Bunpro Grammar Explanations, N3!

Hi Everyone!

Without extending the wait any further, weโ€™d like to officially release our N3 writeups. :partying_face:

This release was delayed from the originally planned 15th of April by several days, so we apologise for that first and foremost. :bowing_man:

:mag_right: Our Focus :mag:

As N3 is the largest level in terms of new structures and the introduction of patterns that will continue to repeat themselves throughout N2 and also N1, we chose to put a bit of extra time into the creation of our entry level explanations. This means that there may occasionally be a few extra example sentences in the writeup itself, or sometimes an extra Fun-fact aimed purely at giving you a better intuition of how a particular structure will/should be used.

Apart from that, as with N5 and N4, we have tried to keep a mix of traditional, along with more literal translations. Particularly on grammar points where more literal translations may be helpful.

:thinking: Did Anything Change? :thinking:

While the writing/formatting style is exactly the same as it has been throughout N5 and N4, we have slightly upped the amount of Japanese expressions used in the writeups again. This is for things like word type, and occasionally purely some Japanese dictionary definitions of grammar structures that actually hit the nail on the head better than their standard English interpretations. Naturally, we did include a direct translation for any Japanese definitions.

For word type (ๅฝขๅฎน่ฉž, ๅŠฉๅ‹•่ฉž, ๅŠฉ่ฉž, etc), this will go hand in hand with blogs that we are aiming to start releasing in the near future. They will be accessible in their own portion of the website, or directly by clicking on them wherever you see them mentioned in other explanations.

:man_teacher: New Learning Order :man_teacher:

As with previous levels, we have rearranged the learning order (please allow a bit of time before this reflects on the website). Themes are fairly similar to what we used in N5 and N4, with a bit of extra focus on phrases that are similar, are useful to learn together, or will be used in the same situations. (Please click each lesson tile for a full look at the new lineup)

Lesson 1 (Possibilities and Timeframes)

ใฐใ„ใ„ใ€ใŸใ‚‰ใ„ใ„ใ€ใฐใ‚ˆใฃใ‹ใŸใ€ไธญใ€ใฎ้–“ใซใ€ใ†ใกใซใ€ใชใ„ใ†ใกใซใ€ในใใ€ในใใงใฏใชใ„ใ€ใฃใฆใ€ใชใ‹ใชใ‹ใ€ใ‚ใพใ‚Šใ€ใชใ‹ใชใ‹๏ฝžใชใ„ใ€ใซใ‚ˆใ‚‹ใจใ€ใซใ‚ˆใฃใฆใ€ๅ…จใ๏ฝžใชใ„ใ€ใ“ใจใ ใ€ใใ†ใ ใ€ใ™ใ‚‹ใจใ€ใใ†ใ™ใ‚‹ใจใ€ใฎใฏ๏ฝžใฎๆ–นใ ใ€Noun + ๅž‹ใ€ใฆใ”ใ‚‰ใ‚“

Lesson 2 (Extents and Reasons)

Combined Particlesใ€ใงใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€ใจใ“ใ‚ใŒใ€ใจใ“ใ‚ใงใ€ใปใฉใ€ใฐ๏ฝžใปใฉใ€ใปใฉ๏ฝžใชใ„ใ€ใงใฏใ€ใฎใซใ€ใŸใ‚๏ผˆใซ๏ผ‰ใ€ใŸใ‚ใซใ€ใจใ„ใ†ใ€ใจใ„ใ†ใ“ใจใ ใ€ใจใ„ใ†ใฎใฏใ€็š„ใ€ใ‚‚ใฎใ€ใ‚‚ใฎใ ใ€ๆœ€ไธญใซใ€ไธŠใงใ€ใŠใ‹ใ’ใงใ€ใซๅŸบใฅใ„ใฆใ€็‚น

Lesson 3 (Limitations and Results)

