Study Buddy System

What is your Bunpro level?

If you’ve taken real/practice JLPT tests, what’s a good estimate for your level?
N/A

Do you enjoy watching Japanese media? If so, what type?
Yes

Type: Mostly anime

Do you enjoy reading Japanese media? If so, what type?
Yes

Type: Currently starting to read manga, but would like to branch out to novels one day.

Would you only like to match with users of your same skill-level?
Nope, anyone is fine.

If you are a user of WaniKani, what level are you currently at?
Level 11 and it’s killing me

What are you truly looking for in a partner?

All of the above I’d just like to have someone to chat with about the process what we’re going though while learning. Maybe share resources with each other and ask questions.

Your time zone and availability (morning, afternoon, evening)
EST. I’m usually available throughout most of the day. More so in the morning and afternoon, but not as often in the evening.

7 Likes

If you’ve taken real/practice JLPT tests, what’s a good estimate for your level?

I passed the N3, but will be taking N2 this December

Yes, watch all types of Anime. From Slice to life to shonen. 
I occasionally watch news for some real world listening practice.

Yes, I like to read Manga, Light Novels, and Regular Novels.

No

60, but these days I don't really use WaniKani

Someone to primarily study with
Someone to primarily watch Japanese content with
Someone to take practice tests with
Someone to primarily cheer and encourage them
***All of the above*** Any type of partner is fine really

Tokyo Japan, and I am currently most available in the evening time.
7 Likes

• 40 - 50 (At the time of this post 48)

• N3

• Yes, Anime, Vtuber, Games, …

• Yes, Manga, Light Novels …

• either is fine

• 30 - 40 (currently 34)

• Someone to primarily study with
  • Someone to primarily watch Japanese content with
  • Someone to primarily cheer and encourage them
  • Everything would be fine

I am a student, so I am very flexible on that part (though my timezone is UTC+1 (Germany))
Most of the time I am potentially available from morning to late at night.

Preferred communication

• Discord, thats what I am using all the time.
6 Likes

• 0 - 10 (I know the Genki I grammar well, but the rest is here and there, so I reset a while ago to solidify my foundation)

Took none; I would estimate myself around N4.5/N4

Yes, anime mostly, I do not really watch drama/series in general but that is mainly because I prioritise other stuff. For some, I take the time, e.g. Witcher ^^.
I game mostly, though, and one major motivator for learning Japanese is me wanting to experience games such as Danganronpa, 13 Sentinels, Kiseki, Utawarerumono etc. in their original language.

Yes, manga mainly, but I like reading in general, mostly Fantasy (and SF) - I definitely want to become able to read light and heavy novels in Japanese.
Technically, gaming is watching and reading and listening, so the above applies here too :D.

Either is fine.

I was level 27 at Wanikani some years ago (hell if I remember it all) and am now learning with KKLC.

I have no real acquaintance who is into learning Japanese or a language in general, so I am deprived of anyone who I can talk to about language learning and the hardships and fun of it. I mainly would like to have a buddy to share progress with, encourage each other, and gosh about the madness and beauty that is the Japanese language.

Caveat: Learning Japanese is a hobby of mine, but not the primary thing I do.
Depending on how hectic life is and what I prio, I could go weeks (months?!) without really progressing in Japanese, which is fine for me, but might not be for a buddy. In such times I would still be open to (async) talk and check in on each other etc. of course, I am still there, however, that means I might not be necessary a good buddy for someone who takes Japanese learning real serious (nothing wrong with that!) and wants to progress (together) on a steady pace.
My ‘normal’ pace is also rather slow.

I prefer async communication (PMs, Matrix, Discord…) anyway, so it should not matter that much.
I would be open for study-sessions later down the road, depending on how it goes, for that something around UTC would be best.

7 Likes

*20 - 40 I’ve only really completely N5 along with some other grammar points on different sites.

Probably N5, I did a mock test once? Since I haven’t really been studying with the JLPT tests in mind I know vocab and grammar from multiple different levels, not to say that I have a wide stash of vocab however.

I’ve only really watched Anime, but I’m interested in dramas, movies ect, I just don’t know what there is to watch I guess.

Yes, I read NHK news easy in japanese, as well as a couple of mangas in majorly english (although I’m working on vocab to read in japanese). I’ve read some translated novels but yeah a goal is to read in japanese. I’m a big fantasy and sci-fi fan so any recommendations are welcomed.

No, I’m happy to match with whoever. I’m a very casual learner, and since I’m studying by myself I do think I have basic gaps in my knowledge.

• 10 - 20 I’ve had it for over a year but I’m a very slow studier.

• All of the above
    I just want someone to be enthusiastic with, I don’t really have a practice partner at the moment and I’ve been a pretty self-focused learner. I want more experience communicating and having to test myself that I really understand what’s being said/written, also I want to get to know more people overseas.

