appear at 5AM, but if you don’t study at all and then midnight hits your streak goes down to zero.

With the way bunpro works I don’t think anything like that is even remotely possible. The only thing I would recommend would be to change your timezone to something that fits when you study but that’s just going to lead to a million other problems if it’s something extreme and is 1000000% not worth it just for a streak number

1 Like

British Summer Time saved my 161 day streak yesterday. It don’t reset until 1am so I was lucky and managed to get my reviews in after midnight. I know the pain though, I missed a day at Christmas and lost Aug-Dec, otherwise I would be coming up to my 365 badge soon.

1 Like

My 210 streak got lost after yesterday was lost in the woods in the countryside, without coverage and transport.

RIP. I’ve tried all the timezones, and there’s no saving it. I guess it’s hard to save when you don’t do the streaks all at the same time every day with that.

1 Like

I think Bunpro could make use of implementing a 1 day grace period because things happen, you know. If it’s just a little over 24 hours due to situations like above, but the user still remembers their intention to do Reviews/Lessons/Cram daily, I don’t see why a user need to feel like they are not doing the work.

Not sure if this is pushing it, but 2 days grace period like Duolingo would be great too. Maybe having a deficit in XP for missing 2 days? But perhaps we can make a vote to see which would be more popular or beneficial, whether 1 day or 2 days grace period.

Anything more than that, the user just needs to be reminded of the use of Vacation mode.

1 Like

Having an optional opt-in 1 or 2 grace period over X days would be cool.

Here hoping @mrnoone and team can add it in an update. It might be too late for me but others can be saved in the future!

I mean what happened to me yesterday is as extreme as it gets (or at least I hope so). In my quest of disconnecting from the city I almost end up having to sleep in a forest that has bears and snakes and stuff around.

3 Likes

@Megumin

Great idea!

I hope you are not casting explosion spells at random, seemingly abandoned castles.
Something tells me, it might be dangerous :wink:

4 Likes

An app with offline mode would resolve this and then some. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah shoot, that might have helped drive away the bears and snakes and also made appear help to rescue me (and look what the fuck caused the explosion).

What a missed opportunity.

1 Like

Oh yes! :smiley: We need that … There is already a mobile app, but an offline mode could be amazing.

3 Likes

I like what Kanji Garden does (it’s about the only thing that’s good about that app). As you build up your streak you can accumulate up to three hearts. When you miss a day you lose one heart, and only when you lost the last heart your streak breaks. I don’t know the intervals off-hand, but I don’t think it has to be very generous to catch most of these accidentally dropped streaks.

4 Likes

I feel like this might be the best place to ask… just lost a streak of over 600 days by missing the midnight mark by 5 mins. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Any chance of a little streak reinstatement if i ask ever so nicely? :hugs: @mrnoone

2 Likes

You need to beat @mrnoone in a grammar battle to get your lost streak back.

I did and I lost, and I didn’t get my streak back. Now I live in shame.

3 Likes

Ooof, better make sure I don’t lose my streak then… An impossible challenge if there is any!

I do think @nekoyama 's heart idea is a really good one though, I work shifts myself and I do occasionally miss a day due to misremembering if I did one already when switching sleeping regimes, so a bit of a safeguard would keep me more motivated to keep it running and keep coming back.

1 Like