My reviews queue just broke

Edit: The problem was an accidental sync with WaniKani

Hey everyone, I just did some reviews followed by a batch of new vocabulary lessons. Before the lessons, I had 0 reviews due. After the lessons I suddenly have 297! That’s way more than the number of reviews that should come up during this entire day.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Is the website undergoing any maintenance? I am worried that if I try to do any of these reviews, things might get even worse.

I also noticed that during the lessons, some vocabulary would “flicker” and be replaced by a different word right when I first saw it upon clicking “next”.

Hopefully this can be reversed! 笑

2 Likes

Additional info: all reviews that suddenly showed up are vocab reviews - likely related to a bug while doing vocab lessons

1 Like

OK, I think I figured it out… I accidentally synced Bunpro’s vocab with WaniKani’s by turning on “daily sync”. All I wanted was to update the furigana.
Is there a way to reverse this? I wanted to go through all vocab using Bunpro as extra practice.

Since I only started Bunpro a month ago, all my Mastered vocab came from this accidental sync. I guess I could manually reset progress for all mastered vocab

1 Like

I’ve never unsynced WaniKani vocabulary before, but here are some posts that I’ve seen about WaniKani vocabulary/furigana/etc.:

Post #1: Bunpro has made some changes to WaniKani sync recently. Consider marking WaniKani vocabulary as mastered.
Post #2: Separating reviews for grammar and vocabulary or resetting WaniKani Vocabulary
Post #3 WaniKani Furigana Sync

Edit: fixed image

2 Likes

Thanks! I started to manually reset/remove the vocab that was added from Wanikani to my Bunpro review queue. It’s pretty clear which vocabulary was added this way because my accuracy is “none”. I hope that after resetting + removing from the review queue, this vocab will end up coming back to my learn queue as I work through the Bunpro decks

1 Like

I think this wording needs to be corrected on the site to make absolutely clear that you don’t need to sync Wanikani to get the furigana data synced.

Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks for helping @_HA472, I’ve given you the Bunpro Supporter badge.

3 Likes

Uh, same here! Finished my reviews yesterday, logged in today and there are 1008 reviews ready! :open_mouth: I submitted a bug report. But I do use WK sync. Don’t want to change any settings before I get confirmation… I only use BP for grammar, not Vocab though.

If you don’t use Bunpro for vocab, WK sync is not necessary. To sync the Furigana data you don’t need that option

I leave mine like this

2 Likes

A ha! I turned off the daily sync, then clicked Mark as Mastered, and now I’m back to the expected few number of reviews. It gave me 10 levels of XP in the process :stuck_out_tongue: thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Fixed the wording FYI!
Should hopefully help out users in the future

1 Like

Thank you for the prompt action! It will definitely help me whenever I get up early on a Sunday and decide to mess with my settings…

1 Like

This also happened to me a few days ago.

I ended up using the wanikani reset assuming it would only remove items imported.

I had to manually add back 500+ as level 0 one at a time and slowly been dealing with all the extra reviews.

I hope the changed wording helps but definitely take a look at the reset page too.

I had words removed I had not learned on wanikani.

I guess it removes all possible words from all 60 levels.

1 Like