AEST, I’m mostly available in the late afternoon. I have discord but I’m not really comfortable with voice chatting.

7 Likes

if you want to settle things you can add on discord : Benjcachou 「ベンジャミン」#0268
I am not that advanced. Around mid N5 in Bunpro and level 2 in WaniKani but I study everyday. If your interested to study together or try to speak a little just add me. I am soon starting to read Manga as well and I am already watching anime without English subtitle.

7 Likes

40 - 60

I’ve not taken any tests, but probably around N4.

I used to watch a lot of anime, though recently I haven’t watched much at all.

Same answer as above – used to read quite a lot, but not so much anymore. I’ve been looking for stuff to read though, but haven’t really found anything that has hit the spot of being fun to read and also around my Japanese level.

Roughly the same level would be preferred, but it’s not too important.

20 - 30

When studying I run into stuff that I don’t quite understand all the time, and it would be nice to have someone to discuss/research these things with. I’d also be happy to read something together.

CET evenings

6 Likes

10-20
Was 32 reset 2 weeks ago after a few months off. Level not reflective of being able to speak coherently  ^^

If i’ve taken real/practice JLPT tests, what’s a good estimate for your level?
Haven’t taken JLPT i’m around N4.

Certainly, anime and drama are both constants. I enjoy all genres, except for dark/negative story-lines.

Occasionally, i’ll get into a manga or read Todai articles. Todai is my favorite medium for reading because of the efficiency in trying to comprehend new material.

No, I’d like to have at least one person above my level for me to receive accurate corrections from. That said, with someone at my level it may feel more comfortable.

20 - 30
I reset 2 months ago to low 20s. I had gotten sick and fell behind in reviews on both WK and Bunpro.

Someone to primarily watch Japanese content with
Someone to primarily cheer and encourage them"study". The best thing a partner could offer me is an environment to have fun, make mistakes, and interact in Japanese. (I will make many many mistakes WWWW)

Central Standard U.S., afternoon/evenings work best.

edit: Bunpro level was incorrect

7 Likes

0 - 10

No, I haven’t

Anime, Drama, Movies, Youtube, NHK World’s tight (lol) can’t think of others rn.

Manga, News, Novels, Random books

I don’t really have a preference, if there’s good chemistry I don’t think it matters too much the skill level. But if they were much higher, it might be stressful for them, if they don’t mind teaching though I don’t mind learning from them.

Someone to share the frustrations of learning, encouraging each other, and sharing things about the process of growing. Or more like, just things we find out about the language. I love sharing things though, so it would be nice if someone did too, about anything. I’m interested in games, anime, and manga. It would be awesome to play or read those things in Japanese one day. But I also really like old classic novels by authors like Dostoevsky, Natsume Soseki, herman hesse and such. Retro games are p great too… Filmmakers, Bresson, Ozu, Terrence Malick, etc. Idk, I’m spread wide with interests, lmk if yu wanna be study partners, Or dear I say study buddies (embarrassing to say) Btw, my mother is Japanese, but that doesn’t really help me all that much, she doesn’t have the time to teach me. I’ve been studying for like seven years and I hope I can finally pick up the pace. Thank you for reading this far. ^^

PST most days or evenings.
6 Likes

-27 (N5-4)

-N/A

-Mainly just Anime, manga, and VNs

-Any level is fine, as long as growth can be had :slight_smile:

All of the above

-US central time (student so always free)

7 Likes

0 - 10

N5

Yes

• Type: Anime, movies, reality shows

Yes

• Type: Manga, NHK easy news articles, Light Novels. I roughly read through よつばと (using the WaniKani’s book club’s vocab sheet) but really have to review the vocabulary there. Currently trying to read また、同じ夢を見てた

No, all are welcome :slight_smile:

0 - 10

• Provide tips, accountability and motivation over the long run
  • Communicates at least once a week, not once a month, etc.

GMT . Around late afternoon-evening

Preferred mode of communication
WhatsApp, maybe on-site (haven’t learnt how to do so but would be open to it)

5 Likes

Hello there, I am really interested with your post. Just to clarify I am N5 level. I am doing 1 lesson of genki per week. I am at the fourth lesson if you have it. I was wondering if we could get in contact to practice with each other or just to help each other out on knowledge. I read a lot and have my own calendar of study so I am really confident in my progression if you want to contact me via discord this is my discord: ベンジャミンさん#0268 . If you have genki has well we could even do the exercises of the textbook if you want. Anyway have a good day よろしくおねがいします

4 Likes

not planning on taking them, but i guess i could get lucky and pass N3 without any additional studying. also i’m going for 100% text comprehension, so i haven’t touched speaking and i’m not planning on doing so for a while

videogames (vns too) and anime. i also unironically watch raw pokemon to train/track my listening comprehension.

