特級呪物[乙~スラ(8)]

Hey everyone! :wave:

Have you read @Chihiro’s Post about お化け and 幽霊 yet? That post led me to the topic I will be talking about today!

This post might send shivers up your spine, but not because it is spooky :wink:

This week’s word is 特級呪物(とっきゅうじゅぶつ).

Any guesses on what this word means?

It is the combination of the words 特級(とっきゅう) and 呪物(じゅぶつ).

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10-19-15 特級 意味 - Google Search

• The class higher than the best

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10-19-04 呪物 意味 - Google Search

• A sacred object, an object that is worshiped for having magical powers

This word is actually not a ‘real’ word. It comes from a popular manga series call 呪術廻戦(じゅじゅつかいせん).

For those of you who has not read or watched 呪術廻戦, it is a fantasy manga about fighting and eliminating curses and cursed spirits through the use of 呪術, incantations. In this series any item that harbors a curse is called a 呪物(じゅぶつ)or a ‘cursed item’, and any item with a strong curse is called a 特級呪物.

How is it used? :thinking:

As mentioned above, this word comes from a manga, but people on the internet took this word and started to use it with the nuance of ‘something that affects something in a negative way when interacted with/something that is extremely cursed’ or ’Something negative that shouldn’t be touched, even with a 10ft pole’.

It is very similar to how the word ‘cursed’ or ‘cringe’ is used on the internet. Because of this nuance, this will be used when talking about something that brings back someone’s (dark) past, something very negative, or something that looks very bad or ugly. Although this word could be used on people, it is very rude, due to the fact that this word uses the kanji 物 and the nuance being very negative. I would not advise you to use this on people (or do, I am not going to tell you what to do), unless it is obviously a joke!

Let’s take a look at some examples! :paintbrush:

Examples with furigana

中学生(ちゅうがくせい)時代(じだい)の日記(にっき)を読(よ)み返(かえ)してみたら、特級(とっきゅう)呪物(じゅぶつ)すぎて草(くさ)も生(は)えんかった。
When I re-read the diary I kept when I was in middle school, it was so cringey (cursed) that it was not even funny.

あんなのと付(つ)き合(あ)ってたの?あいつ色(いろ)んな意味(いみ)で特級(とっきゅう)呪物(じゅぶつ)じゃん。すげーなお前(まえ)。
You went out with that (person)? That person is ‘cursed’ in so many different ways. You amaze me.

ちょ、何(なん)で俺(おれ)を特級(とっきゅう)呪物(じゅぶつ)扱(あつか)いするの。
Wait a sec, why are you treating me like a curse?

先月(せんげつ)炎上(えんじょう)した有名(ゆうめい)配信者(はいしんしゃ)の過去(かこ)投稿(とうこう)はもはや特級(とっきゅう)呪物(じゅぶつ)だ。
The past posts made by the popular streamer that went up in flames is now like a special curse.

なんかこのマフィンまずいなと思(おも)ったら、ネットで特級(とっきゅう)呪物(じゅぶつ)扱(あつか)いされてて笑ったわ。
I thought something was wrong with this muffin, but I laughed when I saw it being treated as a special curse on the Internet.

先週(せんしゅう)マッチングアプリで知(し)り合(あ)った女(おんな)の子(こ)に会(あ)ったけど写真(しゃしん)が詐欺(さぎ)すぎた。顔(かお)が特級(とっきゅう)呪物(じゅぶつ)級(きゅう)すぎた。
Last week I met up with a girl I met on a dating app, and I got cat fished. Her face was super cursed (extremely ugly).

中学生時代の日記を読み返してみたら、特級呪物すぎて草も生えんかった。
When I re-read the diary I kept when I was in middle school, it was so cursed that it was not even funny.

あんなのと付き合ってたの?あいつ色んな意味で特級呪物じゃん。すげーなお前。
You went out with that (person)? That person is ‘cursed’ in so many different ways. You amaze me.

ちょ、何で俺を特級呪物扱いするの。
Wait a sec, why are you treating me like a curse?

先月炎上した有名配信者の過去投稿はもはや特級呪物だ。
The past posts made by the popular streamer that went up in flames is now like a special curse.

なんかこのマフィンまずいなと思ったら、ネットで特級呪物扱いされてて笑ったわ。
I thought something was wrong with this muffin, but I laughed when I saw it being treated as a special curse on the Internet.

先週マッチングアプリで知り合った女の子似合ったけど写真が詐欺すぎた。顔が特級呪物級すぎた。
Last week I met up with a girl I met on a dating app, and I got cat fished. Her face was super cursed (extremely ugly).

As you can see from these examples, this word can be used in so many situations to emphasize that something is extremely bad, but because of the nuance and the kanji used, using it on people could sound very mean/demeaning so I would not advise you to use it to strangers.

Since this slang is on the newer side compared to the other one’s I’ve posted so far, you may be able to impress your Japanese friends or teachers if you use it!

You might be thinking, ‘Hey, wait a minute, this post didn’t send shivers down my spine! You lied!’.
Well, that is because this post isn’t what was supposed to send shivers down your spines, it’s your 特級呪物 that sometimes keeps you up at night, or that 特級呪物 from your past that pops into your head without warning and makes you cringe.

ratatouille-flashback

Fun-fact :nerd_face::

If you go to Mercari and search 呪物 you will find many cursed/haunted items! So If you are interested in acquiring such items, I recommend you to check it out!

俺が子供の頃にSNSが今みたいに普及していたら、絶対特級呪物級の投稿だらけだったと思う。今ではMySpace と Facebookにあまり興味がなくてよかったと思ってる。

:shorts:Fuga :shorts:

If you missed the previous posts, you can check them out here!

Previous posts

草[乙~スラ(1)]
2ちゃんねる[乙~スラ(2)]
乙[乙~スラ(3)]
ワンチャン[乙~スラ(4)]
炎上[乙~スラ(5)]
飛ぶぞ[乙~スラ(6)]
今北産業[乙~スラ(7)]

10 Likes