Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Pleeeeeeease make an option to cram bookmarked grammar points! Finding and selecting grammar I have trouble with to cram is such a pain!

5 Likes

@Johnathan-Weir
@EdBunpro

Hey :grinning:
I have replaced the 「Phrase1 + その結果、 + Phrase2」 with 「Phrase1。その結果+Phrase2」.

The その結果 doesn’t have to be used at the beginning of the sentence but notice that in that case is usually followed by some kind of particle, and it does not mean “as a result” but it is used as a noun phrase “that result/the result/those results”, for example:
実験をし、その結果確認する
Conduct the experiment, and confirm the results.

I hope it helps,
Cheers

2 Likes

(apologies if this has already been requested)

I’d like to see my errors!
When I get an answer wrong, and then reveal the correct answer, sometimes I can’t tell the difference. I think this mostly happens with typos. I believe being able to compare your wrong answer directly with the correct one is very helpful for learning.

My suggested fix: insert my wrong answer into the array of acceptable answers, but render it in red. That way when I cycle through all the correct answers, I can compare my attempt against them.

2 Likes

Would it ever be possible to implement a feature for the custom notes section of grammar points to be expandable so I can read all the text at once instead of having to deal with a scrollbar?

Also to add one more request, the ability to add notes to example sentences would be killer since some of the nuances I don’t find often in the wild and I’d love to have a place to review it in one swoop. I feel like I’m always recommending improvements sorry LOL I swear I enjoy using this site

1 Like

By any chance, would you have links to exercises in which one has to fill the blank with the right particle? I every exam I took in JAPN 203/204, there was some question like this (where I did poorly :frowning: ) but I don’t think this type of question is suitable to SRS since there is no point in taking the same question again. I found this link Fun with Japanese particles: Fit the particle to the verb | Nihongo-Pro.com and I’m looking for more particle practices.

2 Likes

I think it would be great to have the ability to bury a review, similar to what we have in anki. There have been a few times that I get something like a conjugation wrong, or I don’t read the whole hint, but I don’t want to oops it and move on.

1 Like

standardize the usage of tildes in grammar points.

if you control+f and search ~ you get 64 results

if you control+f and search 〜 you get 34 results

can make searching for a grammar point a pain if you don’t know to look under the other one.

3 Likes

I use windows IME (and a similar in OSX when I use the mac) to write directly in hiragana, and it works perfect, But if I write a kanji, the solution is not accepted although is correct.
Allowing writing kanji would help to also get used to the kanjis instead of only writing in hiragana.

The app is still good with the current features, and there are some replies that I consider more important than this one, but still I recommend this website a lot.

Thanks for your work and patiente

2 Likes

Notifications for when new grammar points are due would be really really helpful. I want the option to be harassed by the app. It’s not a gotcha game I’d be upset about being bothered it’s learning that I’ll forget if it’s too out of sight out of mind T.T I am weak

1 Like

The order of まさか and なんか・なんて should be switched.

The examples for まさか almost all use なんて so it only makes sense that it should be taught after learning なんて in my opinion.

1 Like

Would it ever possible to implement a study-ahead feature that Anki and co. have? Or is it just not possible using the SRS system Bunpro has? The only reason I ask is lately I’ve been finding myself wishing I could review a set period’s time worth of grammar before going out and then opening Bunpro up in the morning to a very high amount of reviews, which doesn’t exactly get me motivated.

An issue I’ve been running into a lot lately is that the reviews aren’t based on an XX:00 basis, so sometimes i’ll get 1/10th of the amount at XX:00 and the rest at XX:45. Similar to my previous point, if I want to do a study session before bed and knock off some points I either have to stay up an extra 40+ minutes or let it all accumulate until the morning. Obviously this isn’t a major problem lmao but just something that I’ve found could potentially be adjusted if the user had a preference.

4 Likes

I don’t know if this have been requested, but could the lesson/review done during late within a certain hour, then have the later reviews appear on top of the hour, instead of following the minutes exactly from the lesson/review being done?

Not sure if I explained it well. For example if the SRS timing is 4 hours / 8 hours / 24 hours, say if I start my lesson/review at 8.45am, can I have the reviews for the day appear at 12.00pm / 8.00pm instead? I think WaniKani has theirs done this way so one doesn’t have to wait for the later minutes of the hour. In this case, I don’t have to wait until it’s 12.45pm and 8.45pm to do the later reviews.

But if I’m mistaken about Wanikani’s system, do correct me and perhaps I missed the memo that Bunpro uses a different system than WaniKani to be more precise with the SRS timings. Thanks for the time reading this suggestion.

1 Like

Is it exact? I thought it added new reviews at XX:00 and XX:30

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t know about the XX:30 addition! For a while I thought it followed the exact time because it wasn’t the top of the hour, instead of the XX:30 mark. I can check that out soon, thank you!

