お化けと幽霊 👻🪦 [どっちシリーズ その4]

[English below]

こんにちは!今日も日本語の勉強お疲れ様です!暑さの厳しい7月の後半、寝苦しい夜も多いことでしょう。そんな夏の暑さにやられている皆さんに一つ提案です。日本の怪談で涼んでみるのはいかがでしょうか? :grin:

怪談とは、お化けや幽霊が登場する怖い話のこと。日本で有名な怪談といえば、夫に裏切られた小岩さんが復讐する『東海道四谷怪談』や、奉公先で家宝のお皿を一枚割ってしまい井戸に身投げしたお菊さんの『番町皿屋敷』などでしょう。どちらも怖くて背筋がぞくっとして、体が冷えるかも?

さて、今回はそんな怪談の主役、「お化け」と「幽霊」の違いを見ていきましょう!

お化けと幽霊 :ghost:

お化けは、得体の知れないものや本来とは異なる姿に化けているものの総称です。お化けは、名詞の「化け(化けること)」に美化語の「お」をつけた言い方です。妖怪などの民間伝承の生き物を含んだり、以下の幽霊の意味で使われたり、広い意味を持っています。

幽霊は、この世に未練を抱え、成仏できずにこの世に現れた死者の霊です。大抵、恨みや妬みを持っています。前述の小岩さんやお菊さんはこの定義にぴったりで、どちらも「幽霊」と呼ぶのが適切でしょう。

ちなみに、民俗学者である柳田国男は、お化けは早朝か夕方に決まった場所に出没して、その場にいる誰かを脅かすもの、幽霊は真夜中に現れて、恨みがある人をどこまでも追いかけていくもの、という説を唱えているようです。

お化けと幽霊を比喩的に使うと? :eyes:

お化けと幽霊は、前述の意味から離れて、比喩的に使われることがあります。

• お化け:普通より大きいものや飛び抜けているものを指します。例えば、お化けかぼちゃは、普通よりはるかに大きなかぼちゃのことです。

• 幽霊:存在感がなく、はっきりしない人やものを指します。例えば、幽霊部員は部活に所属はしていても全く姿を見せない部員、幽霊会社は登記はしているが実態が不明な会社を意味します。

この二つが比喩的に使われると、お化けは目立つもの、幽霊は目立たないものと、正反対になるところが面白いですね :laughing:

夏と怪談の関係 :tanabata_tree: :milky_way:

日本では、怪談は夏の風物詩です。夏になると、テレビではよくホラー番組が放送されます。しかし、夏と怪談が結びつくようになったのは、江戸時代のことのようです。当時、庶民の娯楽として芝居が人気でしたが、夏は暑くて芝居小屋に観客が集まりませんでした。そこで、若手の俳優たちが考え出したのが、怖い話の芝居を打つことでした。これが珍しさゆえに人気となり、夏に怪談話をする習慣が広まったようです。また、日本ではもともと、夏は死者の霊魂がこの世に帰ってくる季節なので、その点でも夏と怪談は自然と結びつきやすかったのでしょう。

・・・と、お化けと幽霊についてここまで書いてきましたが、実は私は怖い話が苦手で、普段は避けています :rofl: ですが、子どもの頃は大好きで、夏休みに祖父母の家に遊びに行くと、祖父が毎晩寝る前に日本の怪談を語り聞かせてくれました。そんなわけで、夏の怪談は私にとって特別なものであります。

では、皆さんも怪談でひやっと涼んで、暑い夏を乗り切りましょう〜!千絢 :smiley_cat:

English

Hello everyone! Otsukaresama for studying Japanese today! It’s late July and the heat is intense, making it hard to sleep at night. For those of you suffering from the summer heat, I have a suggestion. How about cooling down with some Japanese ghost stories? :laughing:

Ghost stories, known in Japan as ‘kaidan,’ are scary tales featuring ‘obake’ and ‘yurei.’ Famous Japanese kaidan are ‘Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan’ where a woman named Oiwa seeks revenge after being betrayed by her husband, and ‘Bancho Sarayashiki’ where a maid named Okiku throws herself into a well after breaking a precious plate of the house. Both are truly scary and give you chills, cooling your body down.