ใชใœใชใ‚‰๏ฝžใ‹ใ‚‰ใ€ใ“ใใ€ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ“ใใ€ใฐใ‹ใ‚Šใ€ใฐใ‹ใ‚Šใ ใ€ใฐใ‹ใ‚Šใซใ€ใ“ใจใŒใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€ใ“ใจใซใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใ“ใจใชใฎใ€ใ“ใจใซใชใ‚‹ใ€๏ฝžใฏ๏ฝžใงๆœ‰ๅใ€ใ“ใจใฏใชใ„ใ€๏ฝžใจ่จ€ใฃใฆใ‚‚ใ€๏ฝžใจ่จ€ใฃใฆใ‚‚โ‘กใ€ใจใ„ใˆใฐใ€ๅˆใ†ใ€ใซๅˆใ‚ใ›ใฆใ€ใซใคใ„ใฆใ€๏ฝž๏ผˆใฎ๏ผ‰ๅงฟใ€ใจ่จ€ใˆใ‚‹ใ€ใกใ‚ƒใ‚“ใจใ€ใใฎใŸใ‚ใซใ€ใใฎ็ตๆžœ

Lesson 4 (Amounts and Comparisons)

ใซๆฏ”ในใฆใ€ใฉใ‚“ใชใซ๏ฝžใฆใ‚‚ใ€ใ„ใใ‚‰๏ฝžใงใ‚‚ใ€๏ฝžใ‹ใฏ๏ฝžใซใ‚ˆใฃใฆ้•ใ†ใ€ใ‹ใชใ‚Šใ€ใ‚ใพใ‚Šใซใ€ใ‚ใ‘ใ ใ€ใ‚ใ‘ใงใฏใชใ„ใ€ใจๅŒๆ™‚ใซใ€ใจใ“ใ‚ใ ใฃใŸโ‘ ใ€ใ ใฃใฆใ€ใ‚“ใ ใฃใฆใ€้–ขไฟ‚ใŒใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€ใซ้–ขใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใซๅฏพใ—ใฆใ€ใใ‚‰ใ„โ‘กใ€ใฏ๏ฝžใใ‚‰ใ„ใงใ™ใ€ใ• (interjection)ใ€ใ• (filler)ใ€ใ• (casual ใ‚ˆ)ใ€ใใ‚Œใžใ‚Œ

Lesson 5 (Suppositions and Statements)

ใพใพ๏ผˆใซ๏ผ‰ใ€ใใ“ใงใ€ใ—ใ‹ใชใ„ใ€ใฆใ‚‚ใ‹ใพใ‚ใชใ„ใ€๏ฝžใฆใ‚‚๏ฝžใชใใฆใ‚‚ใ€ใ‚ใ‘ใŒใชใ„ใ€ใจใ—ใŸใ‚‰ใ€ใจใ—ใฆใ€ใซใ—ใฆใฏใ€ใซใ—ใฆใ‚‚ใ€๏ฝžใจใ„ใ†ใฎใฏไบ‹ๅฎŸใ ใ€ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ„ใ†ใจใ€ใซใจใฃใฆใ€ใ“ใจใ‹ใ‚‰ใ€ใจใ„ใ†ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใ€ใฏใ‚‚ใกใ‚ใ‚“ใ€ใ‚’ใฏใ˜ใ‚ใ€ใฆๅˆใ‚ใฆใ€ใ•ใˆใ€ใ•ใˆ๏ฝžใฐใ€ใŸใ‚‚ใฎใ 

Lesson 6 (Topic Changes and Counterstatements)

ใ•ใฆใ€ใ‚€ใ—ใ‚ใ€ใคใพใ‚Šใ€ๅณใกใ€ๅดใฃใฆใ€ใพใ‚‹ใง๏ฝžใ‚ˆใ†ใ ใ€ใ‚ˆใ†ใชๆฐ—ใŒใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใจใฆใ‚‚๏ฝžใชใ„ใ€ๅˆฅใซ๏ฝžใชใ„ใ€ใฐใ‹ใ‚Šใงใชใใ€ใงใฏใชใใฆใ€ใ ใ‘ใงใชใใฆ๏ฝžใ‚‚ใ€ใ ใ‘ใ—ใ‹ใ€ใฏ่จ€ใ†ใพใงใ‚‚ใชใ„โ‘ ใ€ๆฑบใ—ใฆ๏ฝžใชใ„ใ€ใ‚ใ‘ใซใฏใ„ใ‘ใชใ„ใ€๏ฝžใ‚ˆใ†ใจใ—ใชใ„ใ€ใ‚‚ใ—ใ‹ใ—ใŸใ‚‰ใ€ใŸใจใˆ๏ฝžใฆใ‚‚ใ€ใ“ใจใซใ€ใ“ใจใ‹ใ€๏ฝžใ‹ใจใ„ใ†ใจโ‘ ใ€๏ฝžใ‹ใจใ„ใ†ใจโ‘กใ€ใง่จ€ใ†ใจ

