Reviews 2.0 is coming out of Beta! (Soon)

Hey I wanted to point out weird visual bug with the first characters in a given text box I guess. I am not 100 percent sure how you do it under the hood. You can see that the 日 in 暇 and the bottom loop of the g are being cropped and not rendering correctly.

CleanShot 2023-05-14 at 16.28.15

@veritas_nz Could you please remove this new shortcut on the 0 key? Sometimes I press it instead of - in a rush, and there’s no way to cancel session wrap up that it causes! It’s such a pain.
Also there’s vocab like 1960年代. Doesn’t reviewing it interfere with this shortcut?
Maybe Esc key could be a suitable choice for this action?

Also please check is everything ok with SRS level of reviews left from forced quit sessions. If I give an incorrect answer for a review item, then force quit the current session and start a new one, and give correct answer for the item, its SRS level increases, at least in UI. I feel like this might be a bug.

3 Likes

Maybe this is too much of a nitpick, but in the review wrap up screen “お疲れ様です!” is translated as “Good Effort!”, which to me sounds a slight bit condescending and like the reviewer did something wrong, even though it’s probably not meant that way :stuck_out_tongue:
Maybe “Good Job!” is a nicer phrasing.

3 Likes

Came across a minor bug today.

If my Windows IME is in Hiragana mode, the spacebar does not work to cycle through the hints.

(It works just fine in Alphanumeric mode, but I prefer to always type directly in Hiragana for a consistent experience across all the platforms I use, rather than relying on the platform-specific IME.)

3 Likes

I have seen this also. If you refresh the cram summary page the “1 remaining” will go away so it appears to be a delay in registering the last crammed item before rending the summary page.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming that, I was starting to wonder if I was the only one with that issues. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

So I’ve noticed a slight issue (at least in my eyes). I’ve been using 2.0 Reviews for a couple of weeks and I normally like to keep track of how many reviews I’ve done. Because I will look at my review pile and say “lets crack out 20 of them and take a break” or something simular. But it always seemed like the review counter that is given in the top right hand corner of the reviews in off. So I looked at it and gave it a quick review to check. It is off by 1. The review counter starts at 0 even though I am starting at 1. Picture is related.

It shows 0/0 on the top half of the picture, but if you ask me it should say 0/1. Because I’ve finished 0 and I’ve been given 1.
The bottom half shows what happens when I give a correct answer, it is not updated. It should say 1/1 because I’ve been given 1 and finished 1.
The numbers don’t update until you go to the next review. And I understand that computers start counting at 0 instead of 1 but I’m not a computer.
This also happens if you get it wrong but I think that was obvious.

BUT when I went to click the button that you have to click to get the wrap up prompt, it simply exited the review. It did NOT give me the option to do a wrap up, it simply took me to the wrap up. The wrap up said I got 0 out of 1 correct, which is right but, so the site does register that I did a review on that point. I personally think you shouldn’t need to go to a review in order to get the review you just did to be eligible for wrap up. So that would be another reason that the review amounts always seem off to me.

Obviously neither of these things are really huge deal breakers but uhh…I think it might not be a terrible idea for someone to eyeball the magic code that makes this part of the site work.

2 Likes

Finally trying the new reviews again and it feels a lot more polished and usable than the first time I tried it, much better now! I would like the ability to toggle furigana off with the keyboard though, I love the new furigana hover menu, but it’s a bit tedious to have to use the mouse so much when I go through new words to mark away the furigana (sometimes I do it after 1-3 repetitions if it’s a reading I am okay with)

Really odd things happen with this asynchronous sending answers to the server.
Just failed the last item in a review session, then it immediately shown for reviewing again (that’s ok), but in the session summary this item shows as correct.
But then the summary suddenly refreshes with new data, and it shows one incorrect item for the vocab I failed. But the sentence is wrong, there wasn’t such sentence in the last session!

And in the next review session I get this vocab again with another sentence, and this isn’t a ghost.
I don’t really understand how it works.

I am also experiencing this pretty much every vocab study session. It is extremely annoying!

Please change the shortcut from the “0 key” to something else not so close to the dash key. Typing katakana inevitably causes this for those of us that are a bit ham fisted on the keyboard.

2 Likes

Any chances slightly increasing font size, e.g to .7rem from .625? It feels to me strong eyes are required now :sweat_smile:

I’ve changed the color of the underline for the technical term info!
Hopefully this should help the situation~
Will be out in the next release

Could you please remove this new shortcut on the 0 key?

Also there’s vocab like 1960年代. Doesn’t reviewing it interfere with this shortcut?

Gonna tag @ahewgill here too.

Translate questions with Manual Input answers have the number shortcuts blocked, so no, zero doesn’t interfere with it!

Currently the Escape hotkey is reserved for closing the alternates / audio-player.
I’ll see if changing it breaks anything else.

Also please check is everything ok with SRS level of reviews left from forced quit sessions. If I give an incorrect answer for a review item, then force quit the current session and start a new one, and give correct answer for the item, its SRS level increases, at least in UI. I feel like this might be a bug.

This is indeed likely a bug.
I’ll see what I can do to get it fixed

1 Like

↓ Hopefully this will clarify some confusion!

The left number is correct submissions, and the right number is total submissions.
Until you go to the next question, you have not made a submission.

