Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

This is clearly a very, verrry low-priority detail, but this is the message I got for adding the last available N1 grammar point via the “New Lessons” button on the dashboard:

Seems it should say something slightly different if I’ve already added everything that’s currently available :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I was thinking about some sort of reverse quiz in Bunpro – where Japanese is given and you have to guess the correct English. It’s probably difficult to make an exact Bunpro-style quiz because there’s so many ways to translate Japanese sentences and grammar points, but I’d still be interested in even just a multiple choice quiz. And you could use all the existing sentences. And allow the user to press space before showing the choices to allow some time to think of what the correct answer should be.

Example:
この絵は、綺麗じゃありません
This painting ____ beautiful.
…press space to show choices…
a) is
b) is not
c) was
d) was not

3 Likes

A landing page with an about section and patch notes would be nice. I’m personally not a huge fan of how the community pages are organized which makes it hard to actually tell what’s being updated, or what the plans for the service are.

2 Likes

I consider resources that force 振り仮名 similarly handicapped…

I think it’d be nice to have the audio somehow gathered separately to listen to on repeat when doing other activities. :grin:

1 Like

Maybe this will help, @4enR !

1 Like

It would be really nice if there was a text box in which I could just paste some text and I would see which grammar points are being used and where.

This would be so cool! Reading through some article or something, not being sure if I understand a sentence or maybe even paragraph completely, being able to just take it and see what it is doing, being able to pick up studying these points immediately.

1 Like

There might be better options out there that I’m just randomly forgetting, but have you tried ichi.moe ?

Thank you, I tried that site, and it mostly does what I would want.

But the important thing would be that the text box would result in easily accessible links to the relevant grammar points on BunPro. It would be very convenient, I think.

Might be an odd suggestion, but would it ever be possible to get a function where you could manually decrease a grammar point’s stage? There’s a few that I know the answer to but in reality my understanding of how it’s actually used in sentences isn’t at an 8 or 10 stage. Probably a crazy suggestion but could be interesting!

3 Likes

@EdBunpro As a work-around, I’ve started doing this-- whenever I notice a grammar point that somehow reaches 9 or 10 but I still feel weak on understanding, I just click Reset Review (at the bottom of that point’s info page). It’s a small hit to my pride, but the extra practice is useful. And it doesn’t take long to get back up. You’re back up to level 7 in 2 weeks or so. :slight_smile:

That’s actually something I thought of but never knew the answer - time it would take to get something from 1 to levels 7-10 or so. Might do this vs. just intentionally getting something wrong, especially if I get something right then realize after I actually didn’t really know it.

Thanks!

1 Like

Is this the best place to suggest new grammar notes? I just searched but I wasn’t certain. If so, one I could use is なして. It’s hard for me to notice that it’s a conjugation of 為す, which itself is one of those broad verbs with a ton of meanings. Jisho lists 為す as N2 so I’d guess that’s where なして would go as well, but that’s totally a wild guess!

2 Likes

I’m very new, so I’m sure that someone mentioned this before, but it would be nice if when you went on a path’s page and you see all of the points organized, you could see what the book/website describes the grammar point as. I spent a bit of time looking for past tense verbs in the Genki path only to see it was called “verbs [ta]”. I know it’s a very small gripe but just in case I thought I would mention it.

1 Like

Do you mean the book has a different definition for the grammar point compared to what’s said when you hover over the grammar point in the path page?

no, I mean the actual name of the points are different. So in this example Bunpro calls it “verb [ta]” and the textbook calls it “Past Tense of Verbs”. I couldn’t figure out which grammar point corresponded to the one I was reading about in the textbook. In hindsight I could’ve just clicked on each one to see more details or cross referenced the textbook, so it’s not really a big deal.

I think the grammar point Noun+でよければ should be generalized to uses of よければ in general. Also perhaps include a note about using (もし)よろしければ to make it more formal.

1 Like

I’m not sure how often this comes up, but it seems that if no reviews become available to do for more than 24 hours, it will break the streak, even if you “show up”. It would be nice if there was some way to still get credit for these days.

2 Likes

Someone’s mentioned this before, but you don’t have to just do a review to get a streak. I believe they said looking at a grammar lesson or reading extends it? Maybe even doing just 1 cram review? May or may not be correct, just a heads-up of something you can check out yourself until any change is made.

2 Likes

I think it’d be nice to be able to list all my studied grammar points from a certain streak level. Eg. What are all the points from Streak level 10?
That way, I can quickly look at points that I haven’t seen in a while and reset the ones that I want to review more.

1 Like