Now, let’s take a look at the difference between ‘Obake’ and ‘Yurei,’ appearing in ghost stories!

Obake vs Yurei :ghost:

Obake refers to something mysterious or something that has transformed into a different shape. The word ‘obake’ comes from the word ‘bake’ (to transform) with the honorific ‘o’ attached. It can include creatures from folklore (also known as yokai) and has a broad meaning that sometimes includes the concept of yurei.

Yurei are the spirits of the deceased who appear in this world because they leave regrets and cannot rest in peace. They usually have feelings of grudges or jealousy. The earlier-mentioned Oiwa-san and Okiku-san fit this definition perfectly and should be called ‘yurei.’

Folk scholar Kunio Yanagita says that obake usually appear in fixed places at dawn or dusk to scare people, while yūrei appear at midnight, seeking revenge on those they hold grudges against, even chasing them forever.

Metaphorical Use of Obake and Yurei :eyes:

Obake and yurei are also used in metaphorical ways, different from their original meanings.

• Obake: Refers to something unusually large or outstanding. For example, ‘obake kabocha’ means a pumpkin that is much bigger than normal.
  • Yurei: Refers to something or someone with little or no presence. For example, ‘yurei buin’ refers to a club member who is registered but never appears, and ‘yurei gaisha’ is a company that is registered but has no real activities.

It is interesting that when used metaphorically, obake refers to something noticeable while yurei refers to something not noticeable, making them opposites :laughing:

Summer and Ghost Stories in Japan :tanabata_tree: :milky_way:

In Japan, ghost stories are a summer tradition. In the summer, you often see horror shows on TV. However, this tradition started in the Edo period. Back then, theater plays were popular entertainment among common people, but in summer, audiences wouldn’t come to theaters as it was too hot. So, young actors devised the idea of performing ghost stories. These plays became popular for their novelty, and the custom of telling ghost stories in summer spread. Also, traditionally, summer in Japan is believed to be the time when spirits of the deceased return to this world, so it is likely that summer and ghost stories were naturally linked with each other.

Now, after talking about Obake and Yurei, I must admit that I’m terrified of ghost stories and usually avoid those :rofl: But when I was a child, I loved them. During summer vacations at my grandparents’ house, my grandfather would tell me Japanese ghost stories every night before bed. So, kaidan in summer is special to me.

Let’s cool down this summer with some Japanese ghost stories and survive the heat together! From Chihiro :smiley_cat:

過去の投稿/Previous posts
12 Likes

Thanks for these posts, they’re always an interesting read (and also quite challenging, but not impossible, thanks to Yomitan :D)

1 Like

面白い! ありがとうございます!!

1 Like

I read this right before bed and in my dream I was going through neighborhoods wondering why everyone had Halloween decorations up in the middle of summer :joy: and in the dream I remembered your post and I’m like “ohhhh yeah no that makes sense :thinking: obake”

There was even an obake skeleton creature being a pest. That thing was huuuuge :rofl:

Always enjoy your posts thank you ฅ⁠^⁠•⁠ﻌ⁠•⁠^⁠ฅ

1 Like

Thank you for reading! I’m glad to know you enjoyed it. I’ll keep doing my best to write articles that you will find interesting. (Arigato, Yomitan :D)

こちらこそ読んでいただきありがとうございます!コメントも嬉しいです :relaxed::ghost:

Hahaha, that’s a funny dream :joy: The thing is truly an ‘obake’… I’m happy that my post didn’t give you a ghost nightmare! I’m glad you enjoy my posts! (ฅ⁠^⁠•⁠ﻌ⁠•⁠^⁠ฅ ← wait, this cat is so cute…)

1 Like