と Quotation - Grammar Discussion

Quotation

Structure

• Quote + + Verb

View on Bunpro

I’m confused by the hint text for these. For example the prompt is “said [polite quotation]”, but the correct answer is

「晩ごはんを作った」 と言った

How is 言った polite? It looks plain/casual to me. I would have thought the correct answer for “polite quotation” would be

「晩ごはんを作った」 と言ました

Looking forward to finding out what I’m missing :slight_smile:

*言いました

I think what they probably meant is that you should answer with と instead of って, which is a colloquial version of と. You could replace と言った with って言った or even just って.

“Polite” is definitely misleading though, so hopefully they can clear it up.

@seanblue @d11

I have changed the hint to “[quotation marker]”, but I am not sure if it is not too much of a hint.

What are your opinions as users?

Would it be grammatically accurate to allow と言ました as an alternate answer?

Yes, the difference will be only in level on politeness.

By the way, it is already allowed :grin:

Huh, I thought I tried it and failed, leading me here. I must have got something else wrong, oh well!

As for [quotation marker] vs. [polite quotation], they seem pretty similar levels of hints to me, so I am happy with the change.

1 Like

@d11 Based on your kanji usage here, you may have failed because you typed といました instead of といいました.

@mrnoone Similar to the other particle discussion we had last week, I would minimize what is said. I think it’s better to try a couple times and getting warnings than to have the answer given away. In this case I think saying “quotation marker” is fine, but is it necessary to say anything given that the English has text in quotes?

P.S. I think the English translations for all the sentences should use double quote, not single quote (at least this is the standard in American English).

2 Likes

I thought about it too, maybe “quotation” alone or nothing since quotes are already there. :thinking:

1 Like

Maybe if you also makes the quotes in the English yellow it will be obvious without putting anything else.

1 Like
screenshots

17%20PM

12%20PM

It’s nice that the orange hints show up and it doesn’t mark what you’re saying as wrong, but it’s still a bit confusing. Maybe it would be better to reverse the hint text from [casual・quotation marker] to [quotation marker・casual] or even [casual verb]. Or even just remove the [casual] hint and just accept the polite form of the verb, like other answers seem to do?

1 Like

Hey :grinning:

Great suggestion!
I changed hint to "casual verb/polite verb・quotation marker], so it should be a bit more clear now.
What is your opinion?

「綺麗じゃなかった」とかれは言いました。
He said, ‘It wasn’t beautiful.’

This alternate grammar option ↑ has the topic placed after the quotation marker. My question being, is this common and are there any rules about where the topic can be placed in a sentence?

@deltacat3

The rule is that there are no rules (mostly)! As long as a word has a particle attached to it to define its function, it can pretty much be placed anywhere in the sentence without changing the meaning of the sentence. Tae Kim has a great post about this that will give you a much better idea of how Japanese sentences are constructed and how flexible they can be. Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you! @Pushindawood

That article has left me feeling like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders!

A little question about this example:

[regular quotation + polite verb]
子供が「野菜が好きです」と言いました。[言う]
The child said, ‘I like vegetables’.

The alternate answer is と言っていました

What is the difference between using the past tense and て+ past tense form here?

Thanks (and sorry for bump)!

hi there!
what’s the と in this example sentence? it doesn’t seem to be acting as a quotation marker, it’s driving me mental :smiley:
毎日ゴルフの練習をしたらだんだん上手くなっていく

the と here is paired with the adverb use of onomatopoeia だんだん. It often follows them, so if you look at examples of others you’ll get the hang of when to use it :partying_face:

1 Like

I see I guess it can be omitted in casual speech, I’ll look up more examples, thanks!

1 Like

Hi,

i’d like to know what the と actually does in these example sentences.

あれ は ねこだ と おもう。

ふじさんはきれいだ と おもう?

What kind of quotation is that?