嫌な臭いと良い匂い [どっちシリーズ その3]

こんにちは!みなさん、この夏の予定は決まっていますか?私は一足早く夏休みを取り、家族と韓国に行ってきました!韓国に行くのは実に十年ぶりでしたが、魚の臭いが漂う海鮮市場を散策したり、種類が豊富な韓国コスメを物色したり、博物館で歴史を学んだり、海の匂いを感じながらトッポギを食べたりと、充実した旅でした :airplane:

さて、ここまでに「におい」という言葉が二回登場したことにお気づきでしょうか?「臭い」と「匂い」です。どちらも鼻で感じる刺激のことですが、漢字の使い方は微妙に違います。今回は、その使い分けについてお話しましょう!

「臭い」と「匂い」の違い :dog: :bouquet:

「におい」を表す漢字は「臭い」と「匂い」。一般的に前者は悪臭に、後者は良い香りに使われます。

「臭」という漢字はもともと、犬がにおいを嗅ぐ様子からできたと言われています。この漢字は「自」と「大」で構成されていますが、もともと「自」は鼻、「大」は犬を表していたようです。中国由来の漢字なので、音読みがあります。

一方、「匂い」の由来は、日本固有の言葉「にほひ」です。この言葉はもともと、香りだけでなく、色彩や気品などの美しさも表していました。これに「匂い」という漢字が当てられるようになったのですが、この漢字は和製漢字(国字)のため音読みがありません。

公式に「におい」の使い分けが必要になったのは最近の話 :open_mouth:

実は、「におい」の使い分けが公式に求められるようになったのは2010年以降のことのようです。それまでは常用漢字表に「におい」と読む漢字がなく、「におい」はひらがなで表記されていました。ところが、2010年の常用漢字表の改定で、漢字の「匂」が追加され、さらに訓読みは「くさい」だけだった「臭い」にも「におい」という読みが加わりました。そのため、「臭い」と「匂い」を公式に使い分ける必要が出てきたのです。

常用漢字? :eyes:
内閣が定める「法令,公⽤⽂書,新聞,雑誌,放送など,⼀般の社会⽣活において,現代の国語を書き表す場合の漢字使⽤の⽬安」。現在、2,136の漢字がこれに含まれ、日本の教育では、小学校から高校までの間に全ての読み書きができるようになる仕組みになっている。2007年に実施された文化庁の調査によると、常用漢字だけで実際に使われている漢字の96%強をカバーしているとのこと。2010年の改定によって、カバー率は上がっているかも。

では、それ以前に今のような漢字の使い分けは存在していなかったのか?というと、もちろんそうではありません。例えば、1914年に発表された夏目漱石の小説『こころ』でもこれら二つの使い分けが見られます。そのため、こうした昔からある実社会での使い分けが、2010年になり常用漢字表に反映されたと見るのがよさそうです。

臭い

• 兄は私を土の臭いを嗅いでも朽ちて行っても惜しくないように見ていた。
  • 彼の今までいた所は北向きの湿っぽい臭いのする汚い部屋でした。

匂い

• 再びそこで故郷の匂いを嗅ぎました。その匂いは私にとって依然として懐かしいものでありました。
  • あなたにも覚えがあるでしょう、生まれた所は空気の色が違います、土地の匂いも格別です、父や母の記憶も濃(こま)かに漂っています。

※古い作品なので、送り仮名を現代日本語の標準に合わせて微修正しています。

良し悪しを判別できないにおいは? :roll_eyes:

「におい」は人によって感じ方が異なるものです。良し悪しの判別が難しい場合は、ひらがなやカタカナで書けばOKです!それから、不快な臭いでも、「臭い臭い」のように、「くさいくさい」や「においにおい」のどちらにも読めて紛らわしい場合、「臭いにおい」や「臭いニオイ」のようにひらがなやカタカナを使って書き分けるとよいでしょう :ok_hand:

なお、辞書によっては臭いと匂いを一緒くたにしているものもあるので、今回説明した使い分けは絶対的なルールではありません :wink: とはいえ、使われ方に傾向がある以上、どちらの漢字を使うかによって相手に与える印象が変わる可能性があることは確か。ぜひ意識してみてください!

では、また来週!千絢 :smiley_cat:

English

Hello everyone! Do you have plans for this summer? I already took an early summer vacation and went to South Korea with my family! It was my first time in ten years. We visited fish markets with the smell of fish in the air, shopped for a lot of Korean cosmetics, went to a few museums to learn Korean history, and ate tteok-bokki (stir-fried rice cakes) while enjoying the sea smell. It was a wonderful trip :airplane:

By the way, did you notice the word ‘smell’ (におい) appearing twice above? In Japanese, the first one is written as 臭い and the second one as 匂い. Both mean ‘smell, but they are used differently. Today, let me explain the difference!

