何の読み方。なにかな?なんだろう?[どっちシリーズ その7]

[English below]

こんにちは、皆さんいかがお過ごしですか?こちらは先週、我が家で甥っ子の誕生日を祝いました。四歳になりおしゃべりが加速し、何かにつけて「何で何で攻撃」を仕掛けてきます。誕生日プレゼントには何をあげるか迷いましたが、甥っ子は虫が大好きなので、来週末、虫捕りキャンプに連れていくことにしました :beetle::camping: 何匹見つけられるかなあ。私は虫が苦手ですが、何とか頑張ります :muscle:

さて、上記に登場した「何」、どれくらい読むことができましたか?(答えはこの記事の最後に!)
「何」の読み方については既にご存じの方も多いとは思うのですが、フィードバックでたまに質問される内容でもあるので、今回のテーマにしたいと思います!

「なに」と「なん」、基本ルール :honeybee:

「何」の本来の読み方は「なに (nani)」で、「なん (nan)」は口語で発音しやすいように変化したものです。読み方の原則には二つあります。

一つめは、意味による区別です。「なに」は「どのような」という意味で、内容を表すために使われます。一方で「なん」は、数を表すために使われます。この場合、「なに」は後ろに名詞、「なん」は後ろに助数詞を伴います。例えば:

なに:何者(なにもの)、何料理(なにりょうり)、何時代(なにじだい)、何事(なにごと)
なん:何回(なんかい)、何個(なんこ)、何度(なんど)、何日(なんにち)

中には、同じ漢字を使っていても読み方によって意味が変わってしまう組み合わせもあるので注意です。例えば:

何県
日本で一番人口が少ないのは何県(なにけん)ですか?→人口が最少の県の名前を聞く。
九州には全部で何県(なんけん)ありますか?→九州にある県の数を聞く。

何色
あなたは何色(なにいろ)が好きですか?→どの色が好きか、色の種類を聞く。
この箱には何色(なんしょく)の色鉛筆が入っていますか?→色の数を聞く。

二つめは、音による区別です。何の後ろに来る語の音が、タ行(た、ち、つ、て、と)、ダ行(だ、ぢ、づ、で、ど)、ナ行(な、に、ぬ、ね、の)のいずれかで始まる場合は「なん」と読み、それ以外は「なに」と読むことが多いです。例えば:

なん
Aさん「えっと、この漢字は何(なん)て読むんだっけ?
Bさん「何(なん)の話?あ、これはね、「なん」と読むんだよ。」
Aさん「何(なん)だ、簡単じゃないか。」

なに
Aさん「何(なに)から何(なに)までありがとうございました。」
Bさん「何(なに)もしていませんよ。」
Aさん「いつか、何(なに)かの形でお返しさせてください。」

改まった「なに」と砕けた「なん」 :butterfly:

上記は基本ルールで、ここから番外編に入りましょう。
「なに」と「なん」は丁寧さによって使い分けられることもあります。「なに」の方がより丁寧で、「なん」の方がより砕けた言い方です。この場合、後に続く語がタ行、ダ行、ナ行以外から始まる場合でも「なん」と言うことがあります。例えば:

何(なに)か欲しいものはありますか?(丁寧)
何(なん)か欲しいものある?(カジュアル)

あの、この呪文は何(なに)に効くのでしょうか?(丁寧)
ねえ、この呪文は何(なん)に効くの?(カジュアル)

金メダルは確実ですよ。何(なに)せこのチームにはベテランしかいませんからね。(丁寧)
金メダルは確実だよ。何(なん)せこのチームにはベテランしかいないからね。(カジュアル)

また、そのほかに注意したい言葉に「なんで」があります。「なんで」には、理由を聞く意味と手段を聞く意味があります。理由を聞くときは「なんで」としか言いませんが、手段を聞くときは「なにで」と、より砕けた「なんで」の両方が使えます。しかし、「なんでこれを作ったのですか?」と言われると、理由か手段のどちらを聞かれているのかすぐにわからずに困ってしまいます。そのため、基本的には理由の場合は「なんで」、手段の場合は「なにで」を使う方が誤解を避けられてよいでしょう :ok_hand:

今回もお読みくださりありがとうございました!では、また来週〜!千絢 :smiley_cat:

解答 :100:

• 何かにつけて:なにかにつけて
  • 何で:なんで
  • 何を:なにを
  • 何匹:なんびき
  • 何とか:なんとか
English

Hello everyone, how are you doing?

Last week, we celebrated my nephew’s birthday at our house. He turned four this year and he is getting more and more talkative. He launches ’why-why attacks’ at anything and everything. I was unsure what to give him for his birthday, but since he loves insects, I decided to take him on a bug-hunting and camping trip next weekend. I wonder how many beetles we will find. I’m not a fan of insects, but I’ll do my best.