Lesson 7 (Precision and Frequency)

๏ฝžใšใคใ€ใšใฃใจโ‘กใ€ใ ใ‚‰ใ‘ใ€ใ‚‚ใฃใจใ‚‚ใ€ๅ†ใณใ€ใฟใ€ใจๅŒใ˜ใใ‚‰ใ„ใ€ใจๅŒใ˜ใงใ€ใจไธฆใ‚“ใงใ€ใซ้•ใ„ใชใ„ใ€ๅฝ“ใŸใ‚Šใ€ใซๅฝ“ใŸใ‚‹ใ€ใซ้™ใ‚‹ใ€ใจใฏ้™ใ‚‰ใชใ„ใ€ใ‚ใฃใŸใซ๏ฝžใชใ„ใ€ๅ‰ฒใซใ€Verb (volitional)ใ€Verb (volitional) + ใจใ—ใŸใŒใ€่จ€ใ†ใพใงใ‚‚ใชใ„โ‘กใ€ใใ†ใ‚‚ใชใ„ใ€ใชใ„ใ“ใจใฏใชใ„

Lesson 8 (Co-occurring and Increasing Actions)

ใชใ‚“ใ‹ใ€ๅˆ๏ฝžใ‚‚ใ€ใคใ„ใงใซใ€ใจๅ…ฑใซใ€ใซใคใ‚Œใฆใ€็›ดใกใซใ€ใŸใจใŸใ‚“ใซใ€ใŠใใซใ€ใŸใณใซใ€ใ‚ใ‚‹ใ„ใฏใ€ใชใŒใ‚‰ใ‚‚ใ€ใซใŠใ„ใฆใ€็ฌฌไธ€ใ€ใพใ™ใพใ™ใ€ไธ€ๆ–นใ ใ€ไธ€ๆ–นใงใ€้‚ใซใ€ใ™ใงใซใ€ใšใซใ€ใšใซใฏใ„ใ‚‰ใ‚Œใชใ„ใ€ใชใ—ใ€่€ƒใˆใ‚‰ใ‚Œใชใ„

Lesson 9 (Do it this way, Did it that way)

ๅฟ…ใšใ—ใ‚‚ใ€้€ฃ็”จๅฝขใ€ๅ‘ใใ€ๅ‘ใ‘ใ€ไธŠใŒใ‚‹ใ€ๅˆ‡ใ‚‹ใ€ๅˆ‡ใ‚Œใชใ„ใ€ใใ‚Šใ€ใ‹ใ‘ใ€ใซใ‹ใ‘ใฆใ€ใŸใฆใ€่พผใ‚€โ‘ ใ€่พผใ‚€โ‘กใ€ใตใ‚Šใ‚’ใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใงใใ‚Œใฐใ€ใงใ‚ˆใ‘ใ‚Œใฐใ€ๆฌก็ฌฌใ€ใจใŠใ‚Šใ€ใงใ‚‚ใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€ใฉใ†ใ—ใฆใ‚‚ใ€ใ‚‚ใ—ใ‚‚๏ฝžใชใ‚‰ใ€ๅŒๅฃซ

Lesson 10 (Labelling and Blame)

ใŒใŸใ„ใ€ใพใ•ใ‹ใ€ๅ‰่€…ใฏใ€ใคใ„ใ€ใ›ใ„ใงใ€ใใ›ใซใ€ใŒใกใ€ใŽใฟใ€ใฃใฝใ„ใ€ใฃใฑใชใ—ใ€ใ‚ใ–ใ‚ใ–ใ€ไธ€ไฝ“ใ€ๆŠ˜่ง’ใ€ใฃใ‘ใ€ไปฃใ‚ใ‚Šใซใ€ใซไปฃใ‚ใฃใฆใ€ใฉใ“ใ‚ใ‹ใ€ใจใ„ใ†็†็”ฑใงใ€๏ฝžใฏ๏ฝžใจใชใฃใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใ€ๅทฆๅณใ™ใ‚‹

:red_car: Next Up? :red_car:

Before continuing with N2, we will be going back through N5 and N4, and fixing any inconsistencies. This will be everything from titles, to search functionality, audio, spelling errors, etc. Basically, we want our N5 and N4 to be so good that we never get an error report from it again stating that something is missing. :sweat_smile:

There is no set time frame for this, but it will be done in the most timely manner as possible, so that we can continue through N2 and beyond.

