Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

I would like to echo this request, I struggle with conjugation and this filtering system would be SUPER helpful to me.

3 Likes

Hi,
I have been studying this grammar point lately: 恋恄
I have autoplay audio enabled, and I believe I also have random voice enabled (I couldnā€™t find again this setting, donā€™t know where it is) what is bothering me, is for grammar points like 怌恋恄怍I always heard a female voice for the audio (maybe randomisation bad luck?)
As this is a grammar point mostly used by men, couldnā€™t it be better to have male audio only (or by default) for these points ? To be more consistent with the real usage ?

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using the vocab lists as a way to revise all the vocab Iā€™ve learned before I retake the N3, making sure I havenā€™t missed anything. That means Iā€™ve been going through large amounts of vocab per day to get it into my reviews, and I have a couple of suggestions:

It would be great to be able to add words to my reviews without having to click through every page of the learning section beforehand, or add an entire deck to reviews at a certain level at once.

More importantly though, whenever I ā€˜learnā€™ 50 vocab words for the first time, I canā€™t undo and reenter my answers. Because Iā€™ve learned the words before, I might enter an answer that is technically right but bunpro marks it as wrong because itā€™s spelt or worded slightly differently - e.g. ā€œhipsā€ vs ā€œhipā€. I end up stuck in an endless loop on these 50 words until i manage to word them exactly right. It would be fantastic if I could just undo and fix my typo myself, even on the learning section.

1 Like

Would it be possible to add Furigana somehow to custom notes? Or maybe superscript/subscript if that is not a possibility?

1 Like

I just noticed the ā€˜cram wrong itemsā€™ at the end of my reviews, and first of all, I love something like that.

I started doing it, and noticed that the audio playback is set to female, and I canā€™t find an option to change it to male.

I have my audio set to male for everything else, so was wondering if Iā€™m being silly, or if there could be an option to change the audio preference in the cram session.

Thank you

quick edit: I seem to get the odd male audio sprinkled in as well. I double checked the grammar points, and the ones playing female audio do have the male audio available too

1 Like

Mastery of some grammar points, like 恦 form, is essential for later points, like 恦ćÆ恄恑ćŖ恄. If you canā€™t produce the 恦 form of a verb, youā€™ll similarly struggle to produce 恦 form + ćÆ恄恑ćŖ恄. I read that WaniKani-style unlocks are difficult for grammar, which does seem hard to do universally, but some points have direct dependencies where ā€œno 恦ćÆ恄恑ćŖ恄 before you finish your 恦!ā€ would be helpful.

Similarly, Bunpro introduces that infamous 恦 form with a giant list of every possible (non-悋) conjugation crammed into a single lesson and then gives you no practice with any of them. You answer a single question on one of those conjugations and are then deemed to have learned all the rest. The SRS quizzes are great for recall but not for learning something in the first place, so itā€™d be great if there was a comprehensive drill or a mandatory ā€œCramā€ before adding something complex to your review queue instead of the single question that presently gauges your comprehension of everything.

Sorry if these issues were discussed earlier in the thread; I did a quick forum search but didnā€™t find anything. Otherwise really enjoying Bunpro, and surprised by how active the developers are in a 2000-post thread.

3 Likes

Maybe this has already been said, but as with ā€œReading Practiceā€, it would be wonderful to have ā€œListening Practiceā€.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s one of the reasons I find the whole ā€œru verbā€ nomenclature absurd and misleading. Ichidan and godan donā€™t carry this baggage.

At the very least they should be called ā€œiru/eru verbsā€, but even that is not always true.

2 Likes

I only do batches of ten myself but I agree that itā€™s a strange discrepancy. Sometimes Iā€™ll type a synonym of just make a typo and I have no way to fix it.

Also sometimes I like to type something wrong on purpose just to see if thereā€™s one of these helpful ā€œwhat you typed works but weā€™re looking for something elseā€ or ā€œthis isnā€™t the right nuance hereā€ etcā€¦ I find that is sometimes useful to compare and contrast similar items, and also to see if I remembered that other word/grammar point correctly.

I wish there was a way to access the full list of these ā€œsoft failā€ alternatives for every item, it could be interesting I think.

2 Likes

When creating your own self-study/custom sentences, it would be sweeeeeeet if the input boxes at the top could be changed to automatically write in hiragana rather than romaji (just like the input boxes during reviews/cram):

1 Like

Is it possible to have all English hidden when doing reviews?
I like to have the Japanese nuance to read, but if I see the English nuance, my brain automatically reads that instead, taking away the chance for me to really think about it.

1 Like

Finally trying out the vocab decks starting with n5, I really think a bulk setting would be nice. To be able to select multiple vocab to add to reviews/mastered or some other srs stage

Obviously this would be more useful to people who already know a decent amount of vocab wanting to use decks. I can see I know nearly all of the n5 deck so Iā€™d rather just bulk add to reviews/mark mastered, rather than individually ā€œlearningā€ them. Is this a thing on web? Speaking only from app experience on this

Update, doing flashcards style and itā€™d be really cool to have an option for the audio of the Japanese once you flip the card just so Iā€™ll hear the word each time

3 Likes

I would like an egg timer (stopwatch) during Bunpro Reviews so that I donā€™t take too long. @Kumi 's Egg Timer does not currently work on the Bunpro Reviews 2.0 and it does not seem like it would require too much coding (not even 50 lines of Javascript code).

I currently do not have enough technical expertise to implement a stopwatch of my own, but I am working my way towards becoming able to, and if Bunpro implements it natively, I think that would be the best for Bunpro users.

If the answer is wrong, please block advancing to further review for 1 or 2 seconds. When Iā€™m sure that the answer is correct but itā€™s not or thereā€™s a typo I often double-click enter, so I canā€™t even see where I made a mistake or look up the grammar.

1 Like

Please could we have different sound settings between the app and the website. When Iā€™m on my phone, whilst I appreciate the lovely sound of the example sentences, the people nearby donā€™t. However when Iā€™m on my pc, it would be nice to hear them.

Appreciate this will either be extremely simple or complicated to implement. If itā€™s the latter, no worries, itā€™s a nice-to-have.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure the best place to write this, so feel free to move my post!

I think I could get used to the new look for grammar points! The one thing that is distracting me so far though is the three buttons on the left and the big blank space beneath it. Do you think they could be moved e.g. to be all on one line at the top of the grammar point, then that whole column can be deleted?

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Iā€™ve just enabled this in Notes too.
You can add furigana just like you do with Self-Study sentences ā€“ by using kana in full-width parenthesis after the kanji.

So like so:

ę¼¢å­—ļ¼ˆć‹ć‚“ć˜ļ¼‰
3 Likes

A Conjugation drill system is something weā€™ve discussed for a while.
Hopefully one day soon weā€™ll get around to actually implementing it.

3 Likes

Wish we could do so easilyā€¦ unfortunately the library we use for automatic conversion in Reviews also messes with the IME conversion of your OS, so entering Kanji would be hard.

2 Likes

Actually letā€™s take advantage of that black spot. How about when you add a note, it populates below the add note button.

That way it mirrors the Cornell note taking system, which I personally like. So that way you can quickly reference your notes when you read the example sentences. Perhaps you can make the note boxes collapsable too so you can read the example sentences without distractions. I think that would be great tbh.

1 Like