Now, regarding the 何 mentioned in Japanese version above, how much of it could you read? (The answer is at the end of this article!)
Many of you might already know about the different readings of 何, but since it’s a common question in feedbacks, I’ve decided to make it our topic for today!

General Rules for Reading 何 :honeybee:

The original reading of 何 is ‘nani,’ but to make it easier to pronounce, it can change to ‘nan.’ There are two main rules for reading.

First, it can be distinguished by meaning. ‘Nani’ is used to mean ‘what kind of,’ for describing content, while ‘nan’ is used to mean ‘how many’ for indicating numbers. In this case, ‘nani’ is followed by a noun, and ‘nan’ is followed by a counter.

Nani : 何者 (nani mono) - what kind of person, 何料理 (naniryouri) - what cuisine, 何時代 (nani jidai) - what era, 何事 (nani goto) - what, anything, everything, etc.

Nan: 何回 (nankai) - how many times, 何個 (nanko) - how many pics, 何度 (nando) - how many degrees, 何日 (nan nichi) - what day/how many days, etc.

Please note that the meaning can change depending on the reading. For example:

何県

• 日本で一番人口が少ないのは何県(nani ken)ですか?
    What is the prefecture with the smallest population in Japan?
    →Asking the name of the prefecture with the smallest population.

• 九州には全部で何県(nan ken)ありますか?
    How many prefectures are there in Kyushu?
    →Asking the number of prefectures in Kyushu.

何色

• あなたは何色(nani iro)が好きですか?
    What color do you like?
    →Asking which colors they like.

• この箱には何色(nan shoku)の色鉛筆が入っていますか?
    How many colors of colored pencils are in this box?
    →Asking how many colors are in this box.

The second principle is distinguishing by sound. When the word following ‘何’ starts with the sounds ‘t’, ‘n’, or ‘d’, it’s often read as ‘nan.’ Otherwise, it’s often read as ‘nani.’ For example:

Nan:
Aさん「えっと、この漢字は何(なん)て読むんだっけ?」
Bさん「何(なん)の話?あ、これはね、「なん」と読むんだよ。」
Aさん「何(なん)だ、簡単じゃないか。」

A-san ‘Eh, what’s the reading of this kanji?’
B-san ‘What are you talking about? Oh, you know, it’s read as ‘.nan’’
A-san ‘Oh, I see. It’s easy.’

Nani:
Aさん「何(なに)から何(なに)までありがとうございました。」
Bさん「何(なに)もしていませんよ。」
Aさん「いつか、何(なに)かの形でお返しさせてください。」

A-san ‘Thank you for everything’.
B-san ‘I haven’t done anything’.
A-san ‘Please let me return the favor in some way someday’.

Polite ‘nani’ and Casual ‘nan’ :butterfly:

The above are the basic rules; let’s get into the exceptions from here. The choice between ‘nani’ and ‘nan’ can also depend on the level of formality. ‘Nani’ is generally more polite/formal, while ‘nan’ is more casual. For example:

なにか欲しいものはありますか?(丁寧)
なんか欲しいものある?(カジュアル)
Is there something you want? (nani - polite)
Do you want something? (nan - casual)

あの、この呪文はなにに効くのでしょうか?(丁寧)
ねえ、この呪文はなんに効くの?(カジュアル)
Excuse me, what does this spell work for? (nani - polite)
Hey, what does this spell do? (nan - casual)

金メダルは確実ですよ。なにせこのチームにはベテランしかいませんからね。(丁寧)
金メダルは確実だよ。なんせこのチームにはベテランしかいないからね。(カジュアル)
A gold medal is a certainty. After all, there are only veterans on this team. (nani - polite)
A gold medal is a sure thing. After all, there are only veterans on this team. (nan - casual)

Another word to keep in mind is ‘nande.’ ‘Nande’ can mean asking for a reason or a means. When asking for a reason, only ‘nande’ is used, while for asking about means, both ‘nanide’ and ‘nande’ can be used. However, if someone asks なんでこれを作ったのですか? (Nande kore wo tsukutta no desuka?), we could be confused because it’s unclear someone is asking for whether the reason or the tool used. So, if the context isn’t clear, it’s better to use ‘nande’ for reasons and ‘nanide’ for means to avoid misunderstandings :ok_hand:

Thank you for reading! See you next week! From Chihiro :smiley_cat:

Answers :100:

• 何かにつけて:なにかにつけて (nani ka ni tsukete)
  • 何で:なんで (nande)
  • 何を:なにを (nani wo)
  • 何匹:なんびき (nan biki)
  • 何とか:なんとか (nan toka)

過去の投稿/Previous posts
7 Likes

Very useful! Thank you for the nice article!

1 Like