✨ Quality of Life Updates (Sep 2024)

:bunprogold: New Feature Roundup

Like we did last time, we’ve got a bunch of miscellaneous features we’ve released that aren’t each big enough for their own announcement.

Anyway, without further ado:

:loud_sound: Vocab TTS audio added

We’ve added AI-generated TTS (text-to-speech) audio for all JLPT, A-list and E-list Vocab.

This means that when you are doing Translate-type reviews, you will get the audio for the individual Vocab items now.

This audio is also available in the same place as Pitch Accent on the individual Vocab pages.

vocab-tts-1

:hear_no_evil: Hide TTS Audio

In the same vein as us adding more TTS audio, we have also implemented this long requested feature.

You can now turn off TTS audio, which will hide it from wherever it would usually display.

This setting is called Hide TTS Audio, and can be found under Content Display on the General Settings page.

To reiterate, as the warning under the setting mentions, TTS Only applies to Vocab. Grammar sentences contain no TTS audio.

:crocodile::crab: Daily Wanikani Sync

We have changed how linking your Wanikani account works here. Gone are the days of needing to periodically import the latest changes!

You now have the option to turn on “Daily Sync” which will get the latest changes with your api key.

We have additionally added a “Mark as Mastered” setting. If this is turned on, when you use the “Import once now” button or toggle on the daily sync, any imported vocab from Wanikani will be marked as mastered, otherwise it will import it for additional practice.

:bar_chart: Vocab JLPT Progress

Another relatively common feature request we get is the addition of JLPT Progress bar support for Vocab items.

As part of our mission to increase the parity of feature support for Vocab and Grammar, this upgrade has been added to the Dashboard, in the same location as before.

So you won’t have to toggle through them each time, your last state will be preserved between sessions when toggling through the Grammar/Vocab/Mixed types.

:mag_right: New Search page

We’ve also added a new Search page, that replaces the old Vocab Search page (/vocabs).

This allows us to link a shared, unified Search page wherever the magnifying-glass icon buttons exist.

search-2

This is actually a stop-gap feature, of which we will drastically build upon in a future update.

The added features for this stopgap though, are as follows:

• Results count and a better grid display
  • Filtering and sorting the results of the Search
    • Tip: Filter by Grammar-only to greatly increase Grammar-only search speeds
    • Sort by Relevance, JLPT and SRS levels
  • Storing and loading query params in the URL bar
    • E.g. /search?query=ですが
    • This is great for advanced users that have search integration tools that work based on URL queries
  • Fuzzy searching for English
  • More comprehensive searches when searching in both English or Japanese

:pushpin: Hide “Latest Community Discussions”

For those that find the Latest Community Discussions section on the Dashboard just too tantalizing when trying to study… :lollipop:

We have added a setting called Hide Community Discussions.
It can be found under the Dashboard section on the General Settings page.

:memo: Notes Updates

Notes has been moved to the sidebar

As many of you may have noticed, Notes has been moved to the sidebar.

It will stick to the sidebar as you scroll down the Vocab/Grammar page, allowing you to take Notes while viewing the content :brain:

Auto-sync

Notes will automatically be saved as you edit them.
The state of the automatic saving being displayed by the cloud icon in the top right of the Note

Expanded Notes Editor

Next to the cloud icon, is another new addition.

Clicking it will expand the Note editor to fill up half of your screen, for those lengthier Notes.

Anyway, that’s it for this Quality of Life™️ update!

We hope you enjoy the new features, and, as always, if you notice anything bugged or sub-optimal, please leave us a reply below and we’ll look into it ASAP.

Have a great day and happy studying!

The Bunpro Team :bunprogold:

81 Likes

My life is now a lot higher quality, thanks Bunpro :blush:

16 Likes

wow, that’s huge!!! 完璧だよ

5 Likes

Thank you for all this!

5 Likes

Some really nice changes! Thanks devs. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Loving the improved search and the combined grammar & vocab progess bars

5 Likes

All the little quality of life changes do add up! The attention to detail really shows how much you guys care about the work you’re doing.

5 Likes

Wanted to try to adjust WK sync settings, but now just getting message “API Key is invalid, please try again” - tried searching for this issue but not seeing anything. :confused:

3 Likes

The daily WK sync is going to change my life. Thank you.

4 Likes

Thanks for the vocab progress bars! I went to the main page this morning and was like, “What does this new button do?” This is great!

4 Likes

Thank you for the update! I wouldn’t have realized about the grammar/vocab switch or daily WK sync otherwise!

3 Likes

Great features! Thank you!

Btw y’all, DON’T “master” what you’ve “learned” in WaniKani, worst mistake of my life :skull: It would also be nice to be able to set SRS levels directly on search page without going to the vocab page

3 Likes

Love the update! Especially the daily sync for WaniKani!

One bit of feedback about the “Update” button:
I was quite confused when I logged in today to do a WaniKani sync and didn’t see the old sync buttons. I went looking for where they might have moved, or to see if there were replacement settings, but it wasn’t until I happened upon this post that I finally realized that the “Update” button doesn’t just mean “Update the API Key” (which the button is directly next to) but instead means “Update WaniKani Sync Settings (by opening a Dialog Box)”.

Still, I’ll probably never have to look for those settings again, so it’s really just a one-time inconvenience. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Love the updates! :partying_face:

I have two small questions/requests:

1. Would it be possible to confirm the total number of vocab words per JLPT deck? In the new update, it’s showing 2000 and 3000 words for N2 and N1, however on the Decks page it shows 1998 and 2974. Not sure which total is correct.

2. If possible, I’d like to request that clicking on an item from the new Search page will open it in a new tab, similar to how it used to in the old Search. I’m not sure how others work, but I often find myself doing a search for a specific kanji or simple word, and then adding related vocab/phrases/compound words. Since in the old system, clicking on a word used to open it in a new tab automatically, I can’t count how many times I’ve accidentally clicked on a word in the new Search and then had to backspace to go back to the search results, then right-click > Open in New Tab.

Otherwise, everything is looking great! Thanks for the update :relaxed:

4 Likes

Thank you :pray:
Will the A-list and E-list vocab have example sentences at some point?

1 Like

Great effort! This makes a difference - and thanks.

2 Likes

Will the A-list and E-list vocab have example sentences at some point?

Yes!

1 Like
  1. Good point. Discussed internally and we’re gonna switch to using Decks to calculate JLPT progress.
  2. Hmmm will wait and see if more people complain – it’s a UX thing, and opinions differ.
    • Having everything open in a new tab just leads to heaps of opened tabs, especially on mobile.
    • Whereas if you don’t open them in a new tab, you can still Ctrl + Click to do the same thing!
2 Likes

Btw y’all, DON’T “master” what you’ve “learned” in WaniKani, worst mistake of my life :skull:

Got a sudden huge burst of XP or something?

It would also be nice to be able to set SRS levels directly on search page without going to the vocab page

A potential candidate for the Search page in its Final Form

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the suggestion.

We’re gonna update the wording to be less confusing!

1 Like