Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Just throwing out a probably niche and annoying to implement idea after reading the recent reveal vs manual answer type discussion: Answer type presets as an in-between for reveal and grade and manual answer type.

If reveal and grade is selected, then you get access to some selectors for answer type presets.
a setting to make beginner cards manual until adept, and then reveal and grade after.
a setting to make failed reveal and grade cards require successful manual input next review before switching back to reveal and grade. Ghosts as manual input.

4 Likes

Hello again Sir Peanuttington,

This new index page is a temporary solution before we completely revamp this Decks index and the individual Deck pages.

It will completely change in the (hopefully near) future!

2 Likes

Is there a timeline for when the N4 vocab deck will get more specific hints/nuance like N5 has?

I think having a notes section in review would be nice. Especially to help custom what nuances and hints for grammar we are looking for and differences and usage even though the English translation appears the same such as 反面、一方で. so I would like to add in the notes for these! Also, when I click content and options to focus on specific grammar such only n3 it doesn’t show up anything seems like filtering out option isn’t working.

Oh and in addition to this, please make non-JLPT vocab (such as those marked ‘A1’, etc) appear in the app search like they do on web :pray:

Also, consider appending a user’s own synonyms to the main list of definitions, but in a different color to indicate that they’re custom.
Currently they serve little purpose (at least for reveal & grade flashcards) as you gotta scroll all the way down just to see themーwhich is either a waste of study time or I won’t bother doing it at all :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just throwing out a probably niche and annoying to implement idea after reading the recent reveal vs manual answer type discussion: Answer type presets as an in-between for reveal and grade and manual answer type.
If reveal and grade is selected, then you get access to some selectors for answer type presets.
a setting to make beginner cards manual until adept, and then reveal and grade after.
a setting to make failed reveal and grade cards require successful manual input next review before switching back to reveal and grade. Ghosts as manual input.

THIS.

As mentioned in this somewhat related topic, I believe it’s an important missing feature for those of us relying on Bunpro to learn vocab. I can’t count how much kanji words I can produce but struggle to recognize while reading.

I would understand those words in a conversation and I obviously know the prononciation and spelling, so I get them right in reviews by writing in hiragana and they go up in the SRS.
I’ll have to reset a lot, switching to reading mode reviews and manually downgrading the SRS level. Or should I be my own judge and mark them incorrect if I feel uncertain about my ability to read ? I’d say the SRS should be responsible.

We could have a “mixed reviews” option, alternating between manual input and reading for each words. Maybe adding a few steps in the SRS or even having separate tracks for production and reading proficiency.

1 Like

The website is changing so often that I don’t know know if this is new or if it was there all along, but thanks for marking translations made by AI as ChatGPT!

It’s a step forward into translation validations :+1:.

1 Like

Would it be possible to integrate a way to change the review type once grammar points hits a certain SRS stage?

For example, if I wanted it to be (Reading, reveal) between Beginner 1 - Adept 3 and then (Fill-in, manual) from Seasoned 1 - Master?

3 Likes

Since まっ as in 真っすぐ、真っ赤、真っ青 、… is a grammar point I was wondering if there were any plans to add ぶっ as in 打っ壊す、打っ飛ばす 、… as a grammar point?
I think it’d be great to have!

1 Like

feature request :
immediately after I add a new grammar point to reviews, I’d like to be tested on it maybe 3 to 5 times with different sentences, so I can immediately get into using it in different contexts/forms which would help the memorisation a lot IMO. It would add a bit of importance to it rather that having it just added to the next review round.

I find right now that expecting it to come first once I do my review round is inefficient as I just know it is the one coming and fill it without much thinking. being tested on different forms directly would add a little mental effort.

I do it currently by manually lowering my level one block repeatedly, so I am tested on different sentences for the same grammar point, but it is not ideal.

5 Likes

Not sure if this has been requested already, but I would love to be able to put specific decks in vacation mode. Or, there are times where I maybe want to focus on a specific deck (limited time, pre-JLPT, etc.), without worrying about reviews piling up in my other decks.

I know that I can do reviews for specific decks by navigating to it, but I find it a bit stressful watching my overall review count getting higher if I am ignoring items from other decks. On the other hand, I also don’t want to resort to resetting a deck and losing all progress on it just to temporarily clear out my review queue.

Wondering if this is something that could potentially be included under Deck Settings?

Thanks!

1 Like

Today’s the day again, I have 80 reviews when usually I have less than 30 T.T

I suppose one way to average them out manually out would be to just do X reviews today and leave the rest for tomorrow. But of course then you get that stressful counter of unfinished reviews.

With that, an idea (not thought through enough to be called a suggestion):
To have some settings for reviews similar to the learn queue. For example, to set a personal goal of 50 reviews per day, and when you are done, the remaining review counter cosmetically changes to green. You’d be able to do the “extra reviews” and finish all of them, or leave them until the next day with more peace of mind.
It might help people with growing review backlogs to stick to the routine and not get burned out, without messing with vacation mode settings.
I don’t know if it’s a great idea from the SRS effectiveness pov though.

1 Like

FWIW, there is already a small animation for slaying ghosts (on the web), the little ghost in the top right corner flies up and disappears. Pretty fun. I also like that it doesn’t interrupt the review flow, since sometimes there are a lot of ghosts to slay.

3 Likes

Can I just confirm whether some new grammar points were added to N2 or N3? Just came across this lesson in my learn queue and it is placed in N2 lesson 1, which i thought I completed months ago. It also seems a bit bare, i.e. no audio for example sentences.

Another example would be this.

1 Like

Yes, few grammar points have been added! You can read more about the newly added ones here!

2 Likes

Ah, thank you! I saw that come through and thought it was just non-JLPT items

1 Like

Suggestion to add an option/dropdown to create/display a user note on the review page?

In Anki, I’ll often add user notes to my cards as I’m reviewing, detailing things I’ve learned in addition to the the thing being tested on the card.
It might be a note on a particular grammar point, or kanji, conjugation type, implied nuance, synonym or antonym etc etc, or maybe I’ll reference a previous card if it has some kind of connection to the current one. I kind of ise the cards themselves as a second brain/note taking method

It just helps me to further reinforce the material on the card in a variety of ways instead of just rote memorizing the card.
Thanks!

*Edit:
An example of how I would use it just popped up.
I had a close card where the answer was だけど
In anki, I would list the other applicable Causitive Particles" along with their formality levels and nuances etc.
So when I get that card wrong, I can read through the list and clearly differentiate between each one at a glance.

I do the same with kanji cards.
If I’m constantly getting confused between 2 or 3 different similar-looking kanji, I’ll list all of them on the back, along with their meanings/readings.
It’s easier to recognize and memorize their differences when you can see them side by side.

As some of the grammar points taught here can seem to be interchangeable to a beginner, it’d be nice to be able to have somewhere on the card to make a note of the differences between them etc, or to use this card to highlight and reinforce information taught on a different card.

1 Like

Mobile app now has this update!
ありがとうございました🙏

1 Like

Anki has a ‘bury sibling cards until next day’ option
Which when checked, will never queue more than 1 sentence from each grammar point.
It might be a good way to cut down a scary review stack, like limited ghosts
I think Anki picks which ever sentence was typed first.