The difference between 臭い and 匂い :dog: :bouquet:

The two kanji for におい are 臭い and 匂い. Generally, 臭い is used for bad smells, and 匂い is used for good smells.

The kanji 臭 originally comes from the image of a dog sniffing. It is made up of 自, meaning nose, and 大, meaning dog. It’s a kanji of Chinese origin, so it has both Onyomi and Kunyomi.

On the other hand, the kanji 匂 comes from the old Japanese word にほひ, which originally meant not just smell but also beauty, like fragrance, color, and elegance. The kanji 匂 was applied for this word, and since that is a made-in-Japan kanji (kokuji), it has no Onyomi.

The official need to differentiate the two kanjis is recent :open_mouth:

Actually, the official need to use kanji for におい started after 2010. Until then, there was no kanji for におい in the Joyo Kanji List (a official list of kanji in common use), and it was written in hiragana. However, in the 2010 revision of the Joyo Kanji List, the kanji 匂 was newly added, and the kanji 臭い, which was only read as くさい, also got the new reading におい. Therefore, it became necessary to officially distinguish between 臭い and 匂い.

Joyo-Kanji (kanji in common use)? :eyes:
The kanji set defined by the Japanese government for use in laws, official documents, newspapers, magazines, and broadcasts. Currently, it includes 2,136 kanji, which Japanese students learn to read and write from elementary to high school. According to a 2007 survey by the Agency for Cultural Affairs, the Joyo Kanji covers over 96% of the kanji actually used. The coverage rate may have been increased with the 2010 revision.

But, did the distinction we have now not exist before? Of course, it did. For example, in Natsume Soseki’s novel ‘Kokoro’ published in 1914, you can see how he used these two differently. Therefore, it can be inferred that these real-life usages from earlier times were reflected in the 2010 revision.

臭い

• 「兄は私を土の臭いを嗅いでも朽ちて行っても惜しくないように見ていた」
  • The prospect of my slowly crumbling away with the odor of earth clinging to me bothered him very little.
  • 「彼の今までいた所は北向きの湿っぽい臭いのする汚い部屋でした。」
  • He had been living, until then, in a squalid, damp room which faced the north.

匂い

• 「再びそこで故郷の匂いを嗅ぎました。その匂いは私にとって依然として懐かしいものでありました。」
  • Again I was able to breathe the air of my native place, which was as dear to me then as it ever was before.
  • 「あなたにも覚えがあるでしょう、生まれた所は空気の色が違います、土地の匂いも格別です、父や母の記憶も濃(こま)かに漂っています。」
  • You know of course that the very air of one’s native place seems different from that of anywhere else. The smell of the earth, even, seems to have a special quality of its own. Besides, I found there to comfort me the tender memory of my father and mother.

※ This is old work, so I slightly adjusted the okurigana to match modern Japanese standards.
※ English translation: by Edwin MaClellan (Tuttle Publishing, 1969)

What about smells that can’t be judged as good or bad? :roll_eyes:

におい can be subjective. If it’s hard to judge whether a smell is good or bad, you can just write it in hiragana or katakana! For confusing cases like 臭い臭い, which can be read as くさいくさい or においにおい, write it as 臭いにおい or 臭いニオイ in hiragana or katakana to make it clear…

Lastly, some dictionaries don’t separate 臭い and 匂い. So, today’s explanation is not an absolute rule :wink: However, since there is the usage tendency, the kanji you choose can change the impression given to the reader. So, just keep this in mind as one of reading and writing tips!

See you next week! Bye! From Chihiro :smiley_cat:

過去の投稿/Previous posts
15 Likes

Thanks again for the great post!

In speaking/conversation then, you mostly use におい for smells, and its ‘goodness’ or ‘badness’ would have to be inferred from context or the rest of the sentence. Would there be occasions where you specifically say くさい in conversation to clearly convey a smells ‘badness’?

2 Likes

Thank you for reading! That’s an interesting point. In everyday conversation, we also use the word くさい to express a bad smell. In fact, it’s more common as it clearly conveys ‘badness,’ as you mentioned! On the other hand, since there isn’t a general standalone word to describe a good smell, it’s common to say 良いにおい or 良い香り.

2 Likes