Reviews 2.0 is coming out of Beta! (Soon)

It would be really useful and save a lot of time writing synonyms in manually if all vocab which includes “or” (there are a lot of these!) can be accepted whichever order you write it in, i.e. “A or B” is marked as correct and “B or A” is also marked as correct.

For example:

2 Likes

Done! (And yep, I’m a web developer too)

Gotta say, it’s the last possible result I would have expected though.

First I hit space in Alphanumeric mode, then again in Hiragana mode:

We got the string Process… Huh? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I ran some additional tests and found that e.code is Space, and even weirder e.keyCode is 229! And every single JavaScript keycode list I can find online stops at 222. :upside_down_face:

After researching even further, I found a reference to the “PROCESS KEY” in some of Microsoft’s docs, as well as in this stackoverflow post.

Given that the spacebar in Windows’ IME is used both for generating spaces and for converting your input into the correct format (be that kanji, katakana, or some combination) I guess that key gets its own keycode?

Huh…

And if you're curious here's what Bing (née ChatGPT) had to say on the subject.

Here is its primary reference, fwiw.

2 Likes

Ah, forgot to respond to these:

Shift + Space gives the same result in all cases.

And yeah, totally makes sense that you’d auto-focus the text box after a hint toggle - it’s a good feature! (For what it’s worth, I wasn’t calling the feature weird, just the fact that we were getting different results when the box was unfocued! :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Yeah very good point. There are still going to be a lot of these out there unfortunately.
I don’t want to do this with code given the amount of exceptions there probably are.

The best thing you can do is submit a Report and ask for more to be added as accepted-answers.
We’ve been keeping up with the feedback recently so your request should be answered relatively soon.

Thanks again for all the research!
That saves me a looot of time. I’ll try add Process to the list of keys.
Gonna post another update really soon.

Pre-release Review changes #5.1

Some more minor bug fixes before release

Fixes

• Add an alert in the Review Type Menu to alert if there is no Fill-in (Cloze) question data available for a Vocab
    • We currently only have Fill-in questions for N5 and N3
    • Currently, for Vocab without data, trying to change to Fill-in will just revert it back to the Translate type, which is a confusing interaction
    • @UncleApee and I’m sure a bunch of other users reported this problem
    • The Deck Setting menu works the same as before. No changes there
  • Added the ‘Finish Session?’ modal before directly wrapping-up/quitting the Quiz
    • To stop users that accidentally hit the 0 hotkey being suddenly wrapped-up/quit on, we added an intermediary ‘Finish Session?’ modal
    • The relevant button will displayed first (Wrap up if can wrap up / Finish Session if can’t wrap up)
    • This first relevant button is focused, so hitting Enter will activate it
    • Hitting the 0 hotkey will also activate it
    • Hopefully this helps with any accidental hotkeying. Let us know if it feels weird @HotAirGun @ahewgill
  • Fix a bug where the answer for the next Vocab question would show for an instant during wrap-up
  • Allow Spacebar to be accepted as the Hint hotkey in Japanese Microsoft IME mode
6 Likes

So a while back, it was stated that reading style (like in cram) would become available for grammar reviews. Is there a timeline on that?

1 Like

If I recall correctly how the last conversation about that went, we are not going to SRS test on Grammar Reading.

However, eventually we are going to move Cram over to the new Reviews 2.0 system.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

I was referring to what was mentioned here and then here. When did that change, and why?

We already have implemented the Anki style for Grammar, if that’s what you’re referring to?
Looks like this:

Screenshots

It can be activated at the bottom of the Grammar Point page, much like with Vocab!
It’s sliiightly different to the Reading practice style in Cram, so not sure if it’s what you’re after

1 Like

Thanks. I think I can use that essentially the way I want it to.
Is there a way to batch change points to work like that? Going one by one would take an unreasonably long time.

1 Like

Very true.
The Review-Type option in the Deck settings should ideally work for Grammar Points too, but for some reason it’s seemingly not.
Will check with one of the other devs and see what we can do

1 Like

Sorry for the super late reply, and welcome to the forums!

The display of characters like ěščřžýáíé is still broken in the notes while doing reviews.

I’ve figured out the reason for this. The font we use (Noto Sans Japanese) doesn’t actually support many of the characters you mentioned in your comment.
For performance reasons (Japanese Noto Sans alone is already 4mb in size) I’d be hesitant to change fonts just for this use-case.

But, if you’re comfortable doing a bit of browser fandanglery (specifically, adding CSS to the page using a script-injector browser plugin), I can show you how to fix this issue.
Send me a DM if you’re interested in learning how!

Gonna tag all relevant users that liked your post here just in case:
@HotAirGun @Sidgr @DonUnko

Hello,

I like the new interface but I don’t understand one thing: if I want to use the keyboard shortcuts to scroll down to the grammar explanation, I press «f» to show the grammar info. If I want to back to the review sentence I click «i». So far so good. However if I click «f» to show the grammar info and I want to scroll down, I am forced to use the mouse. How can I scroll down a screen without using the mouse? Even the arrows and the page down/up button don’t work.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the feedback.
Weird… pressing F or I or any combo always leaves the arrow keys available to me for scrolling :thinking:
What browser/OS are you using?

I’m using the Firefox version 113.0.2 (64-bit) on Windows 10.

1 Like

Sorry to bring it up again, but isn’t there a way to code accepting answers which don’t include the part in brackets (parentheses)?

There are just so many vocab which include brackets that it takes ages writing in synonyms for them.

Example of what I’m talking about:

2 Likes

I’ll have a check with the other devs and see what we can do!
In the meantime feedback will have to suffice I’m afraid :confused:

I’m gonna lock this thread now. Feel free to post more feedback on the Release thread!

EDIT: Just got the word back on this. We’re gonna leave it as a Content issue, which unfortunately means you’ll have to create a report about the question for one of the Content team members to fix.

2 Likes

This thread has been closed.

Discussion has moved to this thread.

1 Like