Feedback - General

Could you please send us an email at [email protected]. I will try to figure out what might be causing the issue preventing you from subscribing but may need to ask you a few more questions to figure it out.

@seanblue Thank you for pointing those out. We will look to add that grammar point and see if we can’t quiz you more strictly on にみえる.

@roranlee N3 is essentially done in terms of grammar points, but there are still a few that we might come across that either need to be moved into/out of N3 or additional grammar that we will add.

1 Like

I would really like it if there was an option that the audio is played automatically after I submitted the correct answer.

I like this kind of audio feedback, since it feels like a little reward when I’ve read the sentence correctly. Also it trains the ears more for the Japanese grammar points. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I sent direct feedback but wanted to mention here as well. One of the example sentences for たところ uses the Verb[よう]とする grammar point in the sentence. Since that’s N3 grammar, I don’t think it should be included in an N4 grammar point’s example sentence.

1 Like

@Pushindawood Any update on the new N3 example sentences? I added an N3 grammar point that I happened to encounter when reading but I got frustrated at reviewing the same sentences over and over again so I removed it from my review queue.

Is there a reason why the Bunpro Changelog thread can not be accessed from the forum? I can only see the changelog when I click “news” in the app but I can not find the thread in any forum category (on phone)

2 Likes

Ok, after a lot of scrolling I found the thread. Can you make it sticky so that it will always be on top?

I can’t see or hear anything different.

Sorry for the late answer, I’ve been away.

Anyway, I just picked different grammar points until I found examples for you.

Bunpro audio exists for example sentences, so the script does nothing
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/136

Bunpro audio does not exists, so script adds some
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/213

I see now that Bunpro has changed how their audio player looks, so I’ll have an update ready for the script asap

1 Like

Ah, I might be asking for a lot, but I’m currently reviewing N5 for the JLPT and there’s some serious kanji usage that is way too advanced for N5. I know you can toggle furigana but it doesn’t seem that it works for general grammar (study page / first part of the grammar units, but in the sentences it does).

It feels like it turns into a hunt trying to find how to pronounce the grammar vs being able to read it super quick!

Thank you for your feedback! When we created each JLPT level we made sure that we only included vocabulary specific to that JLPT. However, some of the kanji associated with this vocabulary can be from a higher JLPT level. We wanted to give you the most authentic experience as possible by including the kanji associated with the vocabulary if that is typically how it appears in everyday Japanese and allowing you to toggle on/off the furigana when you may not know the reading. We have tried not to include difficult kanji/vocabulary in the structure/meaning section of each grammar point, but we realize that this portion of the site could also benefit from having the ability to toggle on/off furigana and we will see about implementing it soon. Cheers!

EDIT: While we tried our best to be careful with what we added, we may have inadvertently added vocabulary that is inappropriate for a particular JLPT level. If you find any such cases, please do not hesitate to let us know so that we can update Bunpro and make it more comprehensive for everyone.

I’m not sure if it’s on the to-do list already, but little hints/notes on the differences of “should have/would be better to” and all those grammar points would be lovely! I keep mixing them up x’D

1 Like

We are working on that!
Which points are you mixing?

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you ^^
The ones I mix up are ばいい、ばよかった、ほうがいい、and probably some other one I’m forgetting xD

1 Like

Very short explanation:
Aばよかった、means if I did A, it would have been good. It is used when you regret something, and you describe the hypothetical alternative which you should have chosen back then.
Something like, I should have bought a bitcoin.(I regret it, because I would be rich now).

ばいい/たらいい
Is used to give the most emphatic advice. It is often used when asking for advice as どうすればいい?
(what is a good thing to do?)

Sentence:
合格したいのなら勉強すればいい。

たらどう(たらどうですか)
Is also used when giving advice or more like a suggestion, but it might be interpreted as rude(reproach!) because it means “what if you did…”. So use this one if someone actually asked you for an advice. Notice that unlike ばいい you are not actually saying that doing something is good. So it is more roundabout way to suggest something, you can say it is close to “try doing it, it might be fine(but I don’t really know!”.
この洋服をかってみたらどう

You can achieve similar effect of suggestion by using ば、なら、たら alone(with question tag). (very weak suggestion)
A:彼女は許してくれるかな?
B:キスしてあげるなら。。。

ほうがいい
Is the tricky one, because you should use past tense for affirmative sentences, and non-past negative for negative sentences. (actually, you CAN use non-past, it will be weaker advice, but it is not that common)
In addition, it is much stronger suggestion that other options, it is like saying you better do something(or it might end badly for you!).
So you can use it when your friend has unbalanced died, and you want to tell him, you better eat some veggies! (or something bad might happen to you, like hospitalization)

If you want to be more polite, you can use と思う、でしょうか、のではないでしょうか etc
たらどうですか。
たらどうでしょうか。
ばいいと思います。
ばいいのではないでしょうか。etc

20 Likes

Oooh thank you so much! :smiley: I’ll definitely be adding these to my notes, haha.

Actually, I won’t. Doesn’t seem like I can piggyback on the site’s code and use the same player, and coding my own player is too much of a hassle. I’ll just leave it as the HTML audio player.

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/27

All of the examples use present tense conjugation, perhaps it would be good to have a mixture of examples using negative and past tense conjugations to reinforce learning.

4 Likes

Great catch!
I will add not only negative version but a more detailed explanation of this grammar point in near future.

Quick note:
With a group of words ている doesn’t mean a progressive action, but a state.
Movement words:
来る(くる)帰る(かえる)行く(行く)
instead of coming, coming back, going will mean being at a goal of movement.
So ロンドンに来ている。 Means I am in London(I have come to London(and I am still there)) instead of I am coming to London.
ロンドンに行っている。 Means I am in London(I have gone to London(and I am still there)) instead of I am going to London.
ロンドンに帰っている。Means I am in London(I have returned to London(and not a surprise, I am still there :slight_smile: )

[If you really want to say that you are going you can use N2 grammar, つつある、行きつつある。it will appear soon]

The words that depict the change from one state from another(you can easily spot them by their English translations which include words like become, get, putetc like: become fat太る, become thin痩せる, to get fired up燃える, to get to know知る, to put on着る, to open 開ける, become になる.
So accordingly, instead of ~ing, those will mean: to be fat, to be thin, to burn, to know, to wear, something is opened, something is.

Also, there is already grammar point for past tense:
https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/136

2 Likes

Oh I see, that sense now. Thank you.