:warning: Final Caution - As we are still in the process of adding hyperlinks to all of the grammar structures/words used within the writeups, please hold off on sending error reports until the end of April, as we will be continuing to go through them bit by bit and making sure each grammar point has all of the links required.

:sunglasses: As Always :sunglasses:

Thank you all for your ongoing support, and for creating an environment where we (the workers) are able to be part of a team that is driven largely by the passion and enthusiasm of its userbase. We will continue to aspire to deliver content that is engaging, interesting, and โ€ฆperhaps more importantly than anythingโ€ฆ provides as many people as possible with the tools they need to succeed with their own language learning journey.

Hope you all enjoy the new writeups, and that youโ€™re having an absolutely stellar week! For me, it is time for an energy drink :tropical_drink:

91 Likes

Thatโ€™s awesome, well done team!
Iโ€™m about 1/3 of the way into N3 and things are fairly slow going. I really like the way you explain the grammar and language overall, the N4 + N5 explanations are much clearer than any of the linked resources, so Iโ€™m really excited to have these out for N3 so I can use these for primary reading from now on.

Thanks again for all the hard work and continuous improvement.

12 Likes

Might be worth resetting the 30 N3 points Iโ€™ve readded (after my Big Resetโ„ข) to go through with the new fancy explanations and order :eyes:

After Iโ€™ve had an energy drink myself, too. Itโ€™s that Wednesday feeling, haha.

Thanks so much for all the hard work, itโ€™s super appreciated and I have no idea where my Japanese learning would be without you guys at this point!

10 Likes

Another home run from the Bunpro team. ใ•ใ™ใŒใงใ™๏ผ Keep up the good work yโ€™all, itโ€™s been amazing to watch Bunpro grow over these last 4 years!

8 Likes

Perfect, the quality of the write up changes done for N5 &N4 meant Iโ€™ve been waiting for this before starting N3.

6 Likes

Thank you so much team!

Finally my poor excuse to not do my last burst of N4 lessons is gone and Iโ€™ll have to stop procrastinating them.

7 Likes

You guys rock! Thanks!

5 Likes

Schermafbeelding 2022-04-20 om 12.55.02

You guys are right on my heels.

Looking forward to being caught up with.

ใŠ็–ฒใ‚Œๆง˜ใงใ™

9 Likes

Amazing work Bunpro team!

I just finished N4 grammar yesterday and today you post this D: N5/N4 explanations were very well-put and clear. The example sentences (+ audio) were extremely helpful. Iโ€™m so excited to get into N3!

unknown

6 Likes

I just finished N3 a few days ago, but Iโ€™m super excited to see this because Iโ€™m sure I need to go back through some of them. Thank you guys for this!

4 Likes

oh thatโ€™s brilliant! thanks to the Bunpro team! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Oof I wish I had delayed the N3 study for a couple more weeks, but itโ€™s still appreciated, thanks Bunpro Team!

3 Likes

Wonderful!!! I will soon be reaching N3 this will absolutely take my japanese to the next level. Thank you :pray: ใ”่‹ฆๅŠดใ•ใพใงใ—ใŸBUNPROใฎใฟใชใ•ใ‚“ใ€‚

3 Likes

The grammar explanations for N4 were a game-changer for me. Iโ€™m soooo glad that you all are ahead of me! Iโ€™m still a ways from getting to N3 but Iโ€™m not sure I could do it without the the bunpro writeups.

5 Likes

bunpro just keeps getting better. thanks alot for your hard work :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Nice work!
I have been taking it slowly but im sure i will eventually make it to see these new explanations :+1:

1 Like

Iโ€™ve been delaying my grammar studies for 3 weeks waiting for this, glad to see it release!

And that it happened mostly when I expected it to (if it wasnโ€™t up by end of april I was going to continue anyway).

2 Likes

Thank you really much. You are saving me a bunch of time.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thank you for the great writeups!

My one small piece of feedback would be that the trailing furigana in parentheses makes text hard for me to read; using ruby or even no furigana would be much more readable.

2 Likes