Reviews 2.0 Released!

Congrats to you and @veritas_nz (and anyone else in the background I’m not aware of) on this major functional release. It’s huge! Deserves a big pat on your backs for the steady progress all the way to release-completion!

Thanks all-around to the whole BunPro team, and also thanks to all the beta-testers and folks providing feedback and constructive criticism. It’s collaboration like this, between developers and users/customers, that produces world-class software that’s of great value to everyone!

5 Likes

oohhh, I really like the dots noting how many alternate answers there are

6 Likes

I just tested this and it should be working okay now. Mind letting me know if you still see the “Loading Reviews” please?

3 Likes

Confirmed it is working now!
Thank you!

4 Likes

Love the new look! Transitions are smooth, its not distracting from the content, everything about it is nicer to use. Great job dev team

7 Likes

A slight problem I have- i want to learn vocab on manual mode, but it’s always on cloze(while learning, reviewing is fine), is there a new place to adjust that setting?
It’s under manual in the deck but keeps reverting back to cloze while learning. I was on beta before and there wasn’t this problem- maybe because I’m still on beta?

3 Likes

Not a big issue, but now while reviews are loading, there is a bar at the top of the page which implies you aren’t logged in:

This then briefly changes to the logged-in version just before the reviews finish loading.

5 Likes

I noticed the other thing that got released with this update :wink:.

2 Likes

Cool bananas guys. It coincided with my reaching 1000 day study streak!

The WTF-is-this moment passed super quickly. As pain free as transitions get!

6 Likes

I hardly ever post on the bunpro forums but I had to come and say a huge thank for this update!!!

Everything looks so clean and minimal and its all so easy to understand.

This update is brilliant! I already loved your service and with every change you make I love it all the more!

Thanks for the great work and awesome service :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I certainly did not expect this change, but wow… It looks absolutely amazing!
Personally, I’m not a fan of the default red colour scheme because red always indicates some error/mistake in my mind, but when I switch back to blue, it’s all great.

I’d just like to point out that currently, the “[…] per Day” sections in My Profile > Stats appear to be broken, and the grids are not displayed at all.

I’m also used to using the My Profile page as the de facto home page after finishing reviews (because clicking the Review button when there are no reviews used to send me to My Profile). That’s no longer the case, and I feel like it’s a bit of a shame. Arguably, it’s possible to see all the information on the Dashboard page, which is basically the home page, so I guess I’ll have to re-train my habits and get used to it instead.

Overall, the new review design is beautiful. Didn’t try on mobile yet, but I sure hope it will improve the experience, which used to be a bit iffy in the past for me.

3 Likes

Loving the new UI. Especially the screen at the end showing the summary. If only wanikani would wake up and evolve as well :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi there! Is the Deck you’re studying from your Main Deck?
If it is your Main Deck or you are studying using the “Learn” button inside the card page itself, this shouldn’t happen!

Just let us know and we’ll got into it.

Regardless this process is confusing, and we’re looking into how we can make it better

2 Likes

Yeah it is my main deck, and through the learn button.
(sidenote: lets go kiwis, on exchange so not living in nz right now but i was happy to see the nz after your name haha)

Edit: tried it by going through the deck section and it had the same result, then tried removing it from being the main deck with same results

2 Likes

Yeah this is a byproduct of switching to the new system.
Will become less and less noticeable as more pages get switched

Technical Reason

Switching from a regular framework to a SPA while also trying to maintain the SEO for each page meant that the page initially gets rendered in the guest state before switching to the logged in state.

I’ll see if there is anything I can do about it.

2 Likes

The Deck system is super confusing at the moment in terms of Review types.
I need to bump the urgency of getting this all sorted, because you’re not the first person that has mentioned it.

If you click the “Switch All Reviews to Manual Input” button in the Deck Settings and go to Learn again, do you get the same error?

And yeah Kiwis unite! There are only ~5-odd million of us but got-damn we represent :joy: :kiwi_fruit:

2 Likes

If you have the setting Settings > General > Start Page set to “Profile”, then clicking the Bunpro logo in the top left should take you to the Profiles page too!

I’d just like to point out that currently, the “[…] per Day” sections in My Profile > Stats appear to be broken, and the grids are not displayed at all.

Are you able to send a screenshot? We can look into this for you!

1 Like

The new system looks good so far, but I have some minor issues now:

Somehow the list of words where I activated furigana reset with the new 2.0 release, I get furigana on every word now and I have to disable it for every single one I already know.

Also the screen scrolls down when I tap on the 答え bar, causing the sentence to be hidden. Not every time though. The screen height and with restrictions solved the problem on my tablet but these options are not available on iPhone?

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback!

Somehow the list of words where I activated furigana reset with the new 2.0 release, I get furigana on every word now and I have to disable it for every single one I already know.

What is your Furigana setting set to?

Also the screen scrolls down when I tap on the 答え bar, causing the sentence to be hidden. Not every time though.

I know why this is happening, but unfortunately there’s nothing I can do about it right now.
Essentially, because you’re forcing focus on the input field, your browser says “hey, you’re gonna type something, better but the input field higher up on the screen” and the scrolls so the field is higher up, even though we want it to be fixed all the time.
I unfortunately can’t change this default browser behaviour (trust me, we tried).

What we’ve done instead, is try force the screen to scroll back up when you focus the input, so that while you type, both question and input are in view.
Sometimes you have to tap the input twice to force this behaviour, which is a bit awkward, but there is always the mobile app to fall back on for the mobile experience!

The screen height and with restrictions solved the problem on my tablet but these options are not available on iPhone?

This is on purpose for tiny devices (phones etc.).
To get the interaction I explained above to work smoothly, we force the screen to be fixed-height.

Anyway, hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any thoughts/suggestions.

2 Likes

But I have kinda big one (it feels uncomfortable to have it in my pocket actually) with 1080×2340 resolution and 360px width viewport with 3x pixel ratio. It have some rendering issues and as @veritas_nz said to me these won’t be fixed because minimal supported viewport is 375px.
So it’s a false advertising here :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like