Mobile App - UI refactor

Thank you!

Something I’ve been wondering about the android app though. There’s a play button :arrow_forward: inside the box where you input your answer that seems to do nothing. The only useful play button :arrow_forward: is the one that appears when an answer has audio. Many times both of these play buttons :arrow_forward: :arrow_forward: display at the same time, though only one of them has any functionality.

1 Like

Does the furigana sync with wanikani api key not work in the app? It works fine on the desktop site but in the app it doesn’t do anything.

1 Like

@Slysoft
Hey
The furigana setting in the app does not work yet, but we will implement it in the near future.
Cheers

1 Like

Update, version 0.4.1+111

• Introduced “Caffeine Mode”: This new feature keeps your screen active and prevents it from dimming, ensuring an uninterrupted user experience (you can access it in settings or during reviews)
  • Resolved an issue that prevented some users from initiating reviews.
  • Fixed a glitch that caused the Wanikani Furigana mode to malfunction.
  • Addressed the issue of the ‘Play Audio’ button not displaying in the vocabulary section.
  • Enhanced error logging for more accurate tracking and resolution of issues.
  • Fixed some display issues where some texts were not appearing correctly on the result screen.
  • Implemented various other fixes and improvements to enhance stability and performance.
6 Likes

The update has been released for both android and iOS (version 4.1.0 build 117)

Details:

• added Review Queue Order menu

• it is now possible to sort your Review queue in a few different ways or limit reviews number
  • added Reading Review-Type to both grammar and vocab reviews

• reading review type shows the full sentence (with answer included) and then one self-grades oneself based upon whether or not they got it correct
  • added Hide Streak

• it is now possible to hide streak counter from the dashboard
  • improved performance of reviews, they should be much faster and consume less battery than before

• fixed ruby tags showing in some grammar explanations

• fixed wrong order in which grammar/vocab is presented in study

• fixed your progress screen sometimes crashing

• fixed answers written in katakana not working during reviews

• many other fixes

• fixed potential crash on android 14 when notifications are enabled or used

• fixed ghost reviews input type not matching their parent review input type

• fixed sorting not working in vocab decks

• other fixes

5 Likes

Thanks for the update! After having used the browser for the reading review style for a few days, I just did a review session on the app.

I had two issues:

Some of the reviews didn’t have the grammar point highlighted, so it was all white text and sometimes hard to tell what was being tested.

And one of the reviews asked me to fill in the blank, even though I hadn’t had that happen to me in the browser (I changed all the review types from the decks page). EDIT: I think this one was my bad and I think I resolved it.

And I had a few suggestions:

In the browser you choose Good or Hard twice to mark an answer. In the app it’s only once. Might be a good idea to have the behaviors match, or even better, let it be in the options for users to decide to require one click or two clicks.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I’d love for the Good and Hard buttons to be mappable to the volume buttons on the side of my phone.

I like the inclusion of the audio in the app for the front side of the card. Can an option be added that makes it so the audio auto-plays?

Thank you again for making the Bunpro experience better and better!

1 Like

Hi there, I want sure if my last reply was seen so I wanted to include some screenshots to illustrate some of the points I made:

(instances of the grammar points not being properly highlighted – this happened in around a fourth of my review items, which affects my accuracy because I don’t know what’s being tested)

(would be nice to have the option for the audio to auto play + most items do not have audio available)

Thanks for hearing my feedback!

1 Like

Hey
I am looking into the bug, I will make sure to fix it with next release!
Cheers

1 Like

Wonderful, thank you!

1 Like

Would be great if the keyboard could default to Japanese instead of the Romaji keyboard!

3 Likes

So for me, Wanikani furigana mode still doesn’t work. Do I need to do something to get the app to sync? It seems to work find on the website based version.

Also, furigana that is shown on my Android vs my iPad vs the web all show different words with/without furigana. So I wasn’t sure if this is still a work in progress or expected to work.

Also, on the app, both iOS and Android, I noticed that the review order queue doesn’t respect my request. It always stick ghosts first even if I say I want to see normal reviews first.

2 Likes

@entropyofchaos
I am looking into the wanikani problem, as for the order queue,
did you reset the reviews (restarted them) after changing the order?

Yep, I have. The only thing I’ve seen working is the review limit. Currently my sort progress is Descending Order. My review category sort is Normal, Ghost, Self-Study. And then I have it set to show only 10 reviews at a time.

It always seems to show me ghosts first however. Then the normal reviews once I beat down my queue enough.

Thanks for looking into this and your quick reply.

1 Like

@entropyofchaos
Good news, thanks to your report I found the edge case and got it fixed :slight_smile:
It will be released with next update.

Have a nice weekend :sunglasses:

1 Like

@mrnoone
Yay, glad I can kind of help. I don’t know why, but I always seem to have a knack for breaking things. I am also a software developer, so it can also be useful although annoying. haha

When you have an update on the furigana side, give me a heads up. If you need me to test anything as well, please feel free to reach out.

I can’t find the app on the Japanese App Store. There are no hits for bunpro.

1 Like

@ching
Hey and welcome on the community forums,
The app is accessible here in beta:

Mobile app supports offline mode, so you can finish your piled reviews when you are offline (but you won’t be able to get new reviews when offline) and a lot of other amazing stuff.

Have a nice weekend!

1 Like

Not sure if this would be the right place to report this, but I also had noticed the vocab lists in the app had not updated with the cloze support when your team announced they were updated. I had a few N3 words I realized that were acting odd because they thought the english sentences were missing. As a test, I cleared the app’s data and re-logged in. Then the sentences were populated. There may be a database refresh issue in the app. Not sure if there is a backend sync button to force a sync, but I couldn’t find one. This was on the Android version of the app.

Update: I did check on my iPad. I did notice the same issue I was having on my Android phone. I assume the way to fix this would be uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Unless you have a different solution.

Any chance you will add select text in the readings? Sometimes I would like to translate parts of the text instead of reading the full translation and it would be super useful.

3 Likes

The new app UX is fantastic! Especially compared to the mobile version of the web app on the same device, where things need to be scrolled back and forth all the time! :tada:

The only reason why I still use the web version for most of my reviews is that the iOS app for some reason doesn’t remember words where I’ve chosen (or synced with WK) furigana to be hidden. The web app is very consistent in that regard - hiding it once hides it for good - but on the mobile app it pops back up seemingly randomly, and on some words it never hides for longer than one screen.

2 Likes