する事?すること? [どっちシリーズ その16]

こんにちは!急に寒くなりましたね。我が家では昨日から電気ストーブをつけ始めました。秋よ、あなたは一体どこへ消えてしまったのですか? :sob:

さて、今日は、漢字の「事」とひらがなの「こと」の使い分け方についてお話しようと思います。初めにお伝えしておくと、これは絶対に守らなければならないルールではありません。ただ、文章の読みやすさを向上させるために、公文書を作成する機関や報道機関などで設けられた公式なルールです。

では、このルールに従った場合、「その映画は見た事がない」と「その映画は見たことがない」では、どちらが正しいとされているのでしょうか?

「事」と「こと」、どうやって使い分ける? :face_with_monocle:

上記の場合、後者の「こと」が正解です。理由は、この「こと」が、それ単独では明確な意味を持たない形式名詞だからです。例文の「見たこと」は、「見た」という動詞が「こと」という名詞を修飾してできています。このように、「こと」が抽象的な内容の場合、一般的にひらがなで表記されます。

一方で、「事」は実質名詞と呼ばれます。これは主にそれ単独で意味をなす、具体的な事件や出来事に対して使われます。

いくつかの例を見てみましょう!

:point_right: こと

• 私の趣味は、日本語の本を読むことです。
  • できることなら、南の島に移住したい。
  • 私が今、調べている(という)ことは秘密だ。(調べるという行為をしていること)
  • 考えることをやめてはいけない。(考えるという行為をすること)

:point_right:

• 事の発端は、友人の何気ない一言でした。
  • 事と次第によっては、次の出張は延期になるかもしれない。
  • 私が今、調べている事は秘密だ。(調べている内容)
  • 今日は一日中、考え事をしています。(考えること、またその内容を指す名詞)

「事」の使用例を見ると、決まった言い回しが多いように見えます。「事の発端」は、「実際の出来事のきっかけ」という意味、「事と次第によっては」は「具体的な事実や経緯によっては」という意味の定型表現です。また、考え事、悩み事、願い事、習い事のように、もともと一つの単語として扱われている名詞にも「事」が使われていますね。

しかし、それが具体的なのか抽象的なのかは、その人の感覚や状況によるところもあり、必ずしもはっきりと区別できるものではありません。そういう場合、特にこだわりがない限り、迷ったときはひらがな表記にしましょう、というのが一般的に行われるアドバイスです。

あえて漢字で書くとき、ひらがなで書くとき :writing_hand:

ひらがなで書くのが一般的な場合に、あえて漢字で書くこともあります。例えば、文章を硬くしたいとき、漢字を使った方が読みやすいとき、または文字数に制限があるとき、などです。

逆に言えば、文章を柔らかくしたいとき、ひらがなを使った方が読みやすいとき、文字数を稼ぎたいとき(レポートなんかでよく使う手です笑)は、あえてひらがなを使うという方法もあります。

読みやすいのは、漢字とひらがなのバランスがうまく取れている文章です。一般的に、「漢字3割、ひらがな7割」がちょうどいいバランスとされています。

• 漢字多め:今度、此処に子供を連れて来る事にした。
  • ひらがなのみ:こんど、ここにこどもをつれてくることにした。
  • 一般的:今度、ここに子どもを連れてくることにした。

ちなみに、カタカナも含めると、「漢字2割、ひらがな7割、カタカナ1割」が読みやすいバランスだと言われています。

• カタカナ多め:新プロジェクトのスタートにあたり、各クライアントとのミーティングはマストであることをチームでシェアした。

• 漢字多め:新規事業の開始に当たり、各顧客との打ち合わせは必須で有る事をチームで共有した。

• ひらがな多め:あたらしいプロジェクトをはじめるにあたり、それぞれのクライアントとのうちあわせは必須であることをチームで共有した。

• バランスを意識:新しいプロジェクトを始めるにあたり、それぞれの顧客との打ち合わせは必須であることをチームで共有した。

事以外の形式名詞 :maple_leaf:

このように、実質名詞と形式名詞によって漢字とひらがなで使い分けられる言葉は「事」と「こと」だけではありません。ほかにも、「時」と「とき」、「所」と「ところ」、「訳」と「わけ」、「物」と「もの」などがあります。

• 時が経つ。(時間を指す実質名詞)
  • そのとき、私は団子を食べていた。(状況・場合を指すときは、形式名詞)
  • ここは、私が生まれた所です。(場所や位置を指す実質名詞)
  • ちょうど仕事を始めるところだった。(場所や位置を指すとき以外は、形式名詞)
  • いたずらをした訳を説明してください。(理由を指す実質名詞)
  • ここで投げ出すわけにはいかない。(理由という意味が薄れた場合、形式名詞)
  • これは高価な物だから、金庫に入れておこう。(物理的な物体を指す実質名詞)
  • 寿司は醤油につけて食べるものだ。(物理的な物を指さない場合、形式名詞)

昔の小説を読むと、漢字がたくさん使われていますし、やはり一人一人にスタイルはあれど、こういうルールもあるということで、今後、日本語で文章を読んだり書いたりするときの参考になれば幸いです。

季節の変わり目は風邪をひきやすいので、皆さまご自愛くださいませ。それではまた来週〜!千絢 :smiley_cat:

English

Hi! It has suddenly become cold here. We started using the electronic heater at home today. Hey autumn, where have you disappeared to? :sob:

Today, I’d like to talk about how to use the kanji 事 and the hiragana こと. First, I’d like to mention that this is not a rule we must always follow, but there are official guidelines set for official documents or articles of media articles etc. to ensure better readability.

So, if we follow these rules, which is correct: その映画は見た事がない or その映画は見たことがない?

How to use 事 and こと? :face_with_monocle:

The correct answer is the latter, こと. This is because こと is 形式名詞, without a clear meaning on its own. In the example, 見たこと, the verb 見た modifies the noun こと. When こと is abstract, it’s usually written in hiragana.

On the other hand, 事 is called 実質名詞. It’s typically used for specific events or occurrences with meaning.

Let’s look at some examples!

:point_right: こと

• 私の趣味は、日本語の本を読むことです。
    My hobby is reading Japanese books.

• できることなら、南の島に移住したい。
    If possible, I want to move to a tropical island.

• 私が今、調べている(という)ことは秘密だ。
    The fact that I am looking into it now is a secret.

• 考えることをやめてはいけない。
    You must not stop thinking. (The act of thinking)

:point_right:

• 事の発端は、友人の何気ない一言でした。
    It all started with a casual comment from a friend.

• 事と次第によっては、次の出張は延期になるかもしれない。
    Depending on the circumstances, the next business trip may be postponed.

• 私が今、調べている事は秘密だ。
    The contents I am researching now are confidential.

• 今日は一日中、考え事をしています。
    I have been thinking all day today. (考え事 refers to the act of thinking and its content)

Looking at how 事 is used, there are many fixed phrases. 事の発端 means ‘a trigger of an actual event’, and 事と次第によっては means ‘depending on specific facts or circumstances,’ and both are common set expressions. 事 is also used in words like 考え事 (thinking), 悩み事 (worry), 願い事 (wish), 習い事 (lesson), which are treated as single nouns.

But… whether something is concrete or abstract can depend on personal perception or context and may not always be clearly distinguishable. When you’re unsure, the general advice is to use hiragana unless unless you have a preference.

When to write in kanji or hiragana on purpose :writing_hand:

Even when writing in hiragana is common, there are times when you might choose to write in kanji intentionally. For example, when you want to make a sentence sound more stiff, when kanji makes it easier to read, or when there is a word limit.

Conversely, when you want to soften a sentence, when hiragana is easier to read, or when you to increase the word count (often used in writing reports haha), you might choose to use hiragana on purpose.

The most readable sentences have a good balance of kanji and hiragana. Generally, ‘30% kanji and 70%’ hiragana is considered a good balance.

• More kanji:今度、此処に子供を連れて来る事にした。

• Only hiragana:こんど、ここにこどもをつれてくることにした。

• Standard:今度、ここに子どもを連れてくることにした。

Translated: Next time, I’ll bring the kids here.

Including katakana, ‘20% kanji, 70% hiragana, and 10% katakana’ is thought to be the best balance.

• More katakana:新プロジェクトのスタートにあたり、各クライアントとのミーティングはマストであることをチームでシェアした。

• More kanji:新規事業の開始に当たり、各顧客との打ち合わせは必須で有る事をチームで共有した。

• More hiragana:あたらしいプロジェクトをはじめるにあたり、それぞれのクライアントとのうちあわせは必須であることをチームで共有した。

• Balanced:新しいプロジェクトの開始にあたり、それぞれの顧客との打ち合わせは必須であることをチームで共有した。

Translated: The team shared that meetings with each client were essential to start the new project.

形式名詞 besides 事 :maple_leaf:

Words that differ in kanji and hiragana due to 実質名詞 or 形式名詞 are not limited to 事 and こと. Others include 時 and とき, 所 and ところ, 訳 and わけ, 物 and もの, and so on.

• 時が経つ。
    Time passes. (実質名詞 referring to time)

• そのとき、私は団子を食べていた。
    At that time, I was eating dango. (When referring to situations or cases, it’s 形式名詞)

• ここは、私が生まれた所です。
    This is the place where I was born. (実質名詞 referring to a location or position)

• ちょうど仕事を始めるところだった。
    I was just about to start work. (When not referring to a location or position, it’s 形式名詞)

• いたずらをした訳を説明してください。
    Please explain the reason for your mischief. (実質名詞 referring to a reason)

• ここで投げ出すわけにはいかない。
    I can’t give up here. (When the meaning of ‘reason’ is diminished, it’s 形式名詞)

• これは高価な物だから、金庫に入れておこう。
    This is an expensive item, so let’s put it in the safe. (実質名詞 referring to a physical object)

• 寿司は醤油につけて食べるものだ。
    Sushi is something that you dip in soy sauce to eat. (When not referring to a physical object, it’s 形式名詞)

When reading old novels, you will notice that a lot of kanji are used, and everyone has their own writing style, however, by recognizing these rules, I hope this can be used as a reference for reading and writing in Japanese in the future.

It is easy to catch a cold during the change of seasons, so please take good care of yourselves. See you next week! From Chihiro :smiley_cat:

過去の投稿/Previous posts
9 Likes

Thank you for another very interesting post. I definitely find it easier to read sentences that have that blend of the different characters. As someone with limited vocabulary, some children’s books written purely in hiragana can be very difficult to read, ‘parsing’ the sentences without kanji is much trickier I find.

3 Likes

Thank you for leaving your comment! I remember that elementary school textbooks have spaces between the breaks in sentences, otherwise it cab be tricky to read as you said.