Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

I would like this feature, because the “troubled grammar” feature does not target my weak points at all, and with your recommendation I could at least choose.

1 Like

Sorry if this has been suggested before, but would be nice to have the option to review stamped :bunprogold: sentences again in a reverse platform, such as a simple flashcard of the Japanese sentences (separate from the main platform like ‘Cram’). I hesitate to suggest a reverse-productive input as this would likely be a nightmare to architect so I’m just suggesting comprehensive reading akin to a classic SRS style or just a simple flashcard. Seems we wave さようなら forever to all these excellent example sentences after ‘:bunprogold:ing’ but would be nice to check later on that I can still comprehend the Japanese meanings if I haven’t seen it in a while.

4 Likes

Under がする this post would be very useful to add to the readings:

To explain why がする is used as opposed to say 聞こえる.

2 Likes

Settings for JLPT level: please add an “auto” entry to the list of the JLPT levels to study. Every time you add grammar into N5 - N3 users on N2 need to manually change the JLPT level setting in order to study the new grammar points. That’s not very comfortable.
“Auto” would just add the latest grammar from the lowest levels automatically into the study mode.

6 Likes

Shouldn’t sentences for this grammar point have the suggestion of のような as alternative grammar and vice versa?

In case you didn’t see it @Johnathan-Weir , we’ve had some discussions that may be helpful. Some nuances don’t apply regarding みたいな・のように interchanging.

Nothing I haven’t really found before. As far as I can tell from lots of googling they are almost always interchangeable except for a few set phrases (このように, etc). The vast majority of answers just say よう is just more formal than みたい.

It would just be helpful if they said whether or not they’re interchangeable on a per sentence basis.

1 Like

Discussion section could just be another tab after ‘readings’

2 Likes

You know that post is over a year old, right? There is already a discussion section on these forums in the #grammar-points section.

new to these forums and didn’t realize until after I posted, no need to be rude.

2 Likes

Grammar point suggestion: または - “or, otherwise”

I always mistake または and またも so would be nice to have a grammar point for that.

3 Likes

@dakotalightsmith
Hey and welcome on community forums :slight_smile:

@Anthropos888
I have added it to the (very long) to-do list!
I am surprised though that we do not have it covered already :bowing_man:

6 Likes

Since we’ve started expanding on the nuances that can fit into the answer blanks during reviews, I’ve started to think that there may be a need to clarify everything that’s been marked as “casual:”

If the grammar itself is restricted to casual settings, the tag should be [casual]
If a review wants 辞書形 (not ですます体 or 敬語), the tag should be [casual form]

Then, for consistency’s sake, IIRC there are reviews marked with [polite] (asking for ですます体) that should then be changed to [polite form] to match.

The good news is, I don’t believe that any grammar points themselves are marked as [polite] (because they are marked with [formal] instead), so at least that change should be easy/straightforward to make all at once.

In the instance that a review wants 辞書形 on a casual grammar point, I think [casual] works as a catchall (so, no need for [casual・casual form], which looks a bit redundant, but maybe that explicitness would be good anyway).

Alternatively, instead of [casual form] maybe we could use [辞書形] or [dictionary form], and then [ですます体] for polite verb forms.

I’m also starting to think it might be nice to have an option to toggle kanji on/off (probably defaulted to “off”) in the answer blanks; I personally like any excuse for more kanji exposure, but kanji hints won’t be very useful (and likely frustrating) to anyone who can’t read them yet.

7 Likes

That would be helpful. I would prefer these four nuance hints:

Casual grammar
Formal grammar
Casual form
Polite form

4 Likes

This has probably been said but,

-JLPT
-Automatic audio for the review cards!!

What about the JLPT?

• Search feature in the grammar tab.
  • Make it so we get different sentences in our reviews, sometimes I don’t recall the particle but rather the sentence and then the particle.
  • The option to select which items I want to cram, say I have difficulty remembering all the ta and te forms, I don’t want to cram a bunch of はs to get to them. (or create dozens of self study reviews by copy pasting items that already exist on the site and not have audio that already exists in them.)
  • This might take a long time to make, but I would LOVE an srs system that asks you to build an entire sentence, not just fill in the missing particle, it would certainly make me stop looking elsewhere for places to truly practice what I’ve learned here.

That’s all I can think of atm, I believe that last one will take the site to a whole new level and you already have a lot of sentences and audio and an srs system in place, all a matter of changing it from a few characters to an entire sentence.

2 Likes

@loladae Hey! Are you studying for the JLPT? Bunpro’s Lessons page has all of it’s grammar points organized by JLPT level. By “automatic audio,” do you mean “autoplay?” If so, this is already an option in Settings. Just turn Audio Autoplay to “on.” Cheers!

@SilverGoffer

If you click on the Grammar dropdown in the navbar and click All Grammar, you will be directed to a page that displays all grammar with a search option. We would like to set up a search option that resides within the navbar itself in the near future.

Bunpro’s review questions change as you progress and are written in a way that build upon previously studied grammar, presenting you with a new and unique context in every study session. This means that, as you advance through your studies, you get more and more exposure to the grammar that you have learned.

This is up there on our to-do list. Stay tuned!

While this would be an awesome feature to have, the sheer amount of variables that would need to be accounted for, even for simple sentences, would make implementing a feature like this very difficult. We already have grammar points that require that we “catch” five or more other grammar points because they are either interchangeable or could work in a given context. Having to account for multiple particles, verbs, adjectives, not to mention different interpretations of the English translation, would be a tremendous undertaking and would take quite some time to make a reality. Cheers!

2 Likes

Check out the message board on BP (see below). WK Japanese only boards are also really good too. Or you can find a native partner or tutor…I believe this is best as this is real world application (not srs practice toward application). Plus it’s far more fun and fulling to use your own creative thoughts.

3 Likes

Aww thanks for quoting me there. I’m touched :joy:

3 Likes