I saw that the N1 grammar points are only up to Lesson 6, and there is no audio for the example sentences. I would like to use Bunpro to prepare for the N1 in December 2021, but I am worried that the N1 grammar points and audio won’t be implemented in time to study for the test.

Do you guys have an idea when the full list of N1 grammar points and audio will be complete? Thanks!

1 Like

Is there an option or hotkey I’m missing to show the asked for grammar point AND ONLY it’s nuance during reviews? For now it seems to be nothing > hint > sentence + hint > sentence + hint + nuance. There’s a couple times I wish that after the hint it would only show the hint + nuance without giving the english away, if that makes sense. Perhaps I just glossed over it in the settings though!

oh and one more question/improvement: i wanted to go into cram and select the last 5 days worth of grammar points I added (90% being just the standard order from N3.) when I filter the results by “seen grammar” the list that it churns out just seems to be randomly thrown together as opposed to numbers 1 - XXX that go in order through N3. is there a way to achieve what I want? I suppose for now I could just ctrl+f and manually select each one based off the master list, but that’s kind of annoying.

Could you have the api allow cross origin requests? I’m trying to write a script that displays my Bunpro review count/next review date while I’m on the WaniKani forums, but I get the error:
Access to fetch at 'https://bunpro.jp/api/user/<my api key>/study_queue' from origin 'https://community.wanikani.com' has been blocked by CORS policy: Response to preflight request doesn't pass access control check: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. If an opaque response serves your needs, set the request's mode to 'no-cors' to fetch the resource with CORS disabled.

Following a bit on what RobbyV said in his first suggestion: Bunpro really needs some handholding when pacing and pathing are concerned, especially for new users. While I appreciate a lot the pragmatic and succinct approach of Bunpro, most people in the early stages of learning a language need the didacticism of a textbook or an equivalent. Maybe one day Bunpro will have its own courseware, but until then I really think that Bunpro should explicitly instigate the usage of the material these paths originate from and do that as early as possible. Even if making users go away from the site for a moment might sound a bit counterproductive, I’m very confident of Bunpro’s retention as a product when used alongside a textbook. I’ll try to explain my reasoning below through what I have experienced.

I stumbled upon this site on the wanikani forums, and while I really loved its design and SRS approach, I didn’t go beyond my free month, even with the subscription being criminally cheap. The reason was simple: I couldn’t either pace nor situate myself. I was given grammar points with very succinct explanations (which are double-edged) and had to review them. These were fun for a while, but once I saw that retaining and getting better was very slow, I dropped out. As a side note, a few friends of mine went through similar problems.

A few months later (or a few weeks ago) I decided to started trying to read some stuff in japanese and, with only Wanikani by my side, I was in urgent need for grammar lessons. I picked up Tae Kim’s book and loved it, but I reaaally starved for exercises. That’s when Bunpro exploded from my memory like a volcano and now I can easily say that it’s a great tool to assist in grammar learning.

TL;DR: Bunpro is very hard if you’re starting with zero or close to zero japanese grammar knowledge thus the usage of textbooks or equivalents alongside the tool should be explicitly instigated as early as possible.

1 Like

What more could Bunpro do to encourage textbook usage? I don’t mean that as a slight against you, but I’ve seen someone else bring this up before and it kind of left me scratching my head. They give you a snapshot of the grammar point along with different nuances, and then link to to 3+ outside sources and also link to page numbers of where this could be found in textbooks. On top of this there are multiple paths where you literally follow the points introduced in TK/textbooks. Perhaps paths could be advertised better? I guess it comes down to what you assume your users are doing vs. what they are actually doing, I’m not sure if there’s site data that can be utilized for clicks on external links.

When you were using the site the first time around how many points were you adding a day? A week? I see it the same way I see Anki - you’re able to self-judge what works for you and adjust accordingly, which is why I will never understand why WK forces users into a non-adjustable learning cycle. :sweat_smile: Nonetheless, always fun to hear different POVs on things!

4 Likes

The only thing I can think of to help mitigate this issue would be a beginner walkthrough guide, with recommendations.

There is a help page:

But I don’t think a little more information could hurt. Like the mentioning of paths (I know it’s in the FAQ, but I think it being repeated there could help), or a suggested start in how many grammar points for people who are uncertain.

I’ve had an account for forever now, so I’m not sure how it is for new users, but if not already, an intro email with a link to that help page to get someone started would be nice. Or put it pretty prominently in your face after you log in for the first time. “Hey, if you need help on how to start, click here!” sort of thing.

But yeah, unless people who are having issues bring up some ideas, I’m not sure what else is missing. I’ve never had that absolute beginner perspective with Bunpro, so it’s hard to say what is needed.

1 Like