If you properly exit/wrap-up Reviews (e.g. not just closing the tab), and you are still in the post-attempt screen (question is colored red/green), it will count that as making a submission, and make the necessary DB changes.

In the old system

In the old system, all the DB updates were made before you went to the next question.
Undoing the submission would also make a DB update.
This was a bit too complicated so we did away with all these network requests in the new system.

BUT when I went to click the button that you have to click to get the wrap up prompt, it simply exited the review.

This is a bug I believe. I’ll add the logic to fix this (and check if the system-state is post-attempt and incorrect)

It did NOT give me the option to do a wrap up, it simply took me to the wrap up. The wrap up said I got 0 out of 1 correct

The 2nd and 3rd instances of wrap-up I assume you meant Summary?
In which case you’d be correct. It properly registers that submission, due to what I said about about what happens if you properly exit/wrap-up Reviews and are still in the post-attempt screen.

Lemme know if this clarifies things.
It shouldn’t be this complicated, but because we’re trying to reduce the amount of network requests and complicated logic that introduces, ^this is currently how it be.

I can change this for you :wink:
Will be updated in the next update

Hi there,

Sorry for the super late reply – just got back from a long holiday.
We’re currently looking into ways to handle this gracefully until we have Cloze questions for all Vocab.

Thanks,
Sean

1 Like

I understand the concept of that, but wouldn’t it just be better for the right hand number to be number given? That way the number one the right doesn’t lag behind.
I understand this may be different from the current system as right now the right hand number also rises while doing wrap up, but what is the usefulness of that? During the summary what is given is the total amounts done not the attempts done.
numbers disagree
In this picture I took one review, inserted an incorrect answer. Forwarded to the next review then asked for a wrap up, where I inserted the wrong answer a few more times. It says 0/4 because before I move forward that was how many attempts I got right and how many attempts I tried. So it looks like I got 0 correct out of 4 different questions. But in the summary you can see I only did one point.

So, what I’m trying to say here is, in my opinion only, it would be better for the number on the right to be number given not number submitted. But that really isn’t that huge it’s kind of flip a coin because I do understand the reason number submitted is good.
BUT that being said, the amount not updating until a new point given is an annoyance because it makes it annoying to self regulate how many reviews I’m doing, which in itself isn’t a huge deal.

Yes that is correct, I should have said summary for those.

If it isn’t considered a submission until I go to the next question this shouldn’t show anything in summary. I opened review. Did one question, and finished the session without going to the next question. So I am going to assume that finishing a session also counts as making a submission which makes sense but doesn’t help with the X/Y

P.S. It is kind of funny that I am still told “Good Job” after submitting a 0% review correct session.

1 Like

So, what I’m trying to say here is, in my opinion only, it would be better for the number on the right to be number given not number submitted.

I think you’re right. Those numbers should not increment during wrap-up.
If they don’t increment during wrap-up, then they act as the correctness ratio for the current session, which isn’t actually displayed until the Summary.
I’ll also add this to the next update.

So I am going to assume that finishing a session also counts as making a submission which makes sense but doesn’t help with the X/Y

Yes, properly exiting the session will submit the question – this was implemented to avoid confusion, but makes explaining things here a lot more confusing in retrospect :sweat_smile:

Yes that is correct, I should have said summary for those.

This bug you mentioned where it jumps straight to the Summary has been fixed!
Silently pushed an update last night. Will make a post with it included soon.

1 Like

@HotAirGun

Taking too long might be a server issue.
We might have to introduce some type of better caching system or something.

The hanging forever shouldn’t happen… it should come up with an error if it fails/times out.
That one might be a logic error.

How have you guys found the experience recently?
Can you shed any more light on what happens/how often etc.?

Pre-release Review changes #5.0

Went on a 2-week holiday (again), but now I’m back!
Here are the latest fixes in response to all of your feedback.

Features

• Added a full-page loading spinner on page load
    • This is to help with link-previews & SEO whilst maintaining jank-less loads
  • Additions to the Profile dropdown in the navbar
    • Added detailed XP info
    • Added the “New!” unread feedback notification
    • @HotAirGun
  • Updated the progress-counter (the numbers in the top right that look like 23/41)
    • These numbers will no longer be incremented during wrap-up, which will make them more accurately reflect the correct/incorrect ratio seen on the Summary page
    • @Superpnut

Fixes

• Listen for changes to system’s preferred color scheme (light/dark mode), and update the theme accordingly if there are changes
  • Always show SRS after user has attempted an answer, even if set to hidden
  • Hide the scroll-to-top button when the user gets to the bottom of the page, as it covers the language menu button
  • Fixed issue with 404 page SVG loading with the incorrect color
  • I’ve added full-width Space as an alternate for the Space hotkey
    • Hopefully this fixes your issue @Talos!
  • Properly handle a situation where if the user was on the last question, post-attempt, and incorrect, it would exit straight away and not take the user to the wrap-up stage
  • Preload audio for better load times

Until next time!

4 Likes

Just to let you know that now, when doing vocab reviews, I’m seeing the answers flash up on screen for just a moment before they disappear and then I attempt the question.

This makes questions much easier because it’s pretty hard not to look at the answers, even though they only appear momentarily when starting each question! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This is also happening for me, but only during the wrap up

2 Likes