very rarely, manga and novels. usually if they are a part of a videogame franchise or have an anime adaptation that i’ve already seen. also i’ve read all the japanese text of the first 5 touhou games, don’t ask me why

more or less (like n4-n2 level), i guess it would be beneficial for both of us

my only requirement is that my parter consumes native contents, regardless of its level. if he’s reading yotsuba or dies irae it’s good for me, as long as we can exchange our “findings” about “native” japanese, especially the way of saying stuff. for example youtube recently recommended me this cat video, and i think it would be cool to share this expression with somebody else who can appreciate this:

since i will finish all the lesson both here and on wanikani in 1-2 months, i will focus 100% on consuming content (mostly vns at first) and i would like to find more “japanese in the wild” and discuss about it. also having a good taste in videogames/anime/etc is obviously a plus, i’m always open for recommendations

i’m cest+1, but i usually go to sleep very late

3 Likes

Another vn fans I see. I passed N3 last year so maybe we can study together and chat about vn’s or anything.

4 Likes

Just started , Im lvl 6 and using the genki setup, currently doing chapter 4 but on chapter 5 in the textbook.

N/A

Currently I watch seasonal anime with a friend but I have missed a few years so currently catching up on past stuff alone, also trying to find shows etc that I can improve my listening comprehension.

I used to read manga but that was eng trans and I should be reading news but never do. I am thinking about translatIng a manga or something soon though.

That would be nice so we can see the progress together but wholly unnecessary . If you want to be my senpai I welcome it with open arms lol.

Im currently on 15 but thats after multiple restarts highest ever was 28.

A friend first and foremost, a person to share the ups and downs of the language learning process while keeping each other accountable and motivated. Maybe homework as well as possible media viewing parties for lack of a better word.

Im EST afternoon to night 3pm to 2am (15:00 to 02:00) basically and if its a study session or watch party etc a day or so prior notice would be great.

P.S. Discord, Telegram, whatsapp, here whatever form of communication doesnt matter to me.

3 Likes

• Level 28 at the moment. Using BunPro to review N5 and work on my N4.

• N4. Still a long ways to go but I am taking the N4 test this December.

• Yes
  • I typically watch anime just to get a hang on listening and comprehending how native speakers would say things. But I also enjoy them, too.

• Yes
  • I read Japanese news to practice reading, and if there’s a certain anime I just can’t wait for a sequel or the adaptation I read the manga/LN

• I don’t mind. I can learn from anyone and I can help those in the N5-N4 level.

• Level 23.

• I’m looking for someone to study with or have help with speaking/reading and primarily just a big help in learning and reviewing lessons.

• I’m available on weekends as I have work during the weekdays, but anytime will do on Saturdays and Sundays. Add me on Discord, shoot me a pm for my tag.
  • Please let me know that you’re from BunPro so I can add you :slight_smile:
2 Likes

N4-N3-ish (I’ve never taken a test, this is just where I’m at grammatically)

Dramas, live theatre, some (not a lot of) anime, news

Manga, news, novels, really anything

Anyone would be okay!

I don’t use WK anymore, but I’m around 漢検 level 7 in Anki

Any of the above!

I usually study in the mornings to early afternoons (JST) assuming I don’t have a lot of other work to do. Right now in particular, I do not have very much work to do, so I’m flush with time.

Let me know if you wanna collaborate! Yay! Good idea Bunpro guys.

1 Like

40 - 60 (48 now)

I passed the N4 a couple years ago, stopped studying, and now am studying for the N3 though I didn’t register in time for a slot in my city. :sob:

Yes, mostly Anime on Netflix/HBO/etc.

Yes, Manga though I typically read that in English. I’m trying to read NHK easy news more to practice, but am always looking for enjoyable ways to use JP.

Preferably yeah, trying to improve quickly and we would be able to help each other.

N/A

Primarily somebody to study with, especially when it comes to doing practice tests, or challenging our comprehension in written/spoken mediums
But if we want to watch stuff together, I’m also game for that

USA Evenings

3 Likes

51 (Wanikani Linked)

N/A

• Yes - Anime/Streams

Yes - Manga

No

30 - 40

Someone to become more fluent in speech with
Someone to take practice tests with
Someone to primarily cheer and encourage them
All of the above

UK - GMT +1 hour

1 Like

Be my Buddy!

• Level 2!

• Haven’t and don’t plan to until much later around N3/N2 level

• Yes! Any Japanese media is good honestly!

• Yes! Manga is the only thing I’ve really read

• Yes!

• I’m not, I use Anki!

• Someone to take practice tests with
  • All of the above

• Example: EST AM/PM, most anytime is good for me!

edit: deleted original because I accidentally replied to someone else!

2 Likes