これは恋?それとも愛?[どっちシリーズ その6]

[English below]

こんにちは!皆さんいかがお過ごしですか?こちらは毎日蒸し暑く、まるで天然サウナの中にいるようです。ところで先日、キーラ・ナイトレイ主演の映画『アンナ・カレーニナ』を見たのですが、アンナが不倫関係にあるヴロンスキーに「これが愛ね」と言っているのを見て「この時点では、愛じゃなくて恋と呼ぶ方が相応しくないか」としばらく考え込んでしまいました :joy: それは私が、なんと言いますか、相手に激しく惹かれている状態は恋で、関係が深まり相手に対する温かな気持ちが芽生えたら愛と言えると考えていたからでしょう。映画の中のアンナはまだヴロンスキーとの関係が浅く、恋の段階にあるように見えたのです。

性的な好意を表す一般的な言葉である「愛」と「恋」、皆さんはこの二つをどう使い分けていますか?これは人によって答えが異なる哲学的な問いにもなりえますが、今回はこの二つを探ってみたいと思います!

「愛」と「恋」のちがい :face_with_monocle:

両者についてまずは辞書の定義を見てみましょう。大辞林(三省堂)には以下のようにあります。

• 愛:(性愛の対象として)特定の人をいとしいと思う心。互いに相手を慕う情。恋。
  • 恋:特定の人に強く惹かれること。また、切ないまでに深く思いを寄せること。恋愛。

上記から、愛は穏やかなもの、恋は激しいもの、という感じが伝わってきます。巷でも「ドキドキするのが恋、安心するのが愛」と言われるように、愛は持続的な深い感情で安定した状態、恋は強烈で刺激的だが一時的な感情で不安定な状態、というのが一般的な感覚ではないかと思います。

この二つは、する動詞にもなります。「愛する」は「あなたを愛する」のように格助詞の「を」を使います。一方で「恋する」は「あなたに恋する」と「あなたを恋する」のどちらも文法として正しいのですが、格助詞「に」を使う方が一般的です。この「に」の用法は、かつての日本人が、恋を「相手を求める」ではなく「相手に惹かれる」という受け身の行為だと見なしていたことを示しているのだそう。エーリッヒ・フロムは「愛は与えるもの」と言ってたし、愛は能動的なもので、恋は「相手の魅力に吸い込まれる」という意味で受動的なものだと対照化することもできそうです。

明治時代の「愛」と「恋」 :love_letter:

ところで、現在では二つ並べ比べられることの多い「愛」と「恋」ですが、それぞれ異なる歴史を辿ってきました。

「愛」が現在の意味を持つようになったのは、明治時代のことです。それまでの日本は200年ほど鎖国していましたが、明治時代に開国すると一転、近代国家を作るために西洋の概念を輸入し始めます。新しい概念にはそれに対応する新しい言葉が必要でした。そこで「個人」や「社会」などの多くの翻訳語が創造されたのですが、その中で当時の知識人たちは LOVE をどう訳すかという課題に直面します。

当時の日本では、「恋」や「色」などが性的な好意を表現するために使われていました。しかし、これらは男性が結婚後も遊郭に通い妻以外の女性と関係を持つことが公然と認められていたとんでもない当時の日本社会において、男性と遊女の肉体的な関係を強く連想させる言葉だったようです。一方、「愛」は仏教用語として「執着」を意味する否定的な言葉として使われていました。

明治の知識人たちは、LOVE という言葉に、対等な立場の相手を「深い魂から愛する」という意味合いを感じ、それを肉体ではなく精神を重視した理想的な概念と捉えました。そのような神聖な LOVE に「恋」や「色」のような下品な言葉を当てるわけにはいかず、しばらくは「らあぶ」と表記することもありましたが、次第にキリスト教を信仰する人々が中心となり「愛」を LOVE の訳語として使い始めました。「愛」の対象は親子や兄弟と広いので、性愛に特化した「恋愛」という翻訳語も新たに作られました。現実は理想とかけ離れてはいましたが、男女平等という理想を掲げた「愛」と「恋愛」の誕生と広がりは、明治時代の日本において画期的なことだったようです。

現代の「愛」と「恋」 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

現在、「恋」という名詞は日常的に、しかも時に純粋さを伴う肯定的な意味で使われます。その理由を考えるに、日本でも当時と比べて男女平等が進んで遊郭や遊女という言葉が日常から消え、「恋」にまとわりついていた肉的な印象が薄れたから、または「恋」は新造語だった「恋愛」よりも短くて言いやすく、さらに和語なのでもともと日本人の魂のより深いところに届きやすい言葉だったから、あたりでしょうか。

一方で、「愛」は明治時代に与えられた神聖さを受け継いでいるように思えます。これも一般に浸透しているとはいえ、一段高いところにある重さのある言葉なので、普段から使う人はほぼいないと思われます。特に動詞の場合、相手に愛情を伝えるために「愛してる」と言ったり言われたりすることがしっくりこない人も少なくないです。私の場合(パートナーは日本語母語者ではないので事情が異なり最適な例を示せず恐縮ですが)例えば家族の誰かから「愛してる」と言われた日には、「不治の病にでも罹ったのか? :fearful:」と心配になるでしょう :sweat_smile: こうなるのは、そもそも「愛」が輸入された概念だからじゃないかと思っています。「愛」が完全に日本語・日本社会に馴染むまでにはまだ時間が必要なのかもしれません。

というわけで、なんだかいつもより長くなってしまいましたが、今回もお読みくださりありがとうございました!愛を込めて、千絢より :smiley_cat:

English

Hello! How are you all doing? Here, it’s deadly hot and humid every day, it feels like we’re in a natural sauna.

Recently, I watched the movie ‘Anna Karenina’ starring Keira Knightley. In one scene, Anna says to Vronsky, with whom she is having an affair, ‘This is love.’ Watching this, I thought, ‘Hm, at this stage, isn’t it more appropriate to call it 恋 rather than 愛?’ :sweat_smile: I guess that’s because, in my view, being intensely attracted to someone is 恋, while when the relationship deepens and warm feelings of care develop, it becomes 愛. In the movie, Anna’s relationship with Vronsky seemed to be still shallow, in the stage of 恋.

In Japanese, words like 愛 and 恋 are commonly used to describe romantic sexual love. How do you use these two words? This can be a philosophical question with different answers for different people, but today, I would like to explore the differences between these two words!

The Differences Between 愛 and 恋 :face_with_monocle:

First, let’s look at the dictionary definitions. According to 大辞林 (published by 三省堂), the definitions are as follows:

• 愛: The feeling of cherishing a particular person as a target of sexual affection. Mutual affection between partners. 恋.
  • 恋: The strong attraction to a particular person. Also, the deep feelings of being enamored almost to the point of pain. 恋愛.

The above conveys that 愛 is something calm, while 恋 is something intense. As the popular saying goes, ‘恋 makes your heart race, and 愛 gives you peace,’ I think it’s a common and widespread understanding that 愛 is a lasting, deep and stable emotion, and that 恋 is an intense and exciting but temporary emotion that can be unstable.

Both words can be used as verbs as well. 愛してる is commonly used with the case-marking particle を, as in あなたを愛する (I love you). On the other hand, 恋する is grammatically correct with both に and を, but に is more commonly used, like あなたに恋する (I have a crush on you/I’m in love with you). This use of に reflects a historical view in Japan that 恋 was seen as a passive action of being attracted to someone, rather than actively desiring someone. As Erich Fromm said, ‘Love is an act of giving,’ so 愛 can be seen as the active act, while 恋 is the passive act of being drawn in by the other person’s charm.

The History of 愛 and 恋 in the Meiji Era :love_letter:

Nowadays, 愛 and 恋 are often compared like above, but they have different historical backgrounds.

The concept of 愛 as we use it today was formed in the Meiji era. Japan had been isolated from the world for about 200 years, but when the country opened up in the Meiji era, it began to import Western concepts to build a modern nation. New concepts required new words. A lot of coined translations like 個人 (individual) and 社会 (society) were created, and the translation of LOVE was one of the challenges for intellectuals.

In Japan at that time, words like 恋 and 色 were used to express romantic sexual affection, but these words were strongly associated with the physical relationships between a man and a 遊女 (prostitute) in the outrageous Japanese society of the time, where it was openly permitted for men to continue visiting 遊郭 (Yukaku, a red-light-district) and having affairs with women other than their wives even after marriage. Meanwhile, 愛 as a Buddhist term meant 執着 (obsession) in a negative nuance.

Meiji intellectuals perceived LOVE as conveying 'to love from the deepest soul’ between equals, and saw it as an ideal concept that values spiritual connection over physical. For a while, the word 愛 was sometimes written as らあぶ because it was impossible to apply vulgar words like 恋 or 色 to a sacred term LOVE, but eventually, Christians began to use the word 愛 as a translation for LOVE. Since 愛 covers a wide range of relationships like parent-child and sibling love, the term 恋愛 (romantic love) was created to specify romantic sexual relationship. Although the reality was far from ideal, the birth and spread of 愛 and 恋愛, with the ideal of gender equality, was revolutionary for Japan during the era.

愛 and 恋 as of today :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The noun 恋 is now used in everyday life and often in a positive, even pure sense. The reason might be because gender equality has progressed in Japan compared to the past, and words like 遊郭 and 遊女 have faded from everyday use. This has diminished the physical connotations that used to associate to the word 恋. Or it’s because, 恋 is shorter and easier to say than the neologism 恋愛 and being a word of Japanese origin, it might resonate more deeply with the Japanese soul.

On the other hand, 愛 seems to still carry the sacredness given during the Meiji era. While widely understood, it’s a heavy word that is one step higher, rarely used casually. In particular, some people find it uncomfortable to say or hear 愛してる to convey their affection to someone. In my case (my partner is not a native Japanese speaker, so the situation is different and I am afraid I cannot give you the best example), for example, the day someone in my family says 愛してる to me, I would think, ‘Did you get an incurable disease? :fearful:’ and get worried :sweat_smile: It’s possibly because 愛 is an imported concept, and it might take more time for 愛 to be fully acclimated in Japanese language and society.

So, this post has become longer than usual, but thank you for reading! With love, Chihiro :smiley_cat:

過去の投稿/Previous posts
6 Likes

I love it! Gaining some cultural knowledge :muscle:t